Dallas Stars 2018 Offseason Thread

Longhorn_Fan68

• 2 weeks later...

HUZZAH!!!

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League announced today that broadcasts of all seven games of the 2018 Calder Cup Finals between the Toronto Marlies and the Texas Stars will be televised across Canada on TSN2 and in the United States on NHL Network.

Leafs Nation Network, which will produce the broadcasts, will also air the series for its viewers in Ontario.

The Eastern Conference champion Marlies, top development affiliate of the National Hockey League’s Toronto Maple Leafs, finished with the best record in the AHL during the regular season and carry a nine-game winning streak into the Finals after eliminating Utica (3-2), Syracuse (4-0) and Lehigh Valley (4-0). They are vying for their first championship.

The Western Conference champion Stars, top affiliate of the Dallas Stars, are in the Finals for the third time in their nine-year history and are looking to duplicate their 2014 title. Texas defeated Ontario (3-1), Tucson (4-1) and Rockford (4-2) to reach the championship round.

2018 Calder Cup Finals on TSN2 and NHL Network
Game 1 – Sat., June 2 – Texas at Toronto, 4 p.m. ET (TSN2: live; NHLN: Sunday, 9 a.m. ET)
Game 2 – Sun., June 3 – Texas at Toronto, 4 p.m. ET (live)
Game 3 – Tue., June 5 – Toronto at Texas, 8 p.m. ET (live)
Game 4 – Thu., June 7 – Toronto at Texas, 8 p.m. ET (TSN2: live; NHLN: Friday, 1 p.m. ET)
*Game 5 – Sat., June 9 – Toronto at Texas, 8 p.m. ET (live)
*Game 6 – Tue., June 12 – Texas at Toronto, 7 p.m. ET (live)
*Game 7 – Thu., June 14 – Texas at Toronto, 7 p.m. ET (live)
*if necessary

• Like 1

CEDAR PARK, Texas – The Texas Stars, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL’s Dallas Stars, and FOX Sports Southwest announced Thursday the broadcast schedule for the 2018 Calder Cup Finals against the Toronto Marlies.

FOX Sports Southwest will broadcast three Calder Cup Finals games for the Texas Stars:

GAME/DATE - NETWORK - TIME - LOCATION

Game 3 – Tuesday, June 5 - FOX Sports Southwest PLUS - 7 p.m. CT - H-E-B Center (Cedar Park, TX)

Game 4 – Thursday, June 7 - FOX Sports Southwest PLUS - 7 p.m. CT - H-E-B Center (Cedar Park, TX)

Game 5 – Saturday, June 9 - FOX Sports Southwest & PLUS - 7 p.m. CT - H-E-B Center (Cedar Park, TX) (if necessary)

The Calder Cup Finals is a best-of-seven series with the AHL’s Eastern Conference Champion Toronto Marlies holding the home-ice advantage and hosting Game 1, Game 2, Game 6 (if necessary) and Game 7 (if necessary) at Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto, Ontario.

Stars LIVE Host Josh Bogorad will provide play-by-play and Stars Analyst Brent Severyn will serve as the color analyst on FOX Sports Southwest. In addition, Texas Stars play-by-play voice Brien Rea will call the action via the online audio stream and in-arena broadcast. A complete series schedule and additional broadcast information can be found at TexasStars.com.

To be honest, I'm not expecting this to go past 5 games.  Toronto was the best team in the league in the regular season and has won 9 straight playoff games.  The T-Stars have won 11 playoff games, 7 of them in OT.  It has been really fun, but it's now David vs Goliath.

BTW, if you want discounted tickets without huge Ticketbastard fees, go here and use code "JOSH": 

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/txstars/EN/promotion/home

Edited by Beau Vine

Texas won 2-1 this afternoon, holding Toronto to 9 shots over the last two periods.  

Headed back to Texas tied 1-1. 

Game 3 – Tuesday, June 5 - FOX Sports Southwest PLUS - 7 p.m. CT - H-E-B Center (Cedar Park, TX)

Game 4 – Thursday, June 7 - FOX Sports Southwest PLUS - 7 p.m. CT - H-E-B Center (Cedar Park, TX)

Game 5 – Saturday, June 9 - FOX Sports Southwest & PLUS - 7 p.m. CT - H-E-B Center (Cedar Park, TX)

BTW, if you want discounted tickets without huge Ticketbastard fees, go here and use code "JOSH": 

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/txstars/EN/promotion/home

Edited by Beau Vine

• 2 weeks later...

