2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

Gotta wonder if the Lakers punt on trying to acquire Kawhi this offseason. I'm sure they'll still keep a decent offer in place in case San Antonio eventually bites, but I don't think they should sell the farm. Ball, LeBron, Kawhi, and scraps don't win the title next year anyway. LeBron, Ball, Randle, Ingram, Kuzma, Kawhi (or KD or Klay) almost certainly would in 2019-2020. That's a super deep, athletic team.

That introduces some PG risk obviously, with Kawhi potentially enjoying his new team, but it might be worth it. Would get to see if he's the Kawhi of old as well.

• Like 1

Just now, aggie08 said:

Gotta wonder if the Lakers punt on trying to acquire Kawhi this offseason. I'm sure they'll still keep a decent offer in place in case San Antonio eventually bites, but I don't think they should sell the farm. Ball, LeBron, Kawhi, and scraps don't win the title next year anyway. LeBron, Ball, Randle, Ingram, Kuzma, Kawhi (or KD or Klay) almost certainly would in 2019-2020. That's a super deep, athletic team.

That introduces some PG risk obviously, with Kawhi potentially enjoying his new team, but it might be worth it. Would get to see if he's the Kawhi of old as well.

You'd also lose something moving Deng's deal..... so a Hart or something.  They can't sign Kawhi next year even with all the expiring deals currently, got get rid of that Deng deal..... If Randle's deal or his replacement is more than one year, it gets really tight and they'd have to move 2 of those pieces or more.

36 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

You'd also lose something moving Deng's deal..... so a Hart or something.  They can't sign Kawhi next year even with all the expiring deals currently, got get rid of that Deng deal..... If Randle's deal or his replacement is more than one year, it gets really tight and they'd have to move 2 of those pieces or more.

You're insistent on this, but I bet the Lakers have 5 different plans to shed salary if Kawhi hits the free agent market. Clearing up cap space will be easy next offseason.

17 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

You're insistent on this, but I bet the Lakers have 5 different plans to shed salary if Kawhi hits the free agent market. Clearing up cap space will be easy next offseason.

And you keep saying it's going to be easy yet have offered no thesis as to how they'll do it..... I've consistently said they'll be able to do it, but they won't just magically be able to stuff it to someone, because they ask nicely.  They'll need to add a future asset to have someone take it on.  What will that be..... go.  And have we seen any teams take on any L-T money thus far in FA?  It's early, but it's been interesting to see the teams expected to facilitate trades like Dallas or Sacramento or Atlanta with cap space haven't taken anything.  Dallas already filled up but maybe Sac-town and Atlanta are waiting on some trades....

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

And you keep saying it's going to be easy yet have offered no thesis as to how they'll do it..... I've consistently said they'll be able to do it, but they won't just magically be able to stuff it to someone, because they ask nicely.  They'll need to add a future asset to have someone take it on.  What will that be..... go.  And have we seen any teams take on any L-T money thus far in FA?  It's early, but it's been interesting to see the teams expected to facilitate trades like Dallas or Sacramento or Atlanta with cap space haven't taken anything.  Dallas already filled up but maybe Sac-town and Atlanta are waiting on some trades....

I did offer an idea. Someone will take Deng for Kuzma in a heartbeat. Or Ingram. Or Ball.  More money next offseason means more teams will have to get creative to add talent once they realize none of the big names want to play for them.

Also, next offseason, Deng is expiring.

Edited by Ricky Butler

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

I did offer an idea. Someone will take Deng for Kuzma in a heartbeat. Or Ingram. Or Ball.  More money next offseason means more teams will have to get creative to add talent once they realize none of the big names want to play for them.

Great!  I said Hart..... so you agree with me that it will take some sweetner.... Then WTF are you arguing about other than you think it will actually take a better asset to move the Deng contract then I just offered....

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Great!  I said Hart..... so you agree with me that it will take some sweetner.... Then WTF are you arguing about other than you think it will actually take a better asset to move the Deng contract then I just offered....

I don't want to argue. Let's be friends. We just disagree on how easy it will be for them to clear up space to sign Kawhi. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I don't want to argue. Let's be friends. We just disagree on how easy it will be for them to clear up space to sign Kawhi. 

We really don't..... have no idea why you would take that position.  They'll need to move some things around if they want to sign him in FA next season..... I think they'll be able to do it pretty easily (could always stretch Deng too) as currently constructed (Hart is a pittance), but if they sign another guy to a L-T deal then it gets harder and they'll probably have to move 2 of their assets (probably Ingram or Ball and/or Randle).... It's 32 millionish.

