2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

My wild ass guess before shit goes down this weekend:

Mavs - DAJ & Smart 

Rockets - CP3 & LBJ 

Spurs - they will just take the bitter pill and trade Kawhi for Ingram & Kuzma. Lakers also get PG13.

OKC - dump Melo for another expiring. Westbrook goes for 2nd MVP

Cavs - firesale, Love to 76ers/Blazers

Warriors - signs Dwight...lol

Edited by Chapo

8 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

They’re going to have to be a special kind of suck to not have that draft pick convey in the next few years. Cuban also runs the team like a business and doesn’t realize building a quality team takes some time. He’s always tried to swing for the fences in trades since he bought the team.

You guys are looking at this the wrong way. The Mavs haven't made single move that fucks up their future yet. Swapping DAJ for Wes Matthews is essentially the same contract. The team they roll out next year would not be terrible unless they tanked. The Process is not the only way to rebuild. You can combine tanking, trading, and free agency.

27 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

That may be the case,  but as long as they're giving Doncic and DSJ ample playing time I'm good with it.  The problem with trades/free agent pickups like this is Carlisle will have them in playoff contention and end up running Yogi, JJ, and whatever new facsimile of Devin Harris they grab for 30+ minutes a game in lieu of Doncic & DSJ. That's the type of shit I won't be able to stomach this season. 

Totally agree. If the young guys are playing, I'm good. If not, then what the hell is the point?

Gotta think that, if LeBron+Kawhi+PG is looking likely, Boston will jump in at the 11th hour and include Brown in their offers to SA.  Any other team maybe they'd let it happen and take their chances with their current roster...but hard to see them letting LA build a potential dynasty when they have the power to throw a wrench in it (at least for a year).

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Gotta think that, if LeBron+Kawhi+PG is looking likely, Boston will jump in at the 11th hour and include Brown in their offers to SA.  Any other team maybe they'd let it happen and take their chances with their current roster...but hard to see them letting LA build a potential dynasty when they have the power to throw a wrench in it (at least for a year).

Philly...... I think they're the fulcrum and reportedly, Kawhi's "team" understands it's a suitable destination as well.  Boston could offer the most, but they won't.  I think if Ainge can't get a distressed deal, he'll be there to drive up the price.  Philly is clearly behind Boston and they have to get better and they have Redick as a UFA to deal with so this summer is probably their best window to really make a move.  They don't have a good draft pick for 3 years.  They want PG but I don't think he's considering them seriously.  Who else could they go after who would be a huge difference maker?  Boogie?  No.  Capela?  No.  Randle?  Not really.  They desperately need a wing who can shoot and frankly, who can generate their own shot or playmake b/c Simmons is too easy to guard in the post season right now....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They still need to T Young to opt out or else this is wishful thinking......

wont matter,  ORL will and should match.   They are not in the position to let guys leave for nothing.  Match and trade him next yr

13 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/06/free-agent-rumors-favors-lavine-curry-hezonja.html

"The Wizards, Bucks and Warriors have been mentioned as potential landing spots for Favors."

If the Warriors land Favors....

He's gotta be worth a whole hell of a lot more than $5.3M.  He's not old enough to ring chase.

45 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I wonder if the Spurs value J Brown or Ingram more. Seems like Ingram may have higher offensive upside.

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

He's gotta be worth a whole hell of a lot more than $5.3M.  He's not old enough to ring chase.

Probably but I don't rule that out in today's NBA world. Players ring chase. I have no doubt the Warriors are going to get some players for a discount. It might not be Favors but it's going to be someone.

13 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I wonder if the Spurs value J Brown or Ingram more. Seems like Ingram may have higher offensive upside.

Jaylen Brown is much better defensively. He's probably the top asset the Spurs are after. 

Which is why I think it's going to take both Kuzma and Ingram. 

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

Mavs - DAJ & Smart 

Rockets - CP3 & LBJ 

Spurs - they will just take the bitter pill and trade Kawhi for Ingram & Kuzma. Lakers also get PG13.

Melo to SA for kawhi and whatever bad $10mm contract SA has on its books. A 1 year rental but one that might get okc to the wcf and will save the locker room from Anthony. We lose both kawhi and pg13 the following year and have to take our medicine. Spurs get a big name back on an expiring contract. Throw in a pick if needed.  Maybe they can please melo. 

Edited by Jhawk

32 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Probably but I don't rule that out in today's NBA world. Players ring chase. I have no doubt the Warriors are going to get some players for a discount. It might not be Favors but it's going to be someone.

