2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

I wonder how much shenanigans goes on between owners and players and owners and owners. Sorry we don't have cap space for you but you'll never pay at any strip club in town.(by reputation Harden could sign for the league minimum and come out ahead) or when you're tooling around the Med on your mega yacht, a small boat will approach when you are south of Marseilles. It will flash it's lights 4 times, and honk twice. That man will have your diamonds. Far fetched yeah. Probably more like your investment firm is struggling to sell out that condo tower they paid too much for. Take a 5mm haircut and 7mm worth will be bought by a friend.

Hey fellow billionaire, take Ryan Andersons stupid contract, you're not going to win this year anyway and we'll take whatever, and you can have unlimited Babins and Salt Grass gift cards for life. 

Houston is the latest front office to advocate to have free agency open before the draft.  IMO, it's the way it should be for a multitude of reasons the article goes over.  The way the NBA does it is ridiculously dumb.  The calendar is backwards on this measure.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23911959/zach-lowe-houston-rockets-proposal-flip-nba-draft-free-agency

Imagine what the Cleveland Cavaliers might have done with the No. 8 pick in last week's draft if they knew -- really knew -- whether LeBron James would return next season. With a commitment from James, maybe they would have been more aggressive dangling that pick for veteran help. If LeBron had already bolted, or informed the Cavs of plans to do so, they could have picked without even considering his wishes. (In this case, they likely would have selected Collin Sexton regardless.)

This is one kind of scenario the Houston Rockets envisioned in April, when they proposed at a league meeting that the NBA should start free agency at least a week -- and likely more -- before the draft. The Rockets are not the first team to contemplate that notion; Mike Zarren, Boston's assistant general manager, used his very first tweet as a plea to flip the order of the draft and free agency. (The concept is popular across Boston's brain trust; Zarren noted in his tweet that Austin Ainge, Boston's director of player personnel, sold him on the idea.) Other leagues, including the National Football League, schedule free agency first.

55 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Houston is the latest front office to advocate to have free agency open before the draft.  IMO, it's the way it should be for a multitude of reasons the article goes over.  The way the NBA does it is ridiculously dumb.  The calendar is backwards on this measure.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23911959/zach-lowe-houston-rockets-proposal-flip-nba-draft-free-agency

they should have a few days before the Finals

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The issues he has with timing can be completely avoided by keeping the same schedule they have now, but simply push the draft back to mid/late July. Those rookies can continue to wait on a team picking them, nobody will care that he draft is 4 weeks later than it is now. Plus, it would be a lot better for rookies, since they are more likely to be drafted for their fit on a team, rather than made to mesh with whatever happens in free agency. I think you would see a lot of teams drafting players for their position and role on the team. 

The other issue they didn't mention is the Player and Team Options are after the draft. Those need to be done before any other player movement. Either you want to stay with your team for millions of dollars, or you don't, just get on with it. Teams need to know who is in or out before making decisions for the future. 

7 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Wizards working overtime...to set themselves up for another first round exit in 2019.

It's the East and if Lebron leaves, everyone else is pretty lousy. except for Boston and Philly (obviously).  Toronto may be okay.  MIlwaukee may be okay.  Indiana may be okay.  So they'll run it back and hope to make the 2nd round, but they paid John Wall the super max extension and they're stuck with him.  They paid Otto Porter and insane amount and now they have to live with it.  I mean they're top 3 guys may make the most cumulatively of any team in the league next year.  Certainly going to be top 3/4.  3rd level stars generally don't lead you very far....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

7 minutes ago, Chapo said:

If healthy and not chowing down hot dogs, no reason why he cant be as good as Capela

Healthy Nerlens Noel is just a mythical creature that we sometimes hear about but have never actually seen in person, like the minotaur, Sober Vin Baker and Smart Dion Waiters.

I refuse to believe it until I see it with my own lying eyes.

Edited by Message Board User
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Paul George's first part of his "decision" series..... smh.  This guy.  "This is where I became the man.  Where I became a superstar".   lol.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=23913255

So we're to believe that the leader in the clubhouse right now is him returning to OKC to run it back another year, only to do this all over again next offseason? Really? All right, then.

28 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Paul George's first part of his "decision" series..... smh.  This guy.  "This is where I became the man.  Where I became a superstar".   lol.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=23913255

this guy is probably the 18-25th best player in the league but my god, ive never seen another guy in his range get super star media coverage 

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

The issues he has with timing can be completely avoided by keeping the same schedule they have now, but simply push the draft back to mid/late July. Those rookies can continue to wait on a team picking them, nobody will care that he draft is 4 weeks later than it is now. Plus, it would be a lot better for rookies, since they are more likely to be drafted for their fit on a team, rather than made to mesh with whatever happens in free agency. I think you would see a lot of teams drafting players for their position and role on the team. 

The other issue they didn't mention is the Player and Team Options are after the draft. Those need to be done before any other player movement. Either you want to stay with your team for millions of dollars, or you don't, just get on with it. Teams need to know who is in or out before making decisions for the future. 

They should do the lottery, draft and free agency all on the same day. Complete chaos. 

40 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So we're to believe that the leader in the clubhouse right now is him returning to OKC to run it back another year, only to do this all over again next offseason? Really? All right, then.

I nave a feeling that ESPN wouldnt do this if he is not going to LA

11 hours ago, Chapo said:

I nave a feeling that ESPN wouldnt do this if he is not going to LA

Playoff P does strike me as the type that gets off to being wined and dined and fawned over, so maybe he will try to do this every year.

Going to be just great when players with nowhere near LeBron's status start pulling this one-year contract crap.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Playoff P does strike me as the type that gets off to being wined and dined and fawned over, so maybe he will try to do this every year.

Going to be just great when players with nowhere near LeBron's status start pulling this one-year contract crap.

Yea its kinda trending that way for the superstars...then a Lillard, George, Butler etc tear up a knee and have no fall back plan if theyre out multiple years. 

Man, I'm not even saying this to be a dick (I love Dirk and respect the hell out of Carlisle), but does a line-up of Doncic, Smith, Barnes, Randle/Capela/or Gordon, DAJ with Dirk coming off the bench even make the playoffs?  I'd probably put them ahead of a dysfunctional TWolves team, a possibly rebuilding Spurs, and a PG-less Thunder team, but the Nuggets, Lakers, and even Memphis might be coming on strong.  That's a lot of money to invest in bigs for a possibly limited return, but I guess that's life in the Western Conference.