Motorcycle Fanatics Thread

stupolvo

20 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I'm interested to hear about this venture.  I'm in the same boat of wanting to start riding and get a bike, beginning with the NSF rider's course

Instead of jamming this up with newbie shit maybe I shoild start a new thread for newbs info.  Classes, gear, advice etc?  

Posted (edited)

Well I dropped my bike today.  At like 1mph.   I used too much front brake when my bars were turned slightly stopping at a stop sign. I didn't get my bars straight before braking.  Something to work on.  A few scuffs on the muffler and front brake lever.  Thats why Im practicing in my neighborhood for several months.  In hindsight I should have bought a 2k used beater and learned on that. 

I will say the most annoying and honesty uncool thing is to be told by everyone who knows I got a bike is to tell me a story about someone they know who died etc.  I know it's dangerous. I know the stats. This would be like me telling someone who told me their 16 yr old got a license.  Oh hey your teen is 10x more likely to be injured or killed as a new driver. 

Edited by midtown
  • Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2024 at 4:58 PM, CycleTex87 said:

I'm interested to hear about this venture.  I'm in the same boat of wanting to start riding and get a bike, beginning with the NSF rider's course.

My NSF course, by the end they had us riding around like trained circus animals doing circus tricks.

Except for the dudes who didn't listen. They got let go.

One of their techniques saved me from a bingle the very day after the course.

On 3/20/2024 at 8:00 PM, midtown said:

Well I dropped my bike today.  At like 1mph.   I used too much front brake when my bars were turned slightly stopping at a stop sign. I didn't get my bars straight before braking.  Something to work on.  A few scuffs on the muffler and front brake lever.  Thats why Im practicing in my neighborhood for several months. In hindsight I should have bought a 2k used beater and learned on that. 

I get this, but the finance committee in my house may only ever approve one purchase, so I got to make it count. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I get this, but the finance committee in my house may only ever approve one purchase, so I got to make it count

I'm lucky that I am the sole financial decision maker in my party of one.  As far as I can tell the used market is pretty strong supply wise.  The only reason I went new was I wanted the color.  Otherwise something used woudl have been just fine

On 3/20/2024 at 6:00 PM, midtown said:

Well I dropped my bike today.  At like 1mph.   I used too much front brake when my bars were turned slightly stopping at a stop sign. I didn't get my bars straight before braking.  Something to work on.  A few scuffs on the muffler and front brake lever.  Thats why Im practicing in my neighborhood for several months.  In hindsight I should have bought a 2k used beater and learned on that. 

I will say the most annoying and honesty uncool thing is to be told by everyone who knows I got a bike is to tell me a story about someone they know who died etc.  I know it's dangerous. I know the stats. This would be like me telling someone who told me their 16 yr old got a license.  Oh hey your teen is 10x more likely to be injured or killed as a new driver. 

"I got some pussy last night"

"oh shit...I heard about a guy that got some pussy and now he's paying child support for 18 years"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I rather liked this old photo. 
It reminds me of when my Dad had a 1918 Indian he rode back & forth from his hometown in Nodaway County, Mo. to school at Mizzou in Columbia in the late 1920s

IMG_2697.webp

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

After sitting idle since last November, I finally got these guys out of hibernation yesterday for a bit of exercise.  These pictures are a few years old, but the bikes are the same.  I was surprised at how easily they started up and how smoothly they ran after sitting for so long, especially the Suzuki, with its carburetors and all.  I am seldom ever as happy and content as when riding.  I need to do more of it.

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 12:32 PM, 83Horn said:

After sitting idle since last November, I finally got these guys out of hibernation yesterday for a bit of exercise.  These pictures are a few years old, but the bikes are the same.  I was surprised at how easily they started up and how smoothly they ran after sitting for so long, especially the Suzuki, with its carburetors and all.  I am seldom ever as happy and content as when riding.  I need to do more of it.

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

I did about 32k miles on a Bandit 1200, they’re the best UJM of all time.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/13/2024 at 10:37 PM, USCATX said:

I did about 32k miles on a Bandit 1200, they’re the best UJM of all time.  