Right now, the prohibitive favorite for ring chasing vet they have a good shot at is Jamal Crawford (will his shooting % fall below his age this year?!).  For the minimum, not the MLE at least.  I doubt they'll land anyone in the Favors/Ariza/Barton tier...$5.3M is just too far below the market.  And they might not even use the MLE if it's not for a really nice player since it will cost them $17M more in taxes if they do.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Melo to SA for kawhi and whatever bad $10mm contract SA has on its books. A 1 year rental but one that might get okc to the wcf and will save the locker room from Anthony. We lose both kawhi and pg13 the following year and have to take our medicine. Spurs get a big name back on an expiring contract. Throw in a pick if needed.  Maybe they can please melo. 

hhn.gif

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

is GS keeping Nick Young?

Zero chance.  Unless he wants to stay on on a minimum contract.  Like I said, the MLE is going to cost them over $20M all said and done if they use it.  That player had better be worth it.

12 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Why on earth would SA want Melo?

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

As a fan, I’d be willing to take SA’s worst contract to get rid of melo even just for a year. I’d gladly give picks to get rid of him as well. 

You're a fucking moron.

• Like 3

Pacers can waive/trade Al Jefferson (4 mil guaranteed out of 10 mil) and Collison (2 mil guaranteed out of 10 mil).  I'm not saying it is probable (they should keep Collison) but still possible to make room for Gordon.

7 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Pacers can waive/trade Al Jefferson (4 mil guaranteed out of 10 mil) and Collison (2 mil guaranteed out of 10 mil).  I'm not saying it is probable (they should keep Collison) but still possible to make room for Gordon.

Be pretty silly for a player expected to be matched.  Maybe the can put in some type of poison pill but pretty risky position.... Collison was arguably a top 3 player for them.

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Lebron/Klutch have been reaching out to everyone..... They're behind most of the Kawhi mania too.

How would the cap space fit if LeBron/ KD & PG + CP3 all teamed up for the Lakers, or is that 1 superstar too many for the expenses of the franchise..?

8 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

How would the cap space fit if LeBron/ KD & PG + CP3 all teamed up for the Lakers, or is that 1 superstar too many for the expenses of the franchise..?

Huh?  Like all 4 or just 3 of them?  You can't do all 4 unless one or multiple of them are taking a lot less money..... so realistically, you can't do 4.  The Lakers can barely do 3 and they'd have to trade for at least one.  Once PG and Lebron sign, then the 3rd star would have to be acquired by trade and the Lakers would likely have to gut a lot of their team.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Huh?  Like all 4 or just 3 of them?  You can't do all 4 unless one or multiple of them are taking a lot less money..... so realistically, you can't do 4.  The Lakers can barely do 3 and they'd have to trade for at least one.  Once PG and Lebron sign, then the 3rd star would have to be acquired by trade and the Lakers would likely have to gut a lot of their team.

Ok, thanks that's what I was wondering, as it sound too expensive... Just goes to show how much KD going to Golden State was just the anomaly of the generation where revenues all aligned for the Warriors (and Seattle gets a good laugh at Oklahoma City)...

12 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Ok, thanks that's what I was wondering, as it sound too expensive... Just goes to show how much KD going to Golden State was just the anomaly of the generation where revenues all aligned for the Warriors (and Seattle gets a good laugh at Oklahoma City)...

I'm hearing the cap balloons again next off-season.

6 hours ago, Chapo said:

Mavs - DAJ & Smart 

Rockets - CP3 & LBJ 

If the Spurs let Kawhi go to LA I think its a foregone conclusion that LeBron goes there also with PG. That seems like a done deal to me unless you are a Rocket fan holding out hope against hope.

14 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The NBA needs the same setup as the NFL with a franchise tag, that would solve a lot of this, at some point about 26 teams are going to become neutral to the sport, as they realize there team is guaranteed no shot at winning the NBA title...

18 minutes ago, C-Man said:

possibly depending on what happens with the wagering thing.    If they get the "integrity fee" they are looking for, it will jump again

47 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Couldn’t they just start their own Franchise?  Seattle or Louisville?  

8 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Couldn’t they just start their own Franchise?  Seattle or Louisville?  

Hell I'm sure if they had the choice, they would all pick Seattle over Louisville, it's much more cosmopolitan of a destination...

5 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Would a team of KD , LBJ, PG13 + vet mins be the favorite to win it all?  I would say yes

That'd be tough..... I mean 9-10 minimum vets, even ring chasers, it would be hard to build any depth.  And it's also not very realistic.... why only vet minimums?  Why wouldn't the team at least use their exceptions?

12 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Would a team of KD , LBJ, PG13 + vet mins be the favorite to win it all?  I would say yes

Much like when he was in MIA it may take them an extra yr to get the right vet min/MLE guys but yes