2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Almost as awesome as NBA execs do. The Finals are probably going to be some combination of Golden State, LA, Boston, Philadelphia, and Houston.

Eh, the Finals are going to happen in the WCF again. I don't see the Celtics or the 76ers being quite good enough to beat the Warriors. Their timetables should be good after this GSW team breaks up, though.

I'm sure many on this site will rejoice knowing that approximately 99% of all 10:30 ET nationally televised games will now feature the Warriors or the Lakers. It was already 75% with Sacramento being terrible and Portland and LAC being meh, but this puts it over the top.

11 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Eh, the Finals are going to happen in the WCF again. I don't see the Celtics or the 76ers being quite good enough to beat the Warriors. Their timetables should be good after this GSW team breaks up, though.

Man, I think people are seriously underselling Boston. Golden State is still better, but the Celtics are hungry, and that counts for something against a veteran team who has played a LOT of basketball over 4 seasons. If they land Kawhi too, holy shit... how do you consistently score 100 against that team?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Man, I think people are seriously underselling Boston. Golden State is still better, but the Celtics are hungry, and that counts for something against a veteran team who has played a LOT of basketball over 4 seasons. If they land Kawhi too, holy shit... how do you consistently score 100 against that team?

Won't matter if the Celtics can't get to 90...

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

They lost to a team that got swept in the finals. If they get Kawhi, it'd be a better matchup, particularly with how good Stevens is as a coach, but the East is still way too young. 

Just now, GabrielsHorn said:

They lost to a team that got swept in the finals. If they get Kawhi, it'd be a better matchup, particularly with how good Stevens is as a coach, but the East is still way too young. 

C'mon man. They would have swept the Cavs too with Kyrie and Hayward.

Just now, GabrielsHorn said:

They also didn’t have kyrie or Gordon hayward? Do people forget this when they say they lost to a team that got swept? Boston would have beaten Cleveland in 5 with kyrie and Hayward easily.

22 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

This is the most underrated thing in all the FA discussions regarding all of the California teams.  Durant not only took less money but he got hammered in state taxes.  Depending on the length and size of the Paul George contract, he could save $25M-$30M alone just in state income taxes.

1 minute ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Their presumed two best players were injured for the entirety of the playoffs though...... I tend to agree, they need to earn their stripes but in 2 years they could knock down the door.... Problem is Kyrie with be a UFA next summer and has injury issues and Horford would be turning 33 in next year's Finals.

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

They also didn’t have kyrie or Gordon hayward? Do people forget this when they say they lost to a team that got swept? Boston would have beaten Cleveland in 5 with kyrie and Hayward easily.

The Cavs weren't particularly a good team and Kevin Love was injured for that. Also, who knows how well they'll be when Kryie and Hayward come back and what pieces would have to be moved out to get someone like Kawhi.

The Celtics will be the best team in the East, but the East is still really weak and young.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Lakers remaining money..... They can make some small moves but to make any more major ones, they'd have to trade or renounce Randle and move Deng's contract or one of their young guys.

Atlanta's like, "we'll take Deng off your hands, just throw in Kuzma...."

5 minutes ago, Robin Masters said:

Celtics need to do whatever to get Kawhi, just to keep Philly from landing him. 

Spurs reportedly asking for 3 firsts and two players, probably Covington and Saric.  Not sure Philly would do that, considering what it would do to their depth.  They already lost two to free agency so far. 

Here's a rumor for the day: https://raptorsrapture.com/2018/06/25/carmelo-anthony-raptors-trade-everyone-wins/

Carmelo Anthony to Raptors – a trade where everyone wins

The Raptors are not in a happy place with the NBA salary cap. Here’s a deal which keeps our team in contention, and clears the decks for next off-season.

In many ways this is the silly season for basketball pundits. We can indulge in flights of fancy, which I’m doing right now, though with a serious purpose.

Loyal readers know I’ve been deeply concerned about the financial handcuffs the Toronto Raptors find themselves in. The NBA Draft just concluded with no activity by our team, and free agency is just around the corner. Many teams are under the salary cap, and thus able to put together juicy offers for the best talent. Sadly, the Raptors currently have only the Mid-Level Exception available to them. That’s like bringing a peashooter to a knife fight.

13 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Haha how the fuck does LA add LeBron and now they are tied with Boston in second place to win the nba title? Does retard millennials run Vegas off Twitter hype? LA was a 10 seed and they add LeBron and that leap frogs them to second in the nba? Lol.

Vegas probably talks to the agents (they have the same cocaine hookups) and are privy to the Laker's plans.

I think Kawhi on the Celts would make them better than GS assuming Irving and Hayward are healthy. No what do they lose to get Kawhi?

Just now, Francisco 2.0 said:

Spurs reportedly asking for 3 firsts and two players, probably Covington and Saric.  Not sure Philly would do that, considering what it would do to their depth.  They already lost two to free agency so far. 

Kawhi's the only player, currently in play, who could help the Sixers catch the Celtics..... otherwise, they're a level below (maybe two) the Celtics and have to hope for injury..... Also, realize they didn't re-sign some of their own vets b/c they wanted to try for Kawhi AND Lebron..... that's not on the board.  They could make some moves to get to the 8-9 rotational pieces you need.  You win in this league with stars unless you have great coaching.  I love Brett Brown, but he's not a great coach.... at least yet.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Kawhi's the only player, currently in play, who could help the Sixers catch the Celtics..... otherwise, they're a level below (maybe two) the Celtics and have to hope for injury..... Also, realize they didn't re-sign some of their own vets b/c they wanted to try for Kawhi AND Lebron..... that's not on the board.  They could make some moves to get to the 8-9 rotational pieces you need.  You win in this league with stars unless you have great coaching.  I love Brett Brown, but he's not a great coach.... at least yet.

But if you're Philly, what is the timeline with your current core? Does going all in on Kawhi now make sense, or do they wait to go all in for "Superstar X" in 3-4 years?

26 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm sure many on this site will rejoice knowing that approximately 99% of all 10:30 ET nationally televised games will now feature the Warriors or the Lakers. It was already 75% with Sacramento being terrible and Portland and LAC being meh, but this puts it over the top.

and we will never ever see Cleveland on national TV

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

But if you're Philly, what is the timeline with your current core? Does going all in on Kawhi now make sense, or do they wait to go all in for "Superstar X" in 3-4 years?

Ugh.... Lebron is gone from the East and you have a star with a long injury history and Simmons on a rookie deal.  You go for it the next 4-5 years IMO.  You can't rely on things never changing in the league.

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

Ugh.... Lebron is gone from the East and you have a star with a long injury history and Simmons on a rookie deal.  You go for it the next 4-5 years IMO.  You can't rely on things never changing in the league.

Yeah, I guess Kawhi is still young enough. 

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

And here's some confirmation that Lebron was heading to LA, with or without help.

It's interesting that even though the Lakers FO has been in disarray for years, Lebron still gave them more of a commitment than he did the Cavs back in 2014.

Lebron really didn't like Gilbert.

I hope this is sincere. Someone really needed to get in Lebron's ear and tell him that a patient team building approach might net better results. 

28 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea and?? Fuck the fakers. I hope every team blocks any trade hat would make them better. No way the spurs would trade kawhi to la now, plus the lakers have dog shit to offer for a all nba first team kawhi. 

Yep, you are definitely butthurt.