2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

You’re a fucking idiot.  He simply said OKC is better with their best defensive player on the court.  Wild fucking statement there. 

he has them "a steph curry or kevin durant injury away from the #1 spot in the west."  i'm simply pointing out that this exact same team lost in 6 games to utah last year.

7 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

You’re a fucking idiot.  He simply said OKC is better with their best defensive player on the court.  Wild fucking statement there. 

He wrote they were the #2 or #3 seed and an injury away from the best team in the West.  That's fucking retarded. 

Edited by Patrick Bateman

So okc resigns a guy that helped them destroy to the 5 seed and lost to the Jizz and now are contenders? L.O. Fucking L..... 

PG resigning was good for the league and quite frankly shocked me so kudos to okc for that, but they barely showed glimpses for anyone to be THAT excited? i'm failing to see how this makes them contenders when they are bringing back the exact same team as last season, and the highest paid team at that.

37 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

If OKC can find a way to dump Melo, they should be a 3 or 4 seed next year. Problem is, nobody wants that Melo contract. Maybe if the Lakers whiff on everyone, they will take Melo and some picks into space. Then Magic gets a star and saves his job!

Think there's a better chance of him being bought out...... I don't think anyone's touching that contract until the deadline at the soonest and there would need to be sweetner.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, especially on defense where he makes them really good.  He just needs to be at the point where he can hit 1/3 of his open jump shots, dribble, and 60% of his free throws.  So, basically, he needs at least high school level basketball skills.  He's one of the more elite athletes and defenders in the NBA, though.  He might be the key to the entire Thunder season.

rachel demita can give him some pointers

48 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

he has them "a steph curry or kevin durant injury away from the #1 spot in the west."  i'm simply pointing out that this exact same team lost in 6 games to utah last year.

46 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He wrote they were the #2 or #3 seed and an injury away from the best team in the West.  That's fucking retarded.

They were the #4 seed last year, being only one game behind the #3 seed (Portland.)  That was with Roberson not playing half of the year.  Assuming they're healthy, they're easily the #3 seed next year.

49 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So okc resigns a guy that helped them destroy to the 5 seed and lost to the Jizz and now are contenders? L.O. Fucking L..... 

PG resigning was good for the league and quite frankly shocked me so kudos to okc for that, but they barely showed glimpses for anyone to be THAT excited? i'm failing to see how this makes them contenders when they are bringing back the exact same team as last season, and the highest paid team at that.

No one is saying they're contenders.  No one is saying anyone but GS (and maybe a healthy Boston) are contenders.  Depends on how the Bron thing plays out with the Lakers but if Steph or Durant get injured in the playoffs, OKC is a definite contender and injuries have played key roles in most of the playoffs of the last few years.  It's a reasonable assumption that they will again this next year.

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I’m hoping they cut and stretch provision his ass.  I think it’s been said in this thread but it saves OKC 91 mil. 

OKC seems to finally have a future set for the next 3 years. Russ/PG/Adams as your core.  Ferg/Abrines/ Diallo (my fav of the draft picks) as your come ups and your piece guys that fill a role ( Dre, Grant, PPat, Felton).  I’m hoping there’s a MLE guy we can go snag to fill a shooting role if they do stretch Melo

I really like the idea, and i'm already wondering what Presti has up his in his trade playbook as in relation to (possibly) shipping Melo to the Clippers, and what move to make before the trade deadline next season...

Just now, kopp0e said:

I really like the idea, and i'm already wondering what Presti has up his in his trade playbook as in relation to (possibly) shipping Melo to the Clippers, and what move to make before the trade deadline next season...

Problem with trading him is the no trade clause and his ridiculous salary.  Realistically the only team I could see taking him on and him saying yes is a LeBron led Laker team with LBJ telling Magic he wants him.  Melo has too much leverage and now that he knows OKC wants him out, isn’t gonna play ball. 

So cut him, stretch him, save your money over time and look at Grant as your guy to fill that starting role (or PPat) 

• Like 1

I think someone on Reddit broke it down and it’s only a $50m saving over the next few years if they stretch him. High but not as high. Still, Melo was an awful player, and if he doesn’t accept a bench role, I don’t know what team would deal with him. 

E: also, lol Derka for begging every one of my posts. 

Edited by GabrielsHorn
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Going back to this, it's peculiar none of the big time RFA's have gotten or signed an offer sheet.  Not Capela, not Gordon, and not Randle.  Apparently, the whispers are Julius Randle, already a bit disillusioned with the Lakers, is now pissed they were looking at other big men before dealing with him and may be a reason you've seen the Lakers kicking the tires on other RFA's like Capela and Gordon.  David Aldridge on NBA TV came out and said Randle didn't really want to go back..... If correct, wow.  Now, I don't really blame the Lakers per say, with most RFA's, you let the market set the price unless a big time star.  I guess Randle feels a little disrespected. 

When will the big time RFA's starting signing?  I'm going to say by tomorrow...

Here's the link to the Randle thing..... They have a weird relationship with agent, Aaron Mintz too.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/7/1/17523810/nba-free-agent-rumors-julius-rande-la-lakers-magic-johnson-paul-george-lebron-james

Forgot the link.

12 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Definitely makes sense for Lebron as I think he knows he can't beat Golden State. Wonder if he pushes for Kawhi or not and whether Space Jam 2 is now made.

If they get Kawhi and Boogie along with Bron, they'd beat GS.  Draymond would get thrown around like a fucking rag doll.

• Like 2

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

If they get Kawhi and Boogie along with Bron, they'd beat GS.  Draymond would get thrown around like a fucking rag doll.

Meh.... it'd be close.  Who matches up with KD?  Kawhi?  Then who'd match up with Steph?  Boogie's not even supposed to be ready for the start of the season.  What are you getting with him and how much will he clog the lane?  They'd be dynamite but probably a year together to understand how to play.

11 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Boogie is coming off a real bad injury, though. Wes Matthews really struggled after signing with the Mavs with a similar injury, and I don't think it'd come together in the first year. Plus, the problem with GSW is that their depth is still pretty good. I don't know what pieces would be left if the Lakers do get both of them. I'm imagine Ingram, Randle, and maybe Kuzma may be gone.

e: Obviously, they still have a ton of cap and will have more after Deng is finally off the books.

Edited by GabrielsHorn

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

It has been speculated but I never really imagined the best player in the NBA, and one of the top 3 of all time was actually going to do it.  Unfuckingbelievable.  

Congrats Dude. Go shower yourself in champagne. Don’t let the haters get you down. 

• Like 2

I'll take it since I live in LA now but still can't beat my KD warriors. Looking at that marks tweet, how can they even trade for kawhi? They have the contracts to equal it out? 

I also wonder if lebron isn't aiming for next year: more free agents and cap. 

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

OK, which is a better team, this year’s Cavs or next year’s Lakers if no other changes take place?  I think a year older Ingram, Ball, Randle, Kuzma, LBJ is better.

I don't think Randle's coming back.... maybe, but recent reports indicate he wants out.  Love's still the best player on either team next year..... after that maybe not.  Definitely prefer to play with the kids more, but neither team is doing much in the West as currently constructed..... certainly not getting out of the 2nd round without major injuries to the opponents.

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Fuck magic Johnson. He didn’t do shit. LA sells itself. Quit overblowing magic Johnson jfc. At some point they would get a big name free agent. 

You know, fuck you.  Don’t you EVER badmouth Ervin.  He is royalty in this town.  As he should be. 

• Like 3