Fuckin' A!  Stars went into Toronto and won one of those games that only happens in hockey.

Got dominated in the first, scored three in the 2nd, gave up an early goal in the third and then took a penalty, but scored a shortie.

5-2. 

Game 7 on Thursday on NHLN.

• 2 weeks later...

Sporting News:

Dallas Stars
Grade: B

No, this isn’t because an arena full of green-jerseyed denizens who booed incessantly during trade announcements. No, this average grade begins with the pick at 14th overall of Ty Dellandrea, whom I love as a prospect and hated knocking down in my rankings but has a low ceiling in terms of point production. They took a pair of capable Swedes with their next two picks in sniping power winger Albin Eriksson (44th) and big, two-way pivot Oskar Back (75th), and rolled the dice on 2016 re-draft Adam Mascherin (100th), who can wire the puck and create chances but has below-average speed. OHL-trained centers appeared to have been a requirement for the Stars, as they took two more in Windsor’s mammoth two-way pivot Curtis Douglas (106th) and Kitchener’s speedy, hard-shooting Riley Damiani (137th). Defenseman Dawson Barteaux (168th) has good wheels and plays a smart positional game, and overage power winger Jermaine Loewen (199th) had a breakout season scoring goals for Kamloops in the WHL.

CBS Sports:
Dallas Stars: C+
There added some intriguing pieces after the first round, particularly in the form of winger Albin Eriksson and massive fourth-round center Curtis Douglas. But that first round, when they reached for Ty Dellandrea, could have been much better.

Chris Peters, ESPN
Grade: B

"After reaching a little for the highly skilled Dellandrea, I thought Dallas had a really interesting Day 2. Albin Eriksson was gaining popularity in scouting circles late in the season. He is still pretty raw, but he's also huge and he can score. Oskar Back plays an NHL-style game already, and scooping up re-entry Adam Mascherin at No. 100 is a nice dose of skill to the system. ... I think the Stars had a strong showing at their home draft."

Cody Benjamin, CBS Sports
Grade: C+

"There added some intriguing pieces after the first round, particularly in the form of winger Albin Eriksson and massive fourth-round center Curtis Douglas. But that first round, when they reached for Ty Dellandrea, could have been much better."

Corey Pronman, The Athletic
Grade: B-

"Dellandrea was high for me at No. 13, though I do like him a lot and, if he's the guy I saw towards the last month or so of the season going forward, that could be a fine pick. On Day 2, Dallas did well. There's no pick I loved, but nearly every pick they made is a player I'd have interest in -- particularly their first three picks. Dawson Barteaux is a player I considered for my draft board but cut late. I don't see a high-end talent here, Albin Eriksson has a chance to be that, but they got a lot of good players."

Steve Kournianos, Sporting News
Grade: B** (first round), B (overall)

"Dallas went way off the board to take a gritty, two-way center who has all the intangibles and also can fill the net. Skating is deceptive and improved over season but remains slightly above average. Could be a future captain but the Stars left a lot of skill and speed on the table."

"No, this isn't because an arena full of green-jerseyed denizens who booed incessantly during trade announcements. No, this average grade begins with the pick at 14th overall of Ty Dellandrea, whom I love as a prospect and hated knocking down in my rankings but may have a low ceiling in terms of point production. They took a pair of capable Swedes with their next two picks in sniping power winger Albin Eriksson (44th) and big, two-way pivot Oskar Back (75th), and rolled the dice on 2016 re-draft Adam Mascherin (100th), who can wire the puck and create chances but has below-average speed. OHL-trained centers appeared to have been a requirement for the Stars, as they took too more in Windsor's mammoth two-way pivot Curtis Douglas (106th) and Kitchener's speedy, hard-shooting Riley Damiani (137th). Defenseman Dawson Barteaux (168th) has good wheels and plays a smart positional game, and overage power winger Jermaine Loewen (199th) had a breakout season scoring goals for Kamloops in the WHL."

Steve Silverman, Bleacher Report
Grade: B+**

"Dellandrea has played with a huge effort on an every-night basis and has stood out in the Top Prospects Game."

