2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

16 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I don’t understand how people are trying to act as if PG signing for OKC isn’t a big thing. Are they supposed to just trade everything and bottom out since they don’t have a good shot at a title? Plus, those fans have been hearing about how trading for him was worthless since he’d be a Laker in a year. Let them celebrate. 

Twitter clip of the Thunder team getting an announcement from George:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MatchupBR/status/1013292763725598721

Thought Javale played some great minutes last year and specifically in the Finals.....

FVV back above the border..... Big keep.

Speaking of big keeps..... this is underrated and great for the C's.  And they still have the MLE.

Smaller deals that get overlooked which were interesting.

Ariza May or may not be a huge loss. The Rockets best “healthy” line up last season was when Ariza was out with an injury and Luc and PJ started. Luv never got back to form after the shoulder separation. 

Green/Luc = Ariza. But cheaper

Edited by ChickenSandwich

10 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i think it's pretty clear that there is another move in KD's future.  

The Warriors' spin on the short deal is that, in another year, he'll have full Bird rights, so he'll be able to sign for the full 5-year supermax if he so desires. So it's beneficial for both sides.

We'll see. I forgot that Golden State opens up the new arena in 2019, so KD most likely stays at least 2 more years. But I just can't see him finishing out his prime as a Warrior, even as much as he loves the locker room and culture.

6 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Ariza May or may not be a huge loss. The Rockets best “healthy” line up last season was when Ariza was out with an injury and Luc and PJ started. Luv never got back to form after the shoulder separation. 

Green/Luc = Ariza. But cheaper

Really curious what the story was with Ariza. It can't just be money since Houston had his Bird rights. They weren't going to pay him $15M, but I'm sure they would have given him more years. Key piece of the team, locker room leader, good friends with CP and Harden, probably wants redemption for his Game 7 performance...and he bolts for Phoenix?? Odd.

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Fultz is only off limits until the Philly front office wants to act like they’re making a big concession to SA by including him in the deal.  That has to be a negotiating tactic to make sure they don’t demand Simmons in the deal.  Nobody is going to blow up a chance to add Kawhi Leonard and Lebron f’n James to their team over Fultz.

Agreed - I for one can't believe there are Spur fans who think they're getting Simmons (even if BS has a pretty major and possibly fatal flaw in his game that I'm not sure will ever be fixed).

6 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Agreed - I for one can't believe there are Spur fans who think they're getting Simmons (even if BS has a pretty major and possibly fatal flaw in his game that I'm not sure will ever be fixed).

No one believes we're getting Simmons...... just dreaming.  Sort of like Rockets fans hoping they were getting Lebron..... it's fun to day dream.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

A deal would already be done if that's all it took. 

I know - my comment was sort of tongue-in-cheek.  But it's important to remember that while Kawhi is a top 5 player in the NBA when healthy, we don't really know if he truly is healthy enough to be the player he was 2 seasons ago and then you have to deal with the whims of Uncle Dennis.

In other words, taking on Kawhi means taking on considerable risk, and this risk should be priced into any trade equation.

Edited by Message Board User
  • Like 2

Just now, Message Board User said:

I know - my comment was sort of tongue-in-cheek.  But it's important to remember that while Kawhi is a top 5 player in the NBA when healthy, we don't really know if he truly is healthy enough to be the player he was 2 seasons ago and then you have to deal with the whims of Uncle Dennis.

In other words, taking on Kawhi means taking on considerable risk.

It's not just Kawhi, it gets them Lebron

5 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

It's not just Kawhi, it gets them Lebron

Maybe..... Still think Lebron is on the Lakers train.  If they strike out with everyone, including Boogie, maybe Lebron reconsiders but I think his family wants to be in LA.

But, if Lebron tells Philly, you get Kawhi, then I'll sign with you guys and my family can stay in Cleveland..... Danny boy, you on da clock.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

5 hours ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I don’t understand how people are trying to act as if PG signing for OKC isn’t a big thing. Are they supposed to just trade everything and bottom out since they don’t have a good shot at a title? Plus, those fans have been hearing about how trading for him was worthless since he’d be a Laker in a year. Let them celebrate. 

fuck those fans. they actively dislike the best player in franchise history who has pumped millions of dollars back into their shitty community. seriously, fuck them. 

• Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I'm surprised Philly appears to be valuing Fultz this much - if it were me, I'd let the Spurs or any other team deal with his broken shot.

they've been putting in the time and work dealing with it already, and he's too talented to jump ship this early on a guy who they tried so hard to get in the first place.

