2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

Is there any way PG and Westbrook could both go to the Lakers if Lebron decides to sign with LA? I always remember hearing that was a possible scenario for when Lebron becomes a free agent this year. But I guess Westbrook signing that extension would hinder that? 

Sure, you can always make it work if they take discounts. Westbrook would need to force OKC's hand to make himself available. PG and Lebron could sign as free agents on max deals first, then use whatever to trade for Westbrook, Deng+Ball+Ingram would probably make salary work. May not be enough for Presti to entertain the idea, but it's a start. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Sure, you can always make it work if they take discounts. Westbrook would need to force OKC's hand to make himself available. PG and Lebron could sign as free agents on max deals first, then use whatever to trade for Westbrook, Deng+Ball+Ingram would probably make salary work. May not be enough for Presti to entertain the idea, but it's a start. 

Then again, I am not sure that trio could beat GSW's current roster. Houston might be Lebron's best situation if he decides to go West. If KD is going to join an already stable team, Lebron might think that is his best option. If he joined the Lakers and got PG/Westbrook to go, that would be what he has been doing in each time he went somewhere else. Formed a team who hasn't played together.

With that scenario, you would at least add another team to the mix. Otherwise, it would be the same 2 man race in Houston and GSW.

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Is there any way PG and Westbrook could both go to the Lakers if Lebron decides to sign with LA? I always remember hearing that was a possible scenario for when Lebron becomes a free agent this year. But I guess Westbrook signing that extension would hinder that? 

Hypothetically?  Yes.  Realistically?  No fucking way.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Chapo said:

If I'm PG and I want the money, I would just ask OKC to do sign and trade. After what happenes with KD, OKC should be glad to get a 1st instead of nothing.

If they do a S&T he cannot get the same amount of money if he signs and stays.   They changed that rule with the latest CBA.   There is no longer an incentive to do it for the player.

1. Players can only get true maximum salary contracts if they remain with their previous team.

Under the old CBA, a sign-and-trade deal allowed a player to sign for the true max – in terms of total years and annual raises – even though he wasn’t remaining with his previous team. That’s no longer the case.

If, for instance, the Raptors were to sign-and-trade Lowry to another club, he wouldn’t be able to receive the five years or 8% annual raises that he would if he re-signed with Toronto — he’d still be eligible for the same starting salary, but would be limited to four years and 5% raises, reducing the overall value of his max contract by about $50MM.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/05/why-nba-sign-and-trades-are-rare.html

Edited by d2o

5 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Give dallas Faried and 14 and that belt gets a little looser

I have no idea if Denver would do this, but I would love it for the Mavs. There is definite irony in teams dumping picks (cost controlled players) to save money.

Going to be interesting when the first salary dump happens. I think it will open the floodgates because teams need to find someone to take their money before they get stuck with the tax bill. Does anyone know when the luxury tax is calculated?

45 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Kawhi and LeBron to LA.

I can definitely see them teaming up. Be it in LA or wherever. I'm guessing they would try and get Paul George there somehow.

Speaking of Kawhi, did he really just sit out while he could have played? I didn't follow that situation that closely but some of my friends who are Spurs fans were not happy with him.

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

I can definitely see them teaming up. Be it in LA or wherever. I'm guessing they would try and get Paul George there somehow.

Speaking of Kawhi, did he really just sit out while he could have played? I didn't follow that situation that closely but some of my friends who are Spurs fans were not happy with him.

similar to brady in NE, Kawhi has his own team of guys who disagreed with the Spurs docs on how to treat his injury, so he left. and didn't come back.

• Like 1

Looks like everyone is coming out of the wood work for this and Kawhi hasn't told the Spurs anything nor he wants to go to LA....... Don't get me wrong, I think he wants to be traded but his destination or preferred destination seems to be up in the air right now.

Looks like Lakers, Clippers, Knicks (LOL!), Philly, Boston, and Sacramento have all been linked....

17 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I wonder if the Spurs would want to package in Gasol's contract as well to get that off their hands?

What would the Spurs want in return if it is the Lakers? Lonzo?

Lonzo is probably a non-starter because of the baggage.  I would venture a guess would be Kuzma, Ingram and 2 firsts but I'm not sure.  I think the Lakers may have to get a 3rd team involved because of the Deng deal.

I think it's just as likely, he gets shipped East.  To either Boston or Philly..... depending on who's willing to offer more. 

EDIT:  Apparently, Woj agrees....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

53 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

He was in new York for like the last two months of the season allegedly rehabbing with his own people.   Then after the season ended he was magically better.  

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I don't think it matters for the NBA.... more guys pushed down to the G league.  Bad for college?  Maybe.  Bad for Duke and Kentucky?  Sure.