Ben Kerr, Last Word on Hockey
Grade: B-

"Dellandrea was a bit of a reach as there were more talented centres on the board. While Dellandrea may not become a franchise centre, he could be a top-six centre with a good defensive game. Eriksson is a big winger who skates well for his size. He has a good wrist shot. Back has the vision and passing skills to put the puck through tight areas and create scoring chances. He also has a good wrist shot but doesn't use it enough. Mascherin is a pure sniper. His shot is very heavy, but it is his release that really fools goaltenders and leads to the puck finding the back of the net.

"Douglas is a huge forward with a good wrist shot, but skating could hold him back. Damiani is the polar opposite of Douglas, an undersized forward who skates well and is a strong stick-handler but needs work on his shot. Barteaux is a great skater, which he uses to his advantage in the defensive end of the ice. His offensive game still needs to develop. Loewen is the first-ever draftee born in Jamaica. He is a big forward who went undrafted last year. He is strong on the forecheck."

Jeremy Lambert, Fansided
Grade: C

"Ty Dellandrea was ranked 25th among North American skaters by Central Scouting. Best case scenario, he was a late first round where people say, "It's not a great pick, but they were a playoff team so we'll trust them." Instead, Dallas took him in the lottery. Look, I didn't grade this draft for Dallas. The fans of Dallas graded this draft for me. They had Mike Modano and Jamie Benn up their doing a comedy routine, the crowd was into it, they were waiting for the next great Dallas superstar to be selected. And then Benn announced Ty Dellandrea. The crowd was so silent, Gary Bettman had to quickly walk on stage to make sure they were still alive. Maybe Dellandrea is the next Modano. I like to give teams the benefit of the doubt because they get paid a lot of money to scout these kids and I don't. But if you're taking someone who is a consensus second round pick in the lottery, he better be the next Modano. Otherwise, heads will roll. I never understand teams reaching this much on players. Just move back. If this pick happens at 25, it's easier to defend and Dallas gets an extra draft pick or two.

"While I didn't love what the Stars did in the first round, everything else was good. Albin Eriksson is a big young forward with great puck handling skills. Back is a playmaking center who could develop into a second line talent if all goes well. The Stars typically stay in North America with their picks, but both Swedish forwards project to be future NHL regulars. They went with Canadians the rest of the draft, except for their last pick, when they selected Jamaican born Jermaine Loewen. Bonus points for that.

"I hated what Dallas did in the first round, but they made up ground on Day 2 to turn this into an average draft."

19 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

"I hated what Dallas did in the first round, but they made up ground on Day 2 to turn this into an average draft."

Dallas Stars' draft history back to 2010 in a nutshell. Sturm was going over it last Thursday or Friday. They've absolutely face-planted with 1st round picks since 2010 but found some great players like Benn and Klingberg in Round 5. How do you not trade back in that situation and a pick or two?

Nill's drafts:

Dallas Stars Draft History
2018 Entry           NHL Totals
Draft Num. Round Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM
2018 Entry 13 1 Ty Dellandrea C Flint Firebirds [OHL]          
2018 Entry 44 2 Alban Eriksson R Skelleftea-2 (Sweden Jrs.)          
2018 Entry 75 3 Oskar Back C Farjestad-2 (Sweden Jrs.)          
2018 Entry 100 4 Adam Mascherin L Kitchener Rangers [OHL]          
2018 Entry 106 4 Curtis Douglas C Windsor Spitfires [OHL]          
2018 Entry 137 5 Riley Damiani C Kitchener Rangers [OHL]          
2018 Entry 168 6 Dawson Barteaux D Red Deer Rebels [WHL]          
2018 Entry 199 7 Jermaine Loewen R Kamloops Blazers [WHL]          

2017 Entry                    
2017 Entry 3 1 Miro Heiskanen D HIFK Helsinki [SM-liiga]          
2017 Entry 26 1 Jake Oettinger G Boston University [H-East]          
2017 Entry 39 2 Jason Robertson R Kingston Frontenacs [OHL]          
2017 Entry 101 4 Liam Hawel C Guelph Storm [OHL]          
2017 Entry 132 5 Jacob Peterson C Frolunda [Sweden-Jrs]          
2017 Entry 163 6 Brett Davis R Kootenay Ice [WHL]          
2017 Entry 194 7 Dylan Ferguson G Kamloops Blazers [WHL] 1 0 0 0 0

2016 Entry                    
2016 Entry 25 1 Riley Tufte L Fargo Force [USHL]          
2016 Entry 90 3 Fredrik Karlstrom C AIK Jrs (Sweden)          
2016 Entry 116 4 Rhett Gardner C U. of North Dakota [NCHC]          
2016 Entry 128 5 Colton Point G Carleton Place Canadians [CCHL]          
2016 Entry 146 5 Nicholas Caamano R Flint Firebirds [OHL]          
2016 Entry 176 6 Jakob Stenqvist D MODO Jrs (Sweden)          

