2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

12 hours ago, d2o said:

they took him to get Russell.

I thought Dwight had a very good year for CHA and I didn't hear of any issues with him this season.    MJ is involved in this so I'm gonna default to it being a bad move until proven otherwise.

Actually it is a Mitch Kupchak move. Mitch signed Mosgov to that horrible contract in LA, he's now the GM in Charlotte.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 8:48 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

yep, I dont think you could've said it any better. failed gamble all together which is a shame. he can look real good when applied and not settling for 19 foot jump shots. ah well, wasnt gonna get a better package for Love at the time of the trade. Michael Knight has been a big Wiggins supporter since day 1, and I keep telling him hes wasting his time rooting for him but he doesnt want to listen.

If there's a coach in the league that can unleash his untapped potential it's Thibs

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

If there's a coach in the league that can unleash his untapped potential it's Thibs

I used to have a lot of confidence in Thibs.  He completely lost me these last couple yrs.   The Wolves would be good to cut bait.   Especially given the fact that they gave him player personnel power.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Why couldn’t Charlotte buy him out instead of taking on a bad contract to be rid of him?

Probably for the picks..... Charlotte has so many terrible contracts, it's going to take a couple of years to really reset.  Batum's contract is top 5 worst in NBA.  Also Mitch obviously think Mozgov can still have utility.... but mainly for the picks.  

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Probably for the picks..... Charlotte has so many terrible contracts, it's going to take a couple of years to really reset.  Batum's contract is top 5 worst in NBA.  Also Mitch obviously think Mozgov can still have utility.... but mainly for the picks.  

This here.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So you're still operating under the assumption Lebron is going back to Cleveland then....

correct, I think they/he will be looking to bring other guys in rather than going to join someone else.

Edited by d2o

Even if LeBron does stay...no good player is going to want to play with Dwight ever again. The Cavs have enough tendency to turn on each other and roll their eyes as is. I doubt that potentially facilitating Dwight's reclamation story is of any interest to Bron.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Even if LeBron does stay...no good player is going to want to play with Dwight ever again. The Cavs have enough tendency to turn on each other and roll their eyes as is. I doubt that potentially facilitating Dwight's reclamation story is of any interest to Bron.

I hear you but I think he would be a CHEAP and huge upgrade from Tristan.  

The Mavs believe they have a strong chance of signing DeMarcus Cousins in free agency this summer, according to Michael Scotto of The Athletic.

Adrian Wojnarowski has also mentioned that the Mavs are expected to go after a center in free agency, and Cousins grew up somewhat near Dallas as an Alabama native. Cousins is progressing in his rehab as he is already doing work on a treadmill with some conditioning in a pool. He likely won't be 100 percent to start this upcoming season.

59 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The problem with that is Charlotte routinely blows it's picks.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Alabama is somewhat near Dallas? Lulz. Such a fucking reach of a reason why he might sign in Dallas. Hell Darren Williams grew up just miles away and didn't sign here.

I think what's implied in all Cousins talk is "if you're crazy enough to pay him..."

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Alabama is somewhat near Dallas? Lulz. Such a fucking reach of a reason why he might sign in Dallas. Hell Darren Williams grew up just miles away and didn't sign here.

I thought I was missing some sort of Texas Insider thing when I read that hhahahahahahaha

31 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Doesn't that tax go right back to all under the cap teams?  Which  teams are those again?

I was talking about teams like the Nuggets, Trailblazers, and Thunder. Teams that may pay the tax, but not having the on court success they want. I'm not sure how that revenue is distributed, but I know a lot of owners are allergic to paying it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/rumor-tension-between-chris-paul-182131023.html

From what I’m told, there is tension now between Houston and Chris Paul. Because there was definitely some type of handshake, wink wink, “we’re going to max you out” last summer. But here’s the thing: Now, they’re not so sure. Houston, with good reason, doesn’t want to do that. But they’ve got an out, because they have new ownership. So, Daryl Morey can go to Chris Paul and be like, “I want to do it, but we’ve got the new owner doesn’t want to give you five years, four years.”

Grain of salt.... It's from multiple sauces.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

thats a tough one. hed be 37, 38 when its done and obviously has 1 or 2 elite years left...

i know i know, they took GS to game 7...if that series was played 10 times, GS would win 7-8 of them...This year was one of the 2 Houston would've won but CP3 getting injured obviously nixed that

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

52 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

When is the players association going to educate these guys about these handshake wink wink deals?   Who's running the players union anyways? 

Ha, ha, ha..... Nice.

Leadership

Executive Committee

CP-Everydaydad-250-150x150.jpg

Chris Paul
President

LebronJames-ec-150x150.jpg

LeBron James
First Vice President

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Does Chris Paul believe his one season with the Rockets including missing the two most important playoff games of the past 20 years, entitles him to $25M+ guaranteed for more than 4 years when he’s 38, averaging 10/7 in 25 mpg for the half season he plays?

yes.

10 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Does Chris Paul believe his one season with the Rockets including missing the two most important playoff games of the past 20 years, entitles him to $25M+ guaranteed for more than 4 years when he’s 38, averaging 10/7 in 25 mpg for the half season he plays?

Correct.  He already gave up money by opting in so he could be traded to fit in the cap.  He also was the Rockets' best player in the most important series until he blew out a tire..... which objectively, is a historic issue for him.  He's going to get the max or close to it somewhere.  He already sacrificed for the organization, time to make good on their end is generally how players see it.

Correct.  He already gave up money by opting in so he could be traded to fit in the cap.  He also was the Rockets' best player in the most important series until he blew out a tire..... which objectively, is a historic issue for him.  He's going to get the max or close to it somewhere.  He already sacrificed for the organization, time to make good on their end is generally how players see it.

The Clippers weren't giving him a supermax to begin with. He hasn't sacrificed anything. If he wants 4 years 140m from another team in free agency, he can go find it. KD is willing to take $10m paycuts to win rings, why they fuck won't Chris Paul? At least make the last year or two team options and it's all good, but the team can't do it with no protections.
  • Like 1

Paul wouldn’t take a deal like that but it’s the most fair to all parties. The Rockets shouldn’t be forced to over pay for the years he feels underpaid for in NO and LAC. 

Good point on KD. 2nd best player on the planet takes multiple submax deals to form the greatest team ever. Paul demanding supermax basically shuts down Rockets opportunity to improve their odds any better than this past year, and dooms them to dead cap garbage in 2021 and beyond. 

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Harden was horrible from 3 against the Warriors but no matter how much people want to hate him, he was still very easily the Rockets best player against Golden State.

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:
6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The Clippers weren't giving him a supermax to begin with. He hasn't sacrificed anything. If he wants 4 years 140m from another team in free agency, he can go find it. KD is willing to take $10m paycuts to win rings, why they fuck won't Chris Paul? At least make the last year or two team options and it's all good, but the team can't do it with no protections.

He could have opted out and signed a deal in Free Agency which would have paid him about 10 million more this season, that's his sacrifice from his perspective, a S&T with 2 and 1 PTO.  Both sides will have their perspectives, but I wouldn't fuck around too much.  Doesn't sound like Lebron is considering Houston and there will be other suitors....