2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

4 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

dutch's quote:

"If KD is content to earn a lot less, like currently $200 million less than he would have signing the supermax with OKC (and on track for $100m less at 25 a year), then they can keep the guys together for another 2 years"

but it's $244m vs. $113m (4 yrs).

Anyway, the graph explains much, thanks for that. 

So, he doesnt' really need OKC in his life and still get supermax money? Hey, there's not state tax in Texas! 

Its why the "lost" money that players "give up" is often exaggerated.

3 hours ago, d2o said:

Its why the "lost" money that players "give up" is often exaggerated.

It's not exaggerated, it's just not well understood. That graph was trying to show the potential earnings of going for max money versus deliberately taking less money. It doesn't even factor in the 8% higher tax rate of the state of California, nor the 1.5% tax on citizens of San Francisco (though he may be avoiding this with a different residence).  I mean, that's 9.5% in more taxes to be paid on potentially 200+ million, which is a lot of money. 

It also doesn't take into account what one could do with more money up front, by investing those higher earnings a few years earlier than foregoing the income. It's a huge snowball effect on the individual's wealth, which likely won't be entirely replaced by the endorsements and potential business deals (which can also go south). It's just an extraordinary risk to take as a person, and a huge favor to the team's management, as they could be paying an enormous amount of luxury tax instead. 

4 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

It's not exaggerated, it's just not well understood. That graph was trying to show the potential earnings of going for max money versus deliberately taking less money. It doesn't even factor in the 8% higher tax rate of the state of California, nor the 1.5% tax on citizens of San Francisco (though he may be avoiding this with a different residence).  I mean, that's 9.5% in more taxes to be paid on potentially 200+ million, which is a lot of money. 

It also doesn't take into account what one could do with more money up front, by investing those higher earnings a few years earlier than foregoing the income. It's a huge snowball effect on the individual's wealth, which likely won't be entirely replaced by the endorsements and potential business deals (which can also go south). It's just an extraordinary risk to take as a person, and a huge favor to the team's management, as they could be paying an enormous amount of luxury tax instead. 

I think Kevin realized you can't take it with you when you die and winning is fun.

Just now, Dutchrudder said:

I mean for instance last yr there was a mention that CP3 was leaving so many million on the table by not taking the taking the supermax deal from LAC.   HOU can offer him the same contract this yr summer.  

Often when they talk about other guys losing 30-40M by taking a 4 yr elsewhere vs a 5 yr deal with their home team it ignores the fact that they can sign another contract in that 5th yr elsewhere and make money.   So while they would not get the annually raises as large that is really the only money they are compromising and that difference is usually about 2M or less per yr.

5 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I think Kevin realized you can't take it with you when you die and winning is fun.

For the most part this is true.   Once you get to about 20-25M/yr its more important to be in a situation where you can win than to make more annually.

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m almost, or maybe even am already, to the point where I wish football didn’t have instant replay or challenges.  Basketball can usually do replay reviews more quickly, but they’re still annoying and sometimes can drag on forever, too.  

I don’t want more of that by introducing challenges.  Just keep the game moving. 

Agreed

Rumor: Chris Paul doesn’t plan on taking paycut for Rockets

Most believe that Chris Paul will re-sign with the Houston Rockets this offseason, but if people were hoping that he was going to give the Rockets a discount, that is probably not going to be the case.

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN was hosting his podcast the WojPod and one of the big talking points was Paul’s contract. Wojnarowski thinks if the Rockets want to sign Paul it’s going to take them offering a max contract.

“When the Rockets made that deal for Chris Paul, knowing they would re-sign him [once he hit free agency], they made a conscious decision that they were gonna have to live with [paying him] $46, $47 million a year salary when he’s not nearly the player anymore in his late 30s, but, ‘we’re gonna make a run at it now, we wanna win a championship now.

“We’ll deal with it [Paul’s contract] later.’ We’ll see how that plays out in their contract talks [with Paul] here in free agency. Chris Paul didn’t turn down $200 million from the Clippers because he thought that somehow the Rockets were gonna talk him into saving them luxury tax money. I don’t imagine it playing out that way.”

Like Wojnarowski said, the thing the Rockets are going to have to weigh is will Paul’s $47 million a year contract at 37 or 38 being worth it for a few years of a really good Paul now.

Or will the Rockets decide to move in a different direction and try to find someone that can not only help them win now but won’t be such a burden later in his career.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-chris-paul-doesnt-plan-on-taking-paycut/

19 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

If losing Chris Paul makes it financially easier to nab LeBron then I don’t even give a shit about losing CP3 if I’m Houston. LeBron can come in and start at PG for me anyway. Bron, Harden, Capela, and some role players? Yes please.

I think people believe that in order to get CP3 to opt in last year, the Rockets may have already made a "handshake" commitment to him.

Edited by Ricky Butler

41 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

If losing Chris Paul makes it financially easier to nab LeBron then I don’t even give a shit about losing CP3 if I’m Houston. LeBron can come in and start at PG for me anyway. Bron, Harden, Capela, and some role players? Yes please.

i thoujght the draw to Houston for Bron was CP3 himself. If CP3 is gone, his buddy has been sacrificed so he might not be so happy to come.

10 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

i thoujght the draw to Houston for Bron was CP3 himself. If CP3 is gone, his buddy has been sacrificed so he might not be so happy to come.

As of now I don’t think Bron has many viable options. This is the exact same scenario KD was in. He’s paying for a team that is ostensibly close to being a title contender, but in reality it is not going to happen there. The only way he can actually improve upon his current situation is to join a team that truly is ready to compete. Unless/until some teams make some big roster moves to make room for King James, then I can’t imagine why he’d go anywhere besides Philly or Houston. He can do the “noble” thing, the thing so many shagsters would have done, and he can go join some shit team and ruin the rest of his career, all so that Vic Mackey doesn’t think he’s a bitch; but something tells me he isn’t going to do that.

