Mike Stoops

Murfdogg21

19 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Why is who he votes for a bigger factor in his employment than how shitty of a football coach he is? Conservatives now blackballed from sports jobs?

I am definitely happy we dodged that bullet though. 

You can be a conservative - lots of great coaches are. Getting your picture taken in a MAGA hat directly impacts recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Why is who he votes for a bigger factor in his employment than how shitty of a football coach he is? Conservatives now blackballed from sports jobs?

CDC and Sark can easily tell a BMD "you don't know football"
It was easy to tell CDC "What are the players going to think about this picture? Opponents are going to use it to recruit against us"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Conservative yes. but MAGAs are not conservatives.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

It's about narrative.

Mike Stoops has earned has his reputation as a White person in a position of power demeaning mostly minority people.

Trump has earned has his reputation as a White person in a position of power of demeaning minority people, prior to his time as president (housing discrimination 1970s, Central Park Five, birther-ism, eg) and as president (Mexican = rapist, Muslim ban, "law & order," "fine people onboth sides", eg). There are more examples.

It's easy to make a link, and Stoops wearing the hat shows that he hasn't learned the lesson. Even if he supports Trump only for the tax cuts, displaying his political choices is bad for his future in coaching because it reinforces his image as someone who is OK demeaning minority people.

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 6

25 minutes ago, quigley said:

It's about narrative.

Mike Stoops has earned has his reputation as a White person in a position of power demeaning mostly minority people.

Trump has earned has his reputation as a White person in a position of power of demeaning minority people, prior to his time as president (housing discrimination 1970s, Central Park Five, birther-ism, eg) and as president (Mexican = rapist, Muslim ban, "law & order," "fine people onboth sides", eg). There are more examples.

It's easy to make a link, and Stoops wearing the hat shows that he hasn't learned the lesson. Even if he supports Trump only for the tax cuts, displaying his political choices is bad for his future in coaching because it reinforces his image as someone who is OK demeaning minority people.

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

If a primary duty of your job is to convince 18 year olds, who are mostly African-American, to come play football for you, the MAGA hat cannot be overcome.  And it’s just not a race thing.  The young white kids who have any sort of education hate Trump too.  If they have options they will move on from the school that willingly employs a MAGAt.   That Fredo Stoops, who appears to want to continue coaching college kids, cannot realize this is not surprising in the least.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

This may have been a case of Sark just not understanding the nature of this rivalry and Stoops place in it. I am willing to give a pass based on how he went about his other hires even if it was true. Failing fast is a good trait either way.

Tbh it's way more than the rivalry. If Bob was hired onto the staff I wouldn't be complaining at all. This is purely a Mike character problem issue.  I do also doubt the reporting and don't think Stoops was a done deal. That being said if you listen to the reporters then you may have heard that the decision allegedly came from above CDC. If that's the case it came from the President of the University which suggests to me it's about Mike Stoops' aggressive political stances that he publicly displays (don't think anyone cares what they think if they keep it private) and given what happened on 1/6, University leadership simply didn't want to be associated with him in any way.

• Hook 'Em 2

Tbh it's way more than the rivalry. If Bob was hired onto the staff I wouldn't be complaining at all. This is purely a Mike character problem issue.  I do also doubt the reporting and don't think Stoops was a done deal. That being said if you listen to the reporters then you may have heard that the decision allegedly came from above CDC. If that's the case it came from the President of the University which suggests to me it's about Mike Stoops' aggressive political stances that he publicly displays (don't think anyone cares what they think if they keep it private) and given what happened on 1/6, University leadership simply didn't want to be associated with him in any way.
If it was politically motivated (and not because Mikey is a failed cockgoblin) then that's pretty dumb and hypocritical. Plenty of people on staff at UT support BLM which has/had a much more direct relationship with antifa than Trump did with the people who stormed the Capitol. That was egged on by Rudy Giuliani if anyone in a postion of power is to blame.

I think someone pointed out Stoops unresolved character flaws as a coach to CDC or whoever..
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, ousux said:

If it was politically motivated (and not because Mikey is a failed cockgoblin) then that's pretty dumb and hypocritical. Plenty of people on staff at UT support BLM which has/had a much more direct relationship with antifa than Trump did with the people who stormed the Capitol. That was egged on by Rudy Giuliani if anyone in a postion of power is to blame.

I think someone pointed out Stoops unresolved character flaws as a coach to CDC or whoever..

[citation needed] 

Seriously though, I don't want to CR it up and want to keep it at the minimal level possible here while pointing out the connection may exist.

I think it was a lot of factors, but you can't have an openly MAGA type guy recruiting kids to Austin in this environment. It would turn off way too many parents and recruits and reflect poorly on the university at the university presidents level.

I am happy he's gone because he's an asshole and a fucking terrible coach, but I can understand why Hartzell wants to keep MAGA stink away from high profile university positions as much as possible. Whatever reason it takes people to go over the HC's/AD's head and nip the Mike Stoops hiring in the bud is fine by me. 

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

25 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

[citation needed] 

Seriously though, I don't want to CR it up and want to keep it at the minimal level possible here while pointing out the connection may exist.

I think it was a lot of factors, but you can't have an openly MAGA type guy recruiting kids to Austin in this environment. It would turn off way too many parents and recruits and reflect poorly on the university at the university presidents level.

I am happy he's gone because he's an asshole and a fucking terrible coach, but I can understand why Hartzell wants to keep MAGA stink away from high profile university positions as much as possible. Whatever reason it takes people to go over the HC's/AD's head and nip the Mike Stoops hiring in the bud is fine by me. 

You do realize a large portion of recruits are from a republican family, right?  And that Texas is a predominantly republican state?  No CR, but Jezus this is a dumb take, regardless of what side of the aisle you’re on.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

[citation needed] 

This is a catastrophically dumb take but you be you buddy.  

• Like 1