2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

21 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

This is about Wes Matthews costing 18mil and not being worth it.

Jordan also is not worth it. Maybe if Dallas already had an established roster and were ready to contend. But they aren't even close. I would be pissed if they had to give up anything of value for Jordan. Who already fucked them last time. And he's now 3 years older.

29 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Jordan also is not worth it. Maybe if Dallas already had an established roster and were ready to contend. But they aren't even close. I would be pissed if they had to give up anything of value for Jordan. Who already fucked them last time. And he's now 3 years older.

Vic, I get that you're a tortured Dallas sports fan, but the idea has little downside. Once DAJ opts-in, the Clips don't want to pay him 24 million for next season. Maybe no other teams wants to pay him 24 million for next season. So the Mavs would attempt to trade for a vet, on a one year deal, and the only loss would be to Mark Cuban's pocketbook. The Mavs aren't tanking. If it doesn't cost anything other than Wes Matthews, then why not get the best veteran center you can? I agree that if it cost more than that, just move on to other options whose ages align better with the young guys, but those will eat up more of your cap space.

Edited by Ricky Butler

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Lebron opting out.... Doesn't really change much.  He can still do a S&T but there are some cap implications that come with it.  The major players are still in it.

I think that would eliminate the Rockets.   IIRC teams that are over the lux tax line are not allowed to participate in S&T's

4 hours ago, d2o said:

I think that would eliminate the Rockets.   IIRC teams that are over the lux tax line are not allowed to participate in S&T's

Teams can be over the cap ($99M) or over the tax level ($119M) and do a S&T, but not over the Apron ($125M).  Shit is goofy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Teams can be over the cap ($99M) or over the tax level ($119M) and do a S&T, but not over the Apron ($125M).  Shit is goofy.

One more detail to that is that the neither team can be over the apron at the conclusion of the trade. So it's not just where they are when the trade is made, they may need to bring in another team to take on more salary to stay under the apron in the same transaction. 

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

This surprises me to some degree. I kind of thought he might hang it up after this one given the back issues. 

With that roster does it really matter who is on the sidelines? He’s getting a massive paycheck even if his back flares up he can miss half the season and still coach and get paid and watch his team stroll to 60 wins and probably multiple titles unless a super team beats them or they have major injuries one season.

55 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Lonzo & Deng for Phoenix's 2019 first.

Phoenix traded away their 2021 first so not sure they'd trade another one away (not that this Spurs fan would mind).  I'd say the Suns may want the Lakers to at least take back Tyson Chandler and/or Jared Dudley.  Lonzo and Deng are over 25 million this season and almost 27 next.

EDIT:  And FWIW, they seem to be high on the Frenchie PG they just drafted but hard to rely on a rookie taken at the bottom of the first.  I think they may be looking for a vet PG who could transition to bench if need be.  George Hill!!!!  I'm sure you'd like that.

Edited by Patrick Bateman