Edited by Goo Punch

54 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Lebron's not going to Houston unless CP3 is there.... They're best friends, that's the allure....

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Lebron's not going to Houston unless CP3 is there.... They're best friends, that's the allure....

I know they’re bff’s who’ve openly always wanted to play together, but I don’t see either or if them having a lot of leverage over the Rockets due to a lack of other viable options. If either of them wants to win a title between now and the end of his career then their options are limited. At the end of the day if CP3 holding out for more money means he can’t play with LeBron then that would just confirm his status as a great player who is a total twat.

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I know they’re bff’s who’ve openly always wanted to play together, but I don’t see either or if them having a lot of leverage over the Rockets due to a lack of other viable options. If either of them wants to win a title between now and the end of his career then their options are limited. At the end of the day if CP3 holding out for more money means he can’t play with LeBron then that would just confirm his status as a great player who is a total twat.

CP3 is president of the Union.  Lebron is VP.  They've both used their posts to bring about changes in the CBA to allow them to max out later in life and also been very active in encouraging all players to never take less than their optimal market and let the owners figure it out or pay luxury tax.  Would they go against their principles?  Maybe, but doubtful.  It's also extremely unlikely Lebron is going to Houston without CP3.  Lebron would want Houston to get rid of Capela before CP3 and Morey has already said that he's going to do everything he can to get Paul to stay..... They'll be paying it up.

986ce1891575a66bafe91a51cfdbb48813420455

Edited by Patrick Bateman

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

CP3 made concessions last year to help Morey pull off an impossible trade. They aren't going to fuck him over this offseason.

David Griffin on Lebron....

http://amicohoops.net/former-cavs-gm-griffin-76ers-will-have-leg-up-in-pursuit-of-lebron/

“I don’t know what boxes he would be checking. I think staying in the East probably gives him the best chance to win a championship if he was going to leave Cleveland,” Griffin told Gelb during an excellent interview. “Maybe staying in Cleveland gives him the best chance to get there, I don’t know. If I knew what boxes he was going to check, I’d have a better feel for it.”

Then, Gelb, who said during the interview he lives in Philadelphia but does his show from New York, asked Griffin about the 76ers’ chances of courting and landing James.

“I do think it is significant, though, that Rich Paul is the representative for Ben Simmons as well,” Griffin said. “So he’s going to know the organization very well, and I think that will certainly give them a leg up, because I know Brett Brown is somebody that you’re going to look at when you’re LeBron, and you’re going to look at Pop, you’re going to look at the coach in LA … all the teams he’s went to, coaching is going to matter.

“And I think because Ben has intimate knowledge of Coach Brown, that will probably help.”

Griffin to Philly just makes too much sense. That dude would do so well there with all their assets and cap space. He might even be able to bring in Lebron, which would be huuuuuuuuuge. Guy has a great resume, dealt with the biggest personality in sports for years, and doesn't have any twitter scandals in his past. He's a slam dunk hire in place of those Colangelo regards. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

Woj and Morey were on ESPN's "NBA Draft: On the Clock" special, and dropped a lot of interesting things. I'll repost the stuff I see from Twitter. https://twitter.com/BlazersBySagar

The Sixers have interviewed Bryan Colangelo and his wife separately for multiple hours. Thinks the Sixers have to make a decision in the next 24 hours.

Brett Brown's ability to recruit free agents will help the Sixers soften the blow of the Colangelo scandal in meetings with potential free agent signings. Players respect Brown and that word gets around.

Six months ago, DeMarcus Cousins was a max contract candidate and now New Orleans is looking to bring him back on a short-term deal to evaluate post-Achilles injury performance.

Dallas will have interest in signing Cousins, but what they do on draft night on June 21 will factor into how the Mavericks view Cousins come July 1.

Don't discount the potential for sign-and-trade opportunities for Cousins.

If Anthony Davis is in New Orleans, he wants DeMarcus Cousins there with him.

Oklahoma City has done a good job of marketing the team to Paul George. He liked playing with Russell Westbrook, Steven Adams, and Billy Donovan.

Houston will be aggressive in trying to acquire Paul George.

LeBron James and Paul George will have a conversation about teaming up together in Los Angeles closer to July.

Toronto wants to get their coaching search wrapped up in the next week or so.

Nobody on Toronto is untouchable in a trade, and the league knows that.

Chicago will be sneaky in free agency. They have a young core people want to play with.

Indiana may start to have contract extension talks with Nate McMillan this summer.

The Spurs want to continue building around Kawhi Leonard. Gregg Popovich will sit down with Leonard sometime between now and the draft on June 21 to determine if the relationship can be repaired.

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Is there some sort of weird fantasy about Paul George being the key to any teams chances at beating GS? LeBron/PG on the Lakers, they still  would need a 3rd superstar better than PG to beat them with their current roster make up..

Ingram def isn't there yet, but he has the look of a guy who could be pretty fucking good. And he's the kind of guy who can switch everything on defense that you need against GS

The Ringer brought this up today: if LeBron wants to be a Celtic, he'd probably only need to ask. Just has to tell them to trade Kyrie for him (in a 3-teamer, obviously, since there's no way that Cleveland would want Kyrie back for a lame duck year; so maybe bring in New York or San Antonio). Easy path to the Finals, can immediately compete with Golden State (and probably looks better on paper), set up to win big for the rest of his career, can still dominate the ball with complimentary young stars around him, can save his energy on defense, AND gets to fuck over Kyrie.

jt would be very displeased.

• Like 1