2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Paul George is expected to be playing a charity basketball game in LA tonight.

Not so fast my friends:

Paul George arrived in Oklahoma City late on Saturday afternoon, as Russell Westbrook is hosting a private party in town late Saturday night as free agency opens, sources told ESPN.

Westbrook has organized the party, dubbed a "summer hype house party," that's being held at a property near Lake Arcadia, inviting around 500 guests with the promise of a "surprise performance by a multi-platinum artist."

Sources tell ESPN that artist is Nas. The invitation says, "The FOMO will be real." Invited guests were required to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23956635/with-paul-george-town-russell-westbrook-hosting-summer-hype-house-party

23 minutes ago, ocugolf said:

Presti screwed up some, but if George does sign, that is some huge vindication. 

Presti has been great at managing big contracts, not getting stuck in a bad one, and getting the best value possible and if not, kicking the can down the road.  He basically traded Serge Ibaka for Paul George in a round about way.

What Presti sucks at is building a supporting cast.  Every year it's a bunch of shooting guards who can't shoot.  Big men can't score, either.  Offense is always a struggle when you get past the core stars.

Money talks. I’ll be shocked to see LeBron and PG let 40-50 mill go by signing with LA. Hope magic follows through with quiting if he doesn’t deliver haha. 

Or maybe this is all part of pg documentary and ends up “at home”. If that happens I hope they have dog shit to play with and end up 8th seed in the West.

2 hours ago, ocugolf said:

Presti screwed up some, but if George does sign, that is some huge vindication. 

I gave him a lot of shit for what I thought was a desperate move last year.  If he gets it done with George for a long term deal (4 years), then it certainly will be vindication and I will have have been very wrong.  Now.... for all of that, he still may have lost the trade and he's still the GM that couldn't win a title with 3 eventual MVPs, but, God damn, it was a fucking risky ass game of chicken and he'll have won with brass balls.  If.... if.  Frankly, good luck to him. 

29 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i think george is staying in okc, but it will be fascinating to see what kind of deal he signs.  particularly the number of years.

Sounds like it will be a 1+1 as well. That gets him to his 10th year in the league, which carries some weight. The CBA/Cap is damn ass confusing.

56 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I gave him a lot of shit for what I thought was a desperate move last year.  If he gets it done with George for a long term deal (4 years), then it certainly will be vindication and I will have have been very wrong.  Now.... for all of that, he still may have lost the trade and he's still the GM that couldn't win a title with 3 eventual MVPs, but, God damn, it was a fucking risky ass game of chicken and he'll have won with brass balls.  If.... if.  Frankly, good luck to him. 

He was in a desperate place, though.  They lost Durant and got nothing in return.  They had Ibaka and some other assets, traded for Dipo and some assets, and then traded those for George thinking they could keep him.  The risky part was George's contract.

Seriously, though, Presit has done a great job at managing big contracts.  He just sucks at building the support roster.

this paul george thing should make team that are not the lakers more willing to try and trade for kawhi.  this time a year ago, george to the lakers this summer was a done deal according to just about everyone.  but the thunder were able to convince him over the course of the year (and not even a very good year on the court) that okc was the place for him.  if i'm philly, i'm doing everything i can in order to get kawhi.  

Part of the problem for the Lakers is the state income tax and there's nothing they can do about it.  For Paul George, assuming the life of the deal is $200M, the state income tax alone is $26M.  That's a lot.  Dwight Howard was at least upfront about it when he went to Houston but it's a factor.  I'm still surprised Durant left as much money on the table as he did and the CA state income tax is part of that.  

As a big time free agent going to a team in CA, Durant might be the exception rather than the rule.

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

all of the celebrating in okc will be funny to look back at a year from now after another okc early round exit. 

Yeah, they're still basically the same team.  Melo is still there (maybe) and PG and Russ are having to do all the scoring with a little help from Adams.

14 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

all of the celebrating in okc will be funny to look back at a year from now after another okc early round exit. 

Meh. I live in the OKC suburbs and just the reality of having an NBA team is almost unbelieveable. That they make they playoffs just about every year is icing on the cake. We ain't the Kings, yet. I'm just enjoying the here and now.

Just now, Message Board User said:

Ouch.

With Paul George and Jerami Grant on board, Oklahoma City now has a payroll of $156M with 11 players under contract. Because of the repeater tax penalty, the Thunder currently have a tax bill of $130M. The tax bill would be the largest in NBA history.

so where does the Tax Penalty money go? MS13?

• Like 1

Just now, Message Board User said:

Ouch.

With Paul George and Jerami Grant on board, Oklahoma City now has a payroll of $156M with 11 players under contract. Because of the repeater tax penalty, the Thunder currently have a tax bill of $130M. The tax bill would be the largest in NBA history.

That’s what I don’t get about the Grant re-signing. I know they have to have bodies, but that $9M/yr suddenly seems a whole lot more. 

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Ouch.

according to the graphic they are showing on espn2, the thunder could save almost $100 million if they were to stretch carmelo anthony.  

6 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Ouch.

lmao.