Do you remember how shitty the early 00's were, the drafts all fucking sucked. For every Lebron there were 10 korleone youngs, kwame browns, and darius milleses,

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Do you remember how shitty the early 00's were, the drafts all fucking sucked. For every Lebron there were 10 korleone youngs, kwame browns, and darius milleses,

I do..... but there was no G-league at that point.  There is now a developmental league that isn't just college so the NBA is better prepared to develop guys in their first couple of years.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I do..... but there was no G-league at that point.  There is now a developmental league that isn't just college so the NBA is better prepared to develop guys in their first couple of years.

correct

4 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

expect Ainge to offer Yasube Osemele (or however you spell his name), Daniel Theis, and a 2024 2nd round pick (top 55 protected) for Kawhi.  Ainge doesn't overpay and he can argue he doesn't really need Kawhi - they're the East favorites next year and have a very bright future with or without him, Uncle Dennis, and his jello-like quad.

If the Spurs are expecting a windfall from trading Kawhi, they are going to be sorely disappointed.

Congrats San Antonio, you've been Kyrie'd.

8 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

expect Ainge to offer Yasube Osemele (or however you spell his name), Daniel Theis, and a 2024 2nd round pick (top 55 protected) for Kawhi.  Ainge doesn't overpay and he can argue he doesn't really need Kawhi - they're the East favorites next year and have a very bright future with or without him, Uncle Dennis, and his jello-like quad.

If the Spurs are expecting a windfall from trading Kawhi, they are going to be sorely disappointed.

Ha, ha, ha..... Definitely could be.  Philly it is..... they can play against him.

56 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Yeah I do expect him to do the same thing as Kyrie.   Threaten to sit out the season if he isn't traded to the team he wants to go to.  He may not have to do that though.   He only has one yr left on his deal.   If he says he won't re-sign with anyone but the team he wants to go to it will scare all others off.    That will definitely limit how much they can expect for him.

Why do people think Boston has unlimited cap space?

They are at 101m without Smart. They need to trade Kyrie, Hayward or Horford to make this deal happen. Kyrie will be up for an extension next year, just like Kawhi. You can't Max both of them without paying stupid amounts of luxury tax. Hayward is really expensive too, and I would say redundant with Tatum and Kawhi. I would try to get out from under his 4 years 120m remaining. Either could be dealt to another team if needed, but no way do they make a big 4 out of this.

8 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Why do people think Boston has unlimited cap space?

They are at 101m without Smart. They need to trade Kyrie, Hayward or Horford to make this deal happen. Kyrie will be up for an extension next year, just like Kawhi. You can't Max both of them without paying stupid amounts of luxury tax. Hayward is really expensive too, and I would say redundant with Tatum and Kawhi. I would try to get out from under his 4 years 120m remaining. Either could be dealt to another team if needed, but no way do they make a big 4 out of this.

I dont think anyone is acting like they have unlimited space.    What they do have is a lot of assets to make a deal happen.   Also keep in mind that Kawhi's salary is only 20M.   In theory they could package up most/all of their small contracts and keep Irving, Hayward and Horford while bringing in Kawhi.   They can worry about what happens when they max Kyrie and Kawhi next season.    Then Hayward would have come back and played at least part of a season and they may be able to get more for him than what they would now with his future somewhat cloudy.

17 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Except Kawhi is miles better than Kyrie. He's a legit two way player playing at a MVP and DPOTY level when healthy. The team Boston currently has is cute, but even healthy, they have no chance against the Warriors. Adding Kawhi into that, even if they subtract some pieces, would definitely change that. 

40 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Except Kawhi is miles better than Kyrie. He's a legit two way player playing at a MVP and DPOTY level when healthy. The team Boston currently has is cute, but even healthy, they have no chance against the Warriors. Adding Kawhi into that, even if they subtract some pieces, would definitely change that. 

If healthy - who knows what's going on with Kawhi's quad, and Kawhi wasn't exactly Cal Ripken to begin with.  Also you have the Uncle Dennis factor (I doubt Ainge wants to deal with that) and will Kawhi agree to an extension?

That's what fucked Cleveland in trying to unload Kyrie - Kyrie's camp told Denver & Phoenix he wasn't going to re-sign with them so they ended up offering fuck-all and Kawhi can do the same.

And Ainge and the Celtics have time on their side - they're a very young team and can just wait out GS for another season or two (or who knows maybe even surprise them in the Finals) and then dominate the league, with or without Kawhi.

Hear me now and believe me later - the Spurs are not getting a windfall from this.  

21 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Yeah... that's not accurate at all. Players drafted from high school were pretty successful in general. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_high_school_draftees#List