20 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

fuck those fans. they actively dislike the best player in franchise history who has pumped millions of dollars back into their shitty community. seriously, fuck them. 

You mean the one that bailed on them to take the easy road to championships? Yep, couldn’t fathom why they would be upset with him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Fultz is only off limits until the Philly front office wants to act like they’re making a big concession to SA by including him in the deal.  That has to be a negotiating tactic.  Nobody is going to blow up a chance to add Kawhi Leonard and Lebron f’n James to their team over Fultz.

Agreed... It make it look to both fan bases, that something was given up to gain something in return...

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

Furk.  

I see a Less Grossman (Tropic Thunder reference) type agent talking to PG and PG says "You want me to bail on the Lakers for some money?"  

"No, a LOT of money.  G5 playa!"

I'm still surprised that he didn't even give Magic and the Lakers a meeting and he had verbally agreed with OKC months ago.  The media thought this would be some painful decision but he'd end up in LA.  Shows you what everyone knows and doesn't know.

Don't discount OKC from being contenders, either.  They're the #2 or #3 team in the West a Steph Curry or Kevin Durant playoff injury away from being in the #1 spot.  Chris Paul will get hurt again and that's why that deal is horrible.  Still don't know how the Bron/Laker thing shakes out but a core of Russ, PG, and Adams is a really good one especially if they can pull off a miracle and make Roberson at least serviceable on offense.

4 minutes ago, HookEm said:

OKC was playing really well when Roberson went down.  He makes a big difference on that team.

Yeah, especially on defense where he makes them really good.  He just needs to be at the point where he can hit 1/3 of his open jump shots, dribble, and 60% of his free throws.  So, basically, he needs at least high school level basketball skills.  He's one of the more elite athletes and defenders in the NBA, though.  He might be the key to the entire Thunder season.

15 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Furk.  

I see a Less Grossman (Tropic Thunder reference) type agent talking to PG and PG says "You want me to bail on the Lakers for some money?"  

"No, a LOT of money.  G5 playa!"

I'm still surprised that he didn't even give Magic and the Lakers a meeting and he had verbally agreed with OKC months ago.  The media thought this would be some painful decision but he'd end up in LA.  Shows you what everyone knows and doesn't know.

Don't discount OKC from being contenders, either.  They're the #2 or #3 team in the West a Steph Curry or Kevin Durant playoff injury away from being in the #1 spot.  Chris Paul will get hurt again and that's why that deal is horrible.  Still don't know how the Bron/Laker thing shakes out but a core of Russ, PG, and Adams is a really good one especially if they can pull off a miracle and make Roberson at least serviceable on offense.

they lost in 6 games to utah last year.  maybe they should set their sites on passing the jazz before thinking about the warriors or rockets. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I'm surprised Philly appears to be valuing Fultz this much - if it were me, I'd let the Spurs or any other team deal with his broken shot.

yeah I wouldnt let him keep me from getting kawhi

6 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

they lost in 6 games to utah last year.  maybe they should set their sites on passing the jazz before thinking about the warriors or rockets. 

If they're healthy, Roberson learns just basic offensive skills, and they find a 2 or 3 bench guys who can simply just shoot, they'd be 50/50 against the Rockets in the playoffs.  Roberson traditionally gives Harden fits and they key to the whole thing is keeping him on the court.

26 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

If OKC can find a way to dump Melo, they should be a 3 or 4 seed next year. Problem is, nobody wants that Melo contract. Maybe if the Lakers whiff on everyone, they will take Melo and some picks into space. Then Magic gets a star and saves his job!

I’m hoping they cut and stretch provision his ass.  I think it’s been said in this thread but it saves OKC 91 mil. 

OKC seems to finally have a future set for the next 3 years. Russ/PG/Adams as your core.  Ferg/Abrines/ Diallo (my fav of the draft picks) as your come ups and your piece guys that fill a role ( Dre, Grant, PPat, Felton).  I’m hoping there’s a MLE guy we can go snag to fill a shooting role if they do stretch Melo

• Like 1

Just now, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I’m hoping they cut and stretch provision his ass.  I think it’s been said in this thread but it saves OKC 91 mil. 

OKC seems to finally have a future set for the next 3 years. Russ/PG/Adams as your core.  Ferg/Abrines/ Diallo (my fav of the draft picks) as your come ups and your piece guys that fill a role ( Dre, Grant, PPat, Felton).  I’m hoping there’s a MLE guy we can go snag to fill a shooting role if they do stretch Melo

Hervey will be an important piece for them going. I imagine they have plans of molding him into a more offensively talented Roberson.