2015 Entry                    
2015 Entry 12 1 Denis Gurianov R Tolyatti (Russia Jrs.) 1 0 0 0 0
2015 Entry 49 2 Roope Hintz L Ilves Tampere [SM-liiga]          
2015 Entry 103 4 Chris Martenet D London Knights [OHL]          
2015 Entry 133 5 Joseph Cecconi D Muskegon Lumberjacks [USHL]          
2015 Entry 163 6 Markus Ruusu G JYP Jrs (Finland)          

2014 Entry                    
2014 Entry 14 1 Julius Honka D Swift Current Broncos [WHL] 58 2 7 9 18
2014 Entry 45 2 Brett Pollock L Edmonton Oil Kings [WHL]          
2014 Entry 75 3 Alex Peters D Plymouth Whalers [OHL]          
2014 Entry 105 4 Michael Prapavessis D Toronto Lakeshore Patriots [OJHL]          
2014 Entry 115 4 Brent Moran G Niagara IceDogs [OHL]          
2014 Entry 135 5 Miro Karjalainen D Jokerit (Finland Jrs.)          
2014 Entry 154 6 Aaron Haydon D Niagara IceDogs [OHL]          
2014 Entry 165 6 John Nyberg D Frolunda (Sweden Jrs.)          
2014 Entry 195 7 Patrick Sanvido D Windsor Spitfires [OHL]          

2013 Entry                    
2013 Entry 10 1 Valeri Nichushkin R Chelyabinsk Traktor [KHL] 166 23 41 64 22
2013 Entry 29 1 Jason Dickinson C Guelph Storm [OHL] 38 3 2 5 17
2013 Entry 40 2 Remi Elie L London Knights [OHL] 90 7 14 21 26
2013 Entry 54 2 Philippe Desrosiers G Rimouski Oceanic [QMJHL]          
2013 Entry 68 3 Niklas Hansson D Rogle (Sweden Jrs.)          
2013 Entry 101 4 Nick Paul L Brampton Battalion [OHL] 36 3 3 6 6
2013 Entry 131 5 Cole Ully L Kamloops Blazers [WHL]          
2013 Entry 149 5 Matej Paulovic R Farjestad Jrs. (Sweden)          
2013 Entry 182 7 Aleksi Makela D Ilves Jrs. (Finland)        

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Dallas Stars' draft history back to 2010 in a nutshell. Sturm was going over it last Thursday or Friday. They've absolutely face-planted with 1st round picks since 2010 but found some great players like Benn and Klingberg in Round 5. How do you not trade back in that situation and a pick or two?

I dunno, man. Heiskanen looks like the real deal.

“Nailing” the third overall pick in the draft is not enough to overcome missing on 5 other years of rounds 1-7. Not to mention the top 10 of last years drafted looks loaded with studs so I’m glad Nill managed to finally draft one of them. 

2015 is a 5 alarm fire of a draft. Brazal slips to dallas and we draft some dude ranked in the 30’s with that pick. Seemed very similar to our strategy this season. Gurianav was getting DNP in the AHL playoffs this year and 4th line minutes when he made it in the lineup. 

I know i’m selling the 16 & 17 drafts short time wise but it’s prove it time for Nill. We’ve had a bunch of spare ass dude’s on the end of the NHL roster the last two seasons that should be getting pushed by our young prospects and it’s not happening. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Josh Borogard to pxp and Razor back to color. Should be a big improvement over Ludwig. 

I'm not a big fan of Bogorad. I hope this is Razor's decision to slide back over to color because he needs to be on the broadcast somewhere. Can't risk losing him.

On 7/6/2018 at 7:08 AM, futureman said:

we’re still getting karlsson.  we’re gonna have karlsson, klingberg, and heiskanen.  and we’re going to win the cup. 

Seems like a long time ago. 

On 7/25/2018 at 2:44 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Hamhuis to Preds

https://t.co/Uef9y4ZNih

This did not please me. I am willing to wait and see though.

It won't be long until it's time. 

I don't dislike Josh B. It doesn't thrill me either. I hope Luddy is back in the studio. It's Sevy flying solo at the moment. Who gets the call up?