It really is the most versatile bike.  You can cruise on it, you can tour on it, you can carve apexes on it.  Any kind of riding you want to do on paved road is possible and enjoyable, and with a minimal amount of money and a bit of mechanical skill, there is so much more performance-wise you can squeeze out of it.  I bought it new 22 years ago, and I still love it.  I love my Harley also, but if I was only allowed to have one bike, I'd sell the Harley.

Posted (edited)

So a little over a month in and I am absolutely loving this.  I've been riding BMX, ramps, road racing, mtn biking since I was 4 so I feel like my learning curve is flattened as far as balace and cornering etc but still lots to learn.  First few days it felt a tad scary going over 30.  Now I feel pretty comfy at 45-50.  Venturing further and further out of my neighborhood. (really need to go get that M on my license).  I get nastly looks from the people in the million homes neighborhood a few hoods over as I go round and round through their neighborhood.  Even ran a few grocery errands and took some stuff to baby momma house.  The one thing that I instantly notice is what everyone says.  Cars are dicks and oblivious.  Im at a stop light.  Why are you 2 feet from my rear? 

Bonus is that I havea a buddy from HS that lives in CO.  He is involved in the production of major sports events like Olympics etc.  He is a adventure rider and we are planning on doing this next summer. By then I should be really comfortable riding.

https://www.motorental.ie/

Edited by midtown

Posted (edited)

I am sending that to him.  I've also always wanted to do a tour in Viet Nam which is my favorite country in the world.  Knowing how to ride will definitely help my travel experiences.  I often find myself in places where a motorbike or scooter is the only way to get from A to B.  In Nicaragua I ended up riding a scooter while carrying a 20 lb back pack. 

Edited by midtown

Posted (edited)

Got not one but two biker salutes yesterday.  That made my day.

Btw.  Anyone use a seperate insurance company for their bikie?  I went with my current auto insurer Progressive.  I do have my mustang on a completely different policy with Hagerty and saved a ton. 

Edited by midtown

@midtown

If you really want to expand your riding ability there are a few classes I've taken over the years.

I should clarify that I got an exemption in Texas with a motorcycle permit at 15 and own a CRF250L, Ninja 1000 that I've ridden from Austin to Sturgis, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, and on to Seattle before having it shipped back to Austin as well as a YZ250.

One thing that will up your riding game is learning off road basics. They teach this class at a location outside Atlanta. I'm sure there are other locations too. The one outside Atlanta has off-road bikes you can use for the class. (Or it used to)

https://msf-usa.org/start-your-ride/dirtbike-school/

There are also follow up courses available. I've taken one for off road but not the others. However, I'm confident it will greatly enhance your capabilities, and I suggest taking all of them that you can and confirming if they provide a motorcycle if yours isn't suited.

https://msf-usa.org/advance-your-ride/

Finally, if you've taken all those and want to move your skill WAY, WAY higher California Super Bike has a 2 day class where they provide a BMW S1000 and 2 days of track school. You'll learn more in those 2 days than you will in several years of riding. Things like, entry point, apex, exit point, trail breaking, entry speeds, just so, so much. It is NOT cheap, but you'll be a very different rider on the other side.

https://superbikeschool.com/

If you have questions on gear, I own more than I care to admit. Happy to provide feedback in as much or as little detail as you like.

On insurance, Progressive is one of the better motorcycle insurance companies, but I suggest shopping every couple of years. 

Edit - Because pics or it didn't happen 

IMG_SatMay1508_14_37CDT2021.thumb.jpg.49528d6993329ca4f9f73f6c038115af.jpgIMG_SatMay1508_16_01CDT2021.thumb.jpg.ac8d4edac176233be2d2e222d1506cfd.jpgDSC_0009.thumb.JPG.b91ceaa8afe07f722eddb8b9eadceb2f.JPGKIMG0271.thumb.JPG.10fd1b44be4947303b065605526a82f4.JPGDSC_0090.thumb.JPG.766820f2946eee2e8016686f9ee62ef5.JPGKIMG0305.thumb.JPG.f1a872f576149d783653ec95e96c557d.JPG

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 3

I can see how the off road would help your on road.  Just learning to deal with the unexpected.  We are definitely going to do the next MSF courses.  Appreciate all the input.  My son got his bike yesterday.  2018 KTM RC 390.  Needs a bit of work.  The fan is crapping out and its overheating.  We had to replace the battery yesterday.   