But I think the Lakers have another move in their arsenal this summer or at the trade deadline....

43 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

That’s odd.  I bet if you took a poll, 90% of people would say Ingram is the better player.

Not surprised at all if it's true. I said this a few pages back. 

"Kuzma is really good. Matter of fact, I'm going to guess that's the hold up with the Spurs and Lakers. That's the player the Spurs want and the player the Lakers don't want to give up."

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

"Kuzma is really good. Matter of fact, I'm going to guess that's the hold up with the Spurs and Lakers. That's the player the Spurs want and the player the Lakers don't want to give up."

He's also really cheap which is nice.....

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'd be very surprised if that is true.

I can see the Lakers drawing a line in the sand at Ingram AND Kuzma (and that's probably what they mean when they say he's off the table), but if the Spurs wanted Kuzma and some picks--and didn't require Ingram--Magic would trip all over himself to sign off on that.

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I can see the Lakers drawing a line in the sand at Ingram AND Kuzma (and that's probably what they mean when they say he's off the table), but if the Spurs wanted Kuzma and some picks--and didn't require Ingram--Magic would trip all over himself to sign off on that.

I just googled it and Kuzma is 2 years older than Ingram. That's wild.

How in the fuck are teh thunder signing free agents right now?  Noel was looking for a huge deal just last summer and bet on himself for a 1 year deal.  Is he signing at the league minimum now???  How did this happen?

Also, someone mentioned that stretching Melo would save $50mm.  The math is actually $91mm in savings.

4 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

How in the fuck are teh thunder signing free agents right now?  Noel was looking for a huge deal just last summer and bet on himself for a 1 year deal.  Is he signing at the league minimum now???  How did this happen?

Also, someone mentioned that stretching Melo would save $50mm.  The math is actually $91mm in savings.

Probably a low cost exception like the room....

11 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

It saves $91 million this year, because the luxury tax penalties are progressive, but it's not taking into account how much the 9.3m will cost the team in 2019 and 2020.  That's why the estimates are down to about $50m in total savings. It definitely saves some money, but they are still paying a shit ton of money to get rid of him. If you have that 9.3m hit on the books the next two years, then they will be over the cap with it, PG, Russ, Adams and Roberson. It's likely still going to cost them a lot of money. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

Just now, conVINCEd said:

It would probably make them a better team as well.

It really isn't a bad move.  They are well over the cap next year but if they stretched him they would pay his salary over this year AND THEN 2 more years.  So $28mm over 3 years.  Doesn't sound so bad as long as the cap hit all takes place this year (I believe they can designate that).  If he contributes to their cap issues in 2020, then stretch would be a terrible option.  In that scenario they'd be on the hook for $103.5mm between Russ, PG, Adams, and grant.  Then you would add 1/3rd of melo's $28mm and they'd be at $113mm with 4 guys on roster.

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

It saves $91 million this year, because of the luxury tax penalties progressive, but it's not taking into account how much the 9.3m will cost the team in 2019 and 2020.  That's why the estimates are down to about $50m in total savings. It definitely saves some money, but they are still paying a shit ton of money to get rid of him. If you have that 9.3m hit on the books the next two years, then they will be over the cap with it, PG, Russ, Adams and Roberson. It's likely still going to cost them a lot of money. 

Just read the provisions... They can have the cap hit all occur this year so yeah they'll be paying but they won't have larger tax implications down the road (at least tied to melo's contract).  They definitely don't want to pay repeater tax 3 years from now when he is long gone, if they can avoid it.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

either way he fucked up big time passing on that 70M last yr

I'd be firing my agent for sure and probably anyone that told me "bet on yourself."  If I was the one championing my own excellence I would probably be a bit more humble.

6 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Just read the provisions... They can have the cap hit all occur this year so yeah they'll be paying but they won't have larger tax implications down the road (at least tied to melo's contract).  They definitely don't want to pay repeater tax 3 years from now when he is long gone, if they can avoid it.

I'd be firing my agent for sure and probably anyone that told me "bet on yourself."  If I was the one championing my own excellence I would probably be a bit more humble.

IIRC, he fired the agent that got the $70 mil offer, he only has himself to blame.

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Rondo and Lonzo together makes no sense. 

This sure seems to signal to me they are moving Lonzo. 

Trade Lonzo for what should be a good lottery pick and there's another piece for a Kawhi deal.

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Rondo and Lonzo together makes no sense. 

This sure seems to signal to me they are moving Lonzo. 

Yep.  Same reason they got Stephenson and KCP.  In anticipation of trading Ball, Ingram and ??? to the Spurs for Kawhi.