Candy

Hozz

Hulu show debuted last night and they are releasing one a night for five total episodes.  Crime drama, pretty sure it's based on a true story but I don't like to look that up to avoid spoilers.  Jessica Biel is the lead role and Jonah from Veep plays her husband.  Starts sort of slow but gets real good after 20 mins or so.  Candy is sort of a stereotype Texas suburban housewife from the early 80s.

Also has Nick Sobotka (but not his girlfriend's titties) and Melanie Lynskey, who is... I don't even know what it is I originally know her from but she's great in everything

Yellowjackets_109_2566_R.jpg

And Jessica Biel is in there looking like this

candy-hulu-1.jpg

I don't remember this case at all, which... I didn't exist, but also I'm not sure I ever heard of it. This is a gruesome murder that happened in Wylie, Texas (Dallas suburb/exurb based on the Target she was trying to get to) in 1980 and because of the characters involved there was quite a bit of intrigue. This is what I gathered when I looked up what this show was supposed to be before deciding fuck it and watching episode 1 last night.

I think I'm in for 5 eps just based on the cast and setting. Man there is a lot of 1980s Texas.

Candy-First-Look-cr-Tina-Rowden-Hulu-Pub

I don't know a whole ton about the case, what happens, etc, but it is not taking the approach of "slow burn leading up to the event". I'm enjoying it so far. Interesting to see Jessica Biel back and doing something different. Jonah is a good dad character. I hope Melanie Lynskey gets some opportunities to shine, she made for a pretty good bummer of a housewife in ep 1. I bet it was tough for women in the 80s when I'm guessing they didn't do a whole ton on the post partum front.

First saw Melanie Lynskey in Detroit Rock City.  She was also in Two and a Half Men.

Regarding 'Candy', I don't recall this at all.  I was not too concerned with the world outside of high school... Lake Waco triple murders an another story though.  It is fascinating with the area that this takes in and knowing that I have family that lives around there.  

We are two episodes in and we will stick it out.

On 5/10/2022 at 12:32 PM, Celery Man said:

Also has Nick Sobotka (but not his girlfriend's titties) and Melanie Lynskey, who is... I don't even know what it is I originally know her from but she's great in everything

Yellowjackets_109_2566_R.jpg

And Jessica Biel is in there looking like this

candy-hulu-1.jpg

I don't remember this case at all, which... I didn't exist, but also I'm not sure I ever heard of it. This is a gruesome murder that happened in Wylie, Texas (Dallas suburb/exurb based on the Target she was trying to get to) in 1980 and because of the characters involved there was quite a bit of intrigue. This is what I gathered when I looked up what this show was supposed to be before deciding fuck it and watching episode 1 last night.

I think I'm in for 5 eps just based on the cast and setting. Man there is a lot of 1980s Texas.

Candy-First-Look-cr-Tina-Rowden-Hulu-Pub

I don't know a whole ton about the case, what happens, etc, but it is not taking the approach of "slow burn leading up to the event". I'm enjoying it so far. Interesting to see Jessica Biel back and doing something different. Jonah is a good dad character. I hope Melanie Lynskey gets some opportunities to shine, she made for a pretty good bummer of a housewife in ep 1. I bet it was tough for women in the 80s when I'm guessing they didn't do a whole ton on the post partum front.

21 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Lynskey has something going on that makes it move. I can’t explain it, but….yeah.

Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

Only know her from the psycho wife accidental killer from Good Girls but hey, to each their own. Even dolled up on the red carpet she looks like a chubby version of Robbin Sparkles/