Pretty happy with my gear choices so far but this stuff is addicting

NBT Riding pants

Shoei RF Helmet

Scorpion EXO Jacket and a Skilz riding shirt (both are highly armored)

Alpinestars riding sneakers and also a pair of winter boots but I cant remember the name

And a really nice pair of gloves

Check out the newish Alpinestar off road helmets. They are INSANELY light weight. I'll post a Pic once I get home. I know a full off road helmet isn't "cool" and not super functional for street but if your son is going to be offloading get him that lid.

https://www.alpinestars.com/collections/mx-helmets

Edited by BurntEyes

No affiliation, and no real knowledge, but these guys popped up on TWTex.com recently

https://www.deltavrider.com/

Spot on about classes and gear. I wear Motoport, Klim, or my track suit. Depending on what, where, and when.

Buy a helmet that fits! I'm cursed with a long oval head, only found a couple that I can wear all day.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Gear works, ATGATT!

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Liteitup said:

Thanks, that was last July near Jasper Arkansas. Compression fracture T7, hairline crack T5, seven fractured ribs...., all good now. 890 Duke R was totalled. 

Kept my mileage down last year. Average 10/15k a year, little over 7 last year. 

Did you overcook the turn, somebody coming the other way across the lane or what?

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

Did you overcook the turn, somebody coming the other way across the lane or what?

Rider error. Target fixation, if you want. My mind wandered, I was over the white line in a curve when I "woke up".  We weren't cooking, more semi-spirited I guess. I remember thinking, "ride this bitch out, don't give up". Then I was trying to stand up in a ravine. I did talk them out of a helicopter ride, even while being adamant that Trump was President (he wasn't).

• Like 1

Well, since gear and wrecks came up I thought I would throw in a piece that's always with me.

I ride off road and on, not infrequently alone, and frequently in very remote locations. 

Whether you fall into this group or not, I recommend a locator beacon. You might not have faculty to use it if your in too bad a way, but it's great to have if you are injured and in a remote location. I use the one in the link below. It's a simpler beacon and the cost reflects the one way, no frills aspect. It is however, small enough to keep in a riding jacket or somewhere on your bike if needed.

https://www.rei.com/product/156622/acr-electronics-rescueme-plb1-personal-locator-beacon

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

That's not a good area to wreck a bike. Not that any is. I hope you at least got to enjoy a good meal at Ozark Cafe. Highway 7?

Hwy 74 near Newton Co 3010. Nothing but good things to say about the emergency response, it was obvious they knew what they were doing. Not quite as thrilled by the wreckless driving award AHP drove all the way to Harrison to give me, but given my condition i couldn't argue about the wreckless part.

Several times in the past, but no ozark cafe this trip. We had eaten lunch at a tiny store/sandwich shop, I'm blaming the turkey.

PIB's, I carry an InReach when alone. Probably need to use it more. Usually in the tank bag..... I would have never reached it, needs to be on your body somewhere.

Edited by Liteitup
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Liteitup said:

Hwy 74 near Newton Co 3010. Nothing but good things to say about the emergency response, it was obvious they knew what they were doing. Not quite as thrilled by the wreckless driving award AHP drove all the way to Harrison to give me, but given my condition i couldn't argue about the wreckless part.

Several times in the past, but no ozark cafe this trip. We had eaten lunch at a tiny store/sandwich shop, I'm blaming the turkey.

PIB's, I carry an InReach when alone. Probably need to use it more. Usually in the tank bag..... I would have never reached it, needs to be on your body somewhere.

I agree that it really should be on your body. I ride with a small camelback. I keep it in there or in a jacket. 

One of my spills, long ago, and end over my bike was a good 50 yards down the road. If I'd had a neck or back injury, I was never making it. 

It was definitely the turkey! Tryptophan makes folks sleepy and speed hungry. Science!!!

Edited by BurntEyes

Definitely not as good as a PLB (I use one when offshore fishing) but I noted once that my Life360 app followed me down to the foot one time while about 50 miles offshore, waaaaaay past cell range.   Hundreds of circles around platforms etc were recorded.    So, would be a cheap (free) secondary option to a PLB at least so they will know where you are.