2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

Everyone else you listed. Dallas needs a big that can protect the rim, which Randle doesn't do. Additionally, scuttlebutt is that Randle isn't a good fit within the system or culturally. (insert pants DJ joke here). Barnes will probably play more small ball 4 next year also, as Dirk's minutes decrease. 

inb4 Randle is opening night starting 5. 

Edited by CBT

26 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Man, I'm not even saying this to be a dick (I love Dirk and respect the hell out of Carlisle), but does a line-up of Doncic, Smith, Barnes, Randle/Capela/or Gordon, DAJ with Dirk coming off the bench even make the playoffs?  I'd probably put them ahead of a dysfunctional TWolves team, a possibly rebuilding Spurs, and a PG-less Thunder team, but the Nuggets, Lakers, and even Memphis might be coming on strong.  That's a lot of money to invest in bigs for a possibly limited return, but I guess that's life in the Western Conference.

I still prefer this to tanking as long as the veteran contracts are short-term. I mean if by the grace of God they got Capela or Gordon, that's a core to roll with. Outside of Golden State, Houston, and Lakers, the pecking order isn't set long term.

Man, I'm not even saying this to be a dick (I love Dirk and respect the hell out of Carlisle), but does a line-up of Doncic, Smith, Barnes, Randle/Capela/or Gordon, DAJ with Dirk coming off the bench even make the playoffs?  I'd probably put them ahead of a dysfunctional TWolves team, a possibly rebuilding Spurs, and a PG-less Thunder team, but the Nuggets, Lakers, and even Memphis might be coming on strong.  That's a lot of money to invest in bigs for a possibly limited return, but I guess that's life in the Western Conference.
Lol wolves won 47 games with their best player hurt for 25% of the yr and losing to all eastern lottery teams on the road.

18 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I still prefer this to tanking as long as the veteran contracts are short-term. I mean if by the grace of God they got Capela or Gordon, that's a core to roll with. Outside of Golden State, Houston, and Lakers, the pecking order isn't set long term.

Good point. Even if the Lakers make a big move, it's not like anyone trusts New Orleans, Portland, etc. to continue improving. Heck, last season, fighting for the 8 seed wasn't too far removed from fighting for the 3 seed. I'd expect that bunching to continue with AD being the only truly transcendent player in the West after Golden State and Houston (and maybe LA) if Kawhi bails.  Hard to create separation in that next tier, easier to catch up to it.

Edited by aggie08

You gotta tank. Unless you're LA and an immediate attraction destionation(I know it sucks to me)...rebuilding with bad contracts bad enough to keep you from getting the high flying talent at the top of the draft and good enough to get you into that 6-8 seed is the worst position to be in all of sport

Clint capela isnt going to be the same with facilitators harden and cp3 helping him out

14 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Lol wolves won 47 games with their best player hurt for 25% of the yr and losing to all eastern lottery teams on the road.

And your opinion of the Minnesota offseason thus far is that everything is good, and everyone likes each other?

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You gotta tank. Unless you're LA and an immediate attraction destionation(I know it sucks to me)...rebuilding with bad contracts bad enough to keep you from getting the high flying talent at the top of the draft and good enough to get you into that 6-8 seed is the worst position to be in all of sport

Clint capela isnt going to be the same with facilitators harden and cp3 helping him out

They did tank and got DSJ and Doncic. Now they are hoping to develop them and add in the future via free agency. That works as well. Also, Capela would thrive in the Mavs system with DSJ and Doncic creating the offense.

After the draft day trade, they really can't tank unless they go all out and try to be the worst team in the league. Otherwise, it's a big gamble since the Hawks get the Mavs first round pick next year if it's outside the top 5. You are at the mercy of the ping pong balls.

They either need to somehow sneak into the playoffs or bomb the season and get another top 5 pick. Anything in between will suck.

They are still a long ways away from being anything relevant.

7 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

They did tank and got DSJ and Doncic. Now they are hoping to develop them and add in the future via free agency. That works as well. Also, Capela would thrive in the Mavs system with DSJ and Doncic creating the offense.

Doncic is unknown...harden is the best penetrating guard in the league while cp3 is one of the best pgs in the league. That's a lofty expectation of a 2nd yr pg and an unknown euro

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

After the draft day trade, they really can't tank unless they go all out and try to be the worst team in the league. Otherwise, it's a big gamble since the Hawks get the Mavs first round pick next year if it's outside the top 5. You are at the mercy of the ping pong balls.

They either need to somehow sneak into the playoffs or bomb the season and get another top 5 pick. Anything in between will suck.

They are still a long ways away from being anything relevant.

I disagree. If they win 37 games, miss the playoffs, but Luka and DSJ were leading the way, that's exciting. The mediocrity treadmill isn't a given if you're playing young players. You're only stuck if you're locked into a certain roster because of contracts.

