2018 Chicago Cubs

Disco Missile

Some new faces on the team this year and some minor adjustments.
Maddon carrying 8 relievers into the season this year.

Heyward, Happ, Schwarber, Almora return in the OF.

Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, Russell, Zobrist in the IF with LaStella on the bench.

Contreras and Caratini catching, although Caratini may be used to spell Rizzo to keep him fresh.

Starting rotation looks as solid as ever with the additions of Darvish, Chatwood, and Quintana to the returning Hendricks and Lester.

Bullpen looks decent, with Carls Jr, Strop, Wilson, Duensing, and Montgomery and the new guys Eddie Butler, Steve Cishek, Brandon Morrow, and Shae Simmons.

1 hour ago, DanRydell said:

Time for Russell and Almora to take a step forward offensively.

I think Almora will be more of a supersub/defensive replacement this year as Happ is going to win the CF and Leadoff job, though he could take some starts away from Heyward. I do think this offense can be really special this year if everyone is healthy. Could see maybe 7 guys with 20+ hr's this season.

3 hours ago, shnsajax said:

I think Almora will be more of a supersub/defensive replacement this year as Happ is going to win the CF and Leadoff job, though he could take some starts away from Heyward. I do think this offense can be really special this year if everyone is healthy. Could see maybe 7 guys with 20+ hr's this season.

I would think he's gonna get some time in left as well unless 2015/16 playoff Schwarber shows up this year

18 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

I would think he's gonna get some time in left as well unless 2015/16 playoff Schwarber shows up this year

I know spring stats mean nothing but the svelte Schwarber is off to a good start at .333/.421/1.109, he won't be as bad as last year but somewhere around .280/.390/.900 is possible. Curious to if they start batting him 2nd or further down.

15 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

You misspelled Heyward. 

I think it's now or never for that guy. I think Happ has a big year. 

Yeah, I"m just assuming good defense and a .700 OPS is what he is at this point. At least until the defense fades as he hits his 30s.

Last year was gonna be near impossible to win the WS.  It was a year long celebration and there's no way that feeling of complacency didn't set in with the clubhouse as well.  They tried to turn it on during the postseason but that's not how this works. 

I think there's a deep run coming again this year.  Saw the guys in AZ and a completely different approach to this season.  Pumped!

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

I think we saw the start of Jon Lester's decline in '17, and unfortunately I think we're going to see more of it this season.  I hope he makes me eat crow, but there isn't much tread left on his tires.

He gone already.  Schwarber didn't do him any favors, but I believe you may be right 

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

I think we saw the start of Jon Lester's decline in '17, and unfortunately I think we're going to see more of it this season.  I hope he makes me eat crow, but there isn't much tread left on his tires.

Fortunately he doesn't need to be great, and we picked up some quality pitchers in the offseason. 

I think he'll be okay, with serviceable being the floor. 

43 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

Fortunately he doesn't need to be great, and we picked up some quality pitchers in the offseason. 

I think he'll be okay, with serviceable being the floor. 

Agreed, he is basically the 3rd or 4th starter stuff wise. He will be fine just won't be lights out like he has been. He will still eat innings which is what is needed over the long season.

Was at the game at it was at least 70% blue....also...Marlins Park may have the slowest concession operations of any venue I've ever been at.  It was brutal....they are obviously used to only  8000 people in the park.

I would blame Jeter, cause fuck him!

Not allowing myself to get excited yet but Heyward actually looked passable at the plate today.  Don't know any fans who haven't given up on him... if he returned to league average, it would make this lineup terrifying (as if it isn't already).

I haven’t given up on him, but also hoping he can play well enough to trade and eat half his salary after signing Harper next winter.

Hope this isn't more of the same shit as last season when these guys really struggled with RISP.  Put the first two batters on base in both the 15th and 16th and came away with zip against the Marlins, which is pathetic.  

Darvish tomorrow.  Go win the next two and exit FL with 3 of 4.