2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

24 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The Ringer brought this up today: if LeBron wants to be a Celtic, he'd probably only need to ask. Just has to tell them to trade Kyrie for him (in a 3-teamer, obviously, since there's no way that Cleveland would want Kyrie back for a lame duck year; so maybe bring in New York or San Antonio). Easy path to the Finals, can immediately compete with Golden State (and probably looks better on paper), set up to win big for the rest of his career, can still dominate the ball with complimentary young stars around him, can save his energy on defense, AND gets to fuck over Kyrie.

jt would be very displeased.

This would be awesome. Also, all of Boston's future picks would help sprinkle in young talent... something the Cavs never could do.

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

This would be awesome. Also, all of Boston's future picks would help sprinkle in young talent... something the Cavs never could do.

They'd have to throw a pick or two Cleveland's way to entice them to take whatever decent players and expiring deals New York or San Antonio could offer, but they'd still have enough picks to keep building through the draft. As well as the "break in case of emergency" option of trading Brown or Tatum down the road.

On 6/6/2018 at 12:48 PM, Ricky Butler said:

I think we are heading towards a Space Jam scenario.

At that point, why not just put the best of the rest on a rotating contract with all the other teams, just to beat GSW with Steph/ Klay/ Dre/ KD & LJ in the Finals next year..?

38 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

They'd have to throw a pick or two Cleveland's way to entice them to take whatever decent players and expiring deals New York or San Antonio could offer, but they'd still have enough picks to keep building through the draft. As well as the "break in case of emergency" option of trading Brown or Tatum down the road.

San Antonio?  Where did this come from?  The rumor is Kyrie wants the Knicks....

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

San Antonio?  Where did this come from?  The rumor is Kyrie wants the Knicks....

The Ringer can throw shit against the wall, so can I. The three teams that were on Kyrie's list of teams that he wanted to be traded to last offseason were NY, Minnesota, or San Antonio. There's clearly mutual respect there, and San Antonio could be looking to make a move to appease Kawhi.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

The Ringer can throw shit against the wall, so can I. The three teams that were on Kyrie's list of teams that he wanted to be traded to last offseason were NY, Minnesota, or San Antonio. There's clearly mutual respect there, and San Antonio could be looking to make a move to appease Kawhi.

Gotcha..... Don't know how that would happen structurally with the cap (someone would have to take Paul Gasol's deal) but he has a reasonable deal..... 

I think he stays in Boston but it had to be hard to see them get so close without him.

It's hilarious to see Chauncey and Jalen not understand where the game is going...... Paul is giving em' the truth and they're still just looking incredulous.  

Chauncey doesn't seem to have the analytic skills to be a good GM.  He'd need a lot good guys around him.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman

48 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I'm sure every team has interest  in Davis.   

Yea.... that's click bait.  Who cares.  He's not going anywhere next season..... and probably not the season after unless it falls apart.  I'm more interested to see if they can/want to re-sign Cousins and if not, could they work a S&T and pick up a good 3 and D player?

27 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

What exactly do people think a 3 time All-Star, 3 time all-NBA, 2 time All-defense and DPOY would garner on the open market??? 

Bear in mind, John Wall is set to start his 4 years 170 million dollar contract.  

hes a hell of a defender and distributor. but if youre not getting 20+ppg and probably couldnt if he was the #1 option in orlando, 226 million is a lot for that type of player.

hes in the perfect role, of course i would be to with kd, steph and klay

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

hes a hell of a defender and distributor. but if youre not getting 20+ppg and probably couldnt if he was the #1 option in orlando, 226 million is a lot for that type of player.

hes in the perfect role, of course i would be to with kd, steph and klay

I understand and agree 226m should probably be saved for a true organizational cornerstone but what do people think a guy like Draymond is worth in today's dollars???  I have a feeling folks will underestimate his worth.  Of course, in 2 years, he'll be 30 so much riskier proposition.... I mean Harrison Barnes is gonna make over 24 million this year.  The length of the contract or average annual value the number folks look at here?  Would you rather have a guy like Chris Paul at his age or Draymond?  Paul Millsap or Draymond?  FTR, I hate the fucker too...

Draymond makes that death lineup work though, maybe KD makes him replaceable but then GSW says that Iggy is THE esential connective tissue, so who the hell knows.