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Doncic is unknown...harden is the best penetrating guard in the league while cp3 is one of the best pgs in the league. That's a lofty expectation of a 2nd yr pg and an unknown euro

I hadn't heard of this James Harton or C3P0 before. I'm comparing style of play, not results or accomplishments. Rick Carlisle + DSJ + Doncic + Capela is an excellent schematic fit. That's what I'm saying.

I disagree. If they win 37 games, miss the playoffs, but Luka and DSJ were leading the way, that's exciting. The mediocrity treadmill isn't a given if you're playing young players. You're only stuck if you're locked into a certain roster because of contracts.
I'll agree with that. If they are showing a lot of promise then it can give Mavs fans hope. I'm excited about Luka but am tempering my expectations. We have seen so many Euro players hyped up and don't do anything. But everything I've heard and seen is positive on him.

I don't think we need Jordan at all, though. Cousins makes nervous. A big man with an Achilles injury is pretty serious. He'll most likely never be the same. If you made me choose between them 2 I'd go with Cousins.

Randle is good but really doesn't fill a need. But he'd be another good young player to have going forward. They don't need any aging vets on bad contracts.

1 hour ago, CBT said:

Everyone else you listed. Dallas needs a big that can protect the rim, which Randle doesn't do. Additionally, scuttlebutt is that Randle isn't a good fit within the system or culturally. (insert pants DJ joke here). Barnes will probably play more small ball 4 next year also, as Dirk's minutes decrease. 

inb4 Randle is opening night starting 5. 

My thought was DJA and Randle.  There would be some salary dumping to do, but was wondering if Cuban wants to make several moves this offseason and not just one..... DJA is good but will he want to hang around for the growing pains of Doncic and Smith.  

Rumors are Cousins won't be ready for the opening night too.... Capela is probably matched so maybe DJA is all they can do.

2 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

I hadn't heard of this James Harton or C3P0 before. I'm comparing style of play, not results or accomplishments. Rick Carlisle + DSJ + Doncic + Capela is an excellent schematic fit. That's what I'm saying.

What he's saying is capela isn't effective cause of style of play.    He is effective cause of the threat of the guys getting him the ball.     Think Tyson chandler playing with Paul in NO and the Kidd in DAL vs Tyson playing with any other PG.

48 minutes ago, d2o said:

What he's saying is capela isn't effective cause of style of play.    He is effective cause of the threat of the guys getting him the ball.     Think Tyson chandler playing with Paul in NO and the Kidd in DAL vs Tyson playing with any other PG.

What I'm telling you is that Capela is a perfect match for what Carlisle wants to do with their young offensive creators. DSJ can get into the paint at will and Doncic is going to be great in the PNR. They will be the guys getting Capela the ball. 

Also, none of this matter because the Rockets aren't going to let him slip away.

Edited by Ricky Butler

19 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Well, I guess the Grizzlies want to keep running the same boring scheme of poor offense and tough defense. Can't get much more in the extreme of those categories than Avery Bradley.... lol

and people were surprised that rookies didnt wanna go there

22 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Well, I guess the Grizzlies want to keep running the same boring scheme of poor offense and tough defense. Can't get much more in the extreme of those categories than Avery Bradley.... lol

Teams tend to get caught up in roles and comparative characteristics.  Basically, they're all looking for the "next so and so".  Memphis is probably looking for the next Tony Allen..... AB's market may be pretty depressed though and could represent a value.  Idk.  Depends on how you see 16-17'.  Breakout or fluke season.  He can defend when healthy.

As a Mavs fan I find it stupid. They seem intent on trying to replay the post 2011 years. Why not go for the slow roast and build this thing up through the next couple of drafts?
Because Cuban is not that smart. He lived off Dirk being one of the best scorers ever. That masked most his faults. Dirk was that good. Like Vince Young masked Mack Browns short comings. But just because he finally won a title does not change the fact Cuban is business smart but basketball dumb.

There is no reason to bring Deandre here.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

As a Mavs fan I find it stupid. They seem intent on trying to replay the post 2011 years. Why not go for the slow roast and build this thing up through the next couple of drafts?

They’re going to have to be a special kind of suck to not have that draft pick convey in the next few years. Cuban also runs the team like a business and doesn’t realize building a quality team takes some time. He’s always tried to swing for the fences in trades since he bought the team.

Report: Paul George Told Thunder He'll Opt out of Contract to Become Free Agent

TIMOTHY RAPPJUNE 28, 2018

Oklahoma City Thunder forward Paul George (13) during Game 5 of an NBA basketball first-round playoff series between the Utah Jazz and the Oklahoma City Thunder n Oklahoma City, Wednesday, April 25, 2018. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
Sue Ogrocki/Associated Press

Oklahoma City Thunder superstar Paul George reportedly informed the team he will opt out of his $20.7 million player option for the 2018-19 season Thursday, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Wojnarowski added that George is still "seriously interested" in returning to OKC in addition to giving "serious consideration" to signing with the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Philadelphia 76ers and Houston Rockets are also expected to pursue George, per Wojnarowski.

