2021 Texas Rangers

CowtownHorn

BP on Evan Carter

EVAN CARTER, OF, TEXAS RANGERS (LOW-A DOWN EAST)

Carter is my favorite. When he was selected 50th overall last June, it was met with a resounding, “huh?” The Eastern Tennessee prep didn’t play much showcase ball, and the Tri-Cities area isn’t a traditional hot bed of high school baseball talent. The next day I got a third-hand report that he could really hit. Okay, sure. When I was doing my rounds on instructs guys, the reports got louder, “first-round talent.” I sent Forest Stulting to see him at minor league camp. He raved about the swing and approach after only one game. The Carolina League is an aggressive assignment for the 18-year-old outfielder, and Down East is a tough place to hit. But if he does hit, as I said on Twitter recently, you will absolutely be sick of us talking about him by midseason.

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

He’ll have value to someone if still healthy in July, doesn’t have to be as a closer. Pretty crazy 29 teams passed on guaranteeing him a big league deal, but only 14 bad innings last year. 

I thought we signed him to a minor league deal?

So if he stays roughly the same. What would we get? Somewhere around a #25 prospect?

6 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I thought we signed him to a minor league deal?

So if he stays roughly the same. What would we get? Somewhere around a #25 prospect?

I hope you’re thinking an individual team’s #25 prospect and not MILB’s #25. Those are reserved for trades for superstars. 

13 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I hope you’re thinking an individual team’s #25 prospect and not MILB’s #25. Those are reserved for trades for superstars. 

Yes. individual teams top 25. I was specifically looking to see what pitching prospects TB had between 25-30. 

Edited by Jameslaw121