If you replace Draymond with PJ Tucker, would they still win 3 championships? If yes, then he is not worth the max.

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

What exactly do people think a 3 time All-Star, 3 time all-NBA, 2 time All-defense and DPOY would garner on the open market??? 

Bear in mind, John Wall is set to start his 4 years 170 million dollar contract.  

he'll be 30 by the time his next contract rolls around and his game is based on playing balls out 100% of the time.  he barely shoots 30% from 3 these days and he'll likely be a step or two slower two years from now.  he's worth a lot, but nowhere near $45.2 million/year (226 - 5 years).

15 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

he'll be 30 by the time his next contract rolls around and his game is based on playing balls out 100% of the time.  he barely shoots 30% from 3 these days and he'll likely be a step or two slower two years from now.  he's worth a lot, but nowhere near $45.2 million/year (226 - 5 years).

I pointed out his age in another post so I get it and folks also need to understand he'll have to win DPOY again or make the All-NBA team in the next couple of years to get the supermax so he's probably not going to qualify nor get an offer that strong considering the velocity of the cap has slowed down substantially.   He's going to receive a 3/72m offer this summer and he's going to turn it down and bet he can play out his contract and get more than 24m AAV and a little longer contract.  If he's healthy and still playing at a high level, I'm going to guess he does do better than the extension offer.  He has regressed offensively since 15/16' but most of his value is wrapped up in defense and he's the emotional leader of the Warriors.  It's also instructive to remember he took less when he signed his current deal so they could afford a max player who ended up being KD so ownership may feel a little bit indebted..... Fuck, he should get 40 million alone for calling KD from his car after the Finals and begging him to play for the W's.  lol.

14 hours ago, Message Board User said:

If there was any justice in this world, he would have been drafted by Orlando and none of us would have ever heard of him.

Golden State basically was modern day Orlando when Draymond was drafted there.  They were coming off a 23-43 season and, a few months earlier, had just traded their best, most popular player (Monta fucking Ellis) to go all in on this scrawny, injury prone point guard who had only played 26 games that season.

The training camp before their first title, Kerr and his assistants had Draymond slotted as a 12 minutes per game bench guy.  Despite playing extremely well in the previous postseason under Mark Jackson, Kerr didn't think that Dray had much of a role in a free-flowing offensive system.  Then, David Lee got hurt, and Draymond exceeded all expectations in taking his job permanently.  They don't go 67-15, win a ring, then go 73-9 the year after with David Lee as their 2nd best player.  Obviously. 

Dray has earned what he's achieved and deserves a little more credit than "Of course he's good, look who he's playing with."

• Like 2

I don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that he's a great player, exceeded  expectations and has earned whatever  he gets.   I just don't think he's a super  max type player.  Whatever the next level is, he's that.   You want a supermax player to be a guy you can give the ball to and say "we need and basket".  He's not that.  If he's your best player then your team is not very good.  

15 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that he's a great player, exceeded  expectations and has earned whatever  he gets.   I just don't think he's a super  max type player.  Whatever the next level is, he's that.   You want a supermax player to be a guy you can give the ball to and say "we need and basket".  He's not that.  If he's your best player then your team is not very good.  

Shit, I'd argue that no one is a super max player except for LeBron.  Even Steph's near super max is only palatable because Golden State already has its core intact and can just keep re-signing those guys.  Wall, Westrook, Harden/CP3 (Houston may be okay maxing them both out in the short term since they still have control of Capela), and potentially Kawhi's contracts are going to make adding sufficient help nearly impossible in the future.

So yeah, if the argument is if Draymond is worth that, the answer is clearly no.  I was just responding to MBU's implication the Draymond was drafted into an embarrassment of riches.

Edited by aggie08

12 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Agreed..... In today's dollars that would be about 5/175m for a guy who re-signs with his own team and under 10 years of service time.  That gives me heartburn..... if you account for 2 years from now, then maybe 5/185m???  I think if he's playing like he did last season (not his career year), he'll get close to that..... And no, I probably wouldn't give it to him but he's the heart of that team.

Draymond is one of the most versatile players in the league.  He's being underestimated.

No, he's not a scorer, but he does a lot of things very well and is consistent.  

But his 2020 contract status today can't be predicted at all.