George's decision is hardly surprising. For one, he'll likely now sign a max contract. For another, there have been whispers for the past year that George wanted to play for his hometown Lakers and didn't want to return to the Thunder.

Latest on PG & OKC:

45 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Its almost as if this whole “I fell in love with OKC and really like playing with RW and for billy Donovan” was a complete charade.

Meh, him opting out doesn't mean he is leaving.    Just makes me think he is going to take a full 5 yr deal while he is eligible.

12 minutes ago, d2o said:

Meh, him opting out doesn't mean he is leaving.    Just makes me think he is going to take a full 5 yr deal while he is eligible.

Unlikely since he's not eligible for the super max. He'll probably sign a 1+1, especially if he's staying in OKC. In two years, he'll be eligible for the 10 year vet super max from anyone. 

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Unlikely since he's not eligible for the super max. He'll probably sign a 1+1, especially if he's staying in OKC. In two years, he'll be eligible for the 10 year vet super max from anyone. 

He was 3rd team all NBA this yr how is he not eligible?

15 minutes ago, d2o said:

He was 3rd team all NBA this yr how is he not eligible?

Only your first team can offer you the supermax (unless you were traded on your rookie deal). He can only sign for 5 years - $176M with OKC.

Edited by aggie08

1 #Mavs work w #Clippers to do 'opt-in-and-trade' for #DeAndreJordan 2 trade before July 1, w Matthews to LAC. (Which gets $7M TE, a pairing better than letting DAJ walk July 1.) 3 DAJ gets his $24M ... 4 AND Dallas can be left w $20M of shopping room to bid on, say Jabari

Pass on Jabari

23 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Only your first team can offer you the supermax. He can only sign for 5 years - $176M with OKC.

Alright, I knew Harden got it on his 2nd team.    Anyway then I'd bet on him doing the 1+1 with OKC and wait to see what happens in LA next season

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Alright, I knew Harden got it on his 2nd team.    Anyway then I'd bet on him doing the 1+1 with OKC and wait to see what happens in LA next season

Yeah, I edited it after you quoted to include the traded on a rookie deal exception, put in specifically so Morey could pay his guy.

OKC is fortunate that PG isn't eligible; you know they'd pay it. I mean, it would certainly help them keep him, but they'd be stuck paying $300M+ per year for an incredibly mediocre team.

Edited by aggie08

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, I edited it after you quoted to include the traded on a rookie deal exception, put in specifically so Morey could pay his guy.

OKC is fortunate that PG isn't eligible; you know they'd pay it. I mean, it would certainly help them keep him, but they'd be stuck paying $300M+ per year for an incredibly mediocre team.

OKC is fucked no matter what happens.  The west isn't going to be easier this year and looking at the thunder's roster, they aren't getting better regardless of what PG does.  They can't afford to keep grant (would cost them $53mm in luxury tax alone) and they don't have a back up PG at this point.  They are going to be looking for minimum salary guys just to have a 2 deep or they are going to end up signing Felton again.  He made less than grant last year so I can only assume that he would also cost them tens of millions in tax as well (someone clarify that for me if you would).  The thunder are going to pay something like $150mm in taxes next year with PG and they won't finish higher than 5th once melo finishes his destruction of their locker room.  I could actually see them falling to the 7th spot if they don't learn to play together efficiently (which there is no reason to believe they will).  Jazz will be better, Wolves will be better, Rockets and warriors will hold serve.  Who knows what the Lakers could become if they get a guy like Kawhi or lebron or both.  

There are some tough ass times ahead.

44 minutes ago, C-Man said:

SIAP but Screamin’ Stephen A is saying he’s heard reports LeBron has reached out to KD about joining forces in LA.

I would absolutely love to see that. It would really make next season interesting, assuming they don't get any other stars on that team. 

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

He had a horrific injury which was career threatening..... I think PG wants his money.  Maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm his agent, he needs to get paid now....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

They’re going to have to be a special kind of suck to not have that draft pick convey in the next few years. Cuban also runs the team like a business and doesn’t realize building a quality team takes some time. He’s always tried to swing for the fences in trades since he bought the team.

That may be the case,  but as long as they're giving Doncic and DSJ ample playing time I'm good with it.  The problem with trades/free agent pickups like this is Carlisle will have them in playoff contention and end up running Yogi, JJ, and whatever new facsimile of Devin Harris they grab for 30+ minutes a game in lieu of Doncic & DSJ. That's the type of shit I won't be able to stomach this season.