He could get better. He could get injured. He could win DPOY two more times.

Assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff, he's going to earn 30 per.

• Like 2

Saw on the Inter-Google that there's believe PG could stay in OKC, at least for the short term.  (He'd be giving up a YUGE amount of money in going to the Lakers, especially if you factor in taxes but Durant essentially did the same thing.)  

OKC could build around Westbrook, PG, and Adams and have a great team but Presti would have to find supporting players that aren't dreadful and that's something he doesn't seem to be very good at.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Saw on the Inter-Google that there's believe PG could stay in OKC, at least for the short term.  (He'd be giving up a YUGE amount of money in going to the Lakers, especially if you factor in taxes but Durant essentially did the same thing.)  

OKC could build around Westbrook, PG, and Adams and have a great team but Presti would have to find supporting players that aren't dreadful and that's something he doesn't seem to be very good at.

Marc Stein wrote something and it's been making the rounds..... Doubt he would give up any money if he wants to go to LA, I would expect Presti to simply work out a distressed trade to the Lakers and get some type of assets back.  

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Shit, I'd argue that no one is a super max player except for LeBron.  Even Steph's near super max is only palatable because Golden State already has its core intact and can just keep re-signing those guys.  Wall, Westrook, Harden/CP3 (Houston may be okay maxing them both out in the short term since they still have control of Capela), and potentially Kawhi's contracts are going to make adding sufficient help nearly impossible in the future.

So yeah, if the argument is if Draymond is worth that, the answer is clearly no.  I was just responding to MBU's implication the Draymond was drafted into an embarrassment of riches.

If you were a GM of a below .500 team like say the Hornets and you had a boatload of FA money to acquire Green at 35 million a year, would you?

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

If you were a GM of a below .500 team like say the Hornets and you had a boatload of FA money to acquire Green at 35 million a year, would you?

No. But what does that have to do with anything?

Edited by aggie08

11 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I wouldnt sign him to be "the guy".

If i had 2 other young transcending stars that can score 25 a night, I would.

I wouldnt sign him just to sign him if hes surrounded by spares

Yea, that seems to be his environment and his range.  Probably somewhere between 150-175m if he's healthy and playing at a similar level.  He never said anything about the supermax and those numbers are really put out there as clickbait.  He seems to have a pretty good idea about his market and associative benefits.

36 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I would just for the entertainment value. It would be awesome to watch Draymond lose 65 games a year and get trash talked by every scrub in the league. 

11 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

11 hours ago, aggie08 said:

No. But what does that have to do with anything?

Because that’s how markets work. If you want your franchise to stay relevant, you don’t overpay for a guy just because he’s already on your team.

I hope Brooklyn offers him a max contract and we can all watch a Draymond led team go 12-70. No one knows what Draymond really is on the court when you are surrounded by 3 of the greatest shooters of all time, take them away and lets see Draymond facilitate when truly being guarded or kicking it out to a meh shooter. Plus Draymond can't score ata high consistent rate. But I hope he does get the max somewhere else and I think his loud mouth ego will go after it but it won't be in GS.

21 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

i don't know why anyone would want to play with Westbrook. It's a career stopper. Get me the hell out of here. 

On OKC, the issue is if, and let's face it when Melo opts back in, even if PG comes back they have no real choice but to run it back.  They can probably make one smaller move with an exception but the core of that team will be similar and Westbrook hasn't proven he can make any of his teammates better.  If Melo surprisingly moved on, and PG opted out and then signed a 2/1 contract, OKC is still capped out with 70 million going to Russell, Adams, and Roberson along with a new 30 million for PG and they're up against the cap.  They could do some trades but don't have many assets anymore....

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

On OKC, the issue is if, and let's face it when Melo opts back in, even if PG comes back they have no real choice but to run it back.  They can probably make one smaller move with an exception but the core of that team will be similar and Westbrook hasn't proven he can make any of his teammates better.  If Melo surprisingly moved on, and PG opted out and then signed a 2/1 contract, OKC is still capped out with 70 million going to Russell, Adams, and Roberson along with a new 30 million for PG and they're up against the cap.  They could do some trades but don't have many assets anymore....

I have no clue why PG would want to stay playing with westbrook. I find it hard to believe that PG is leaning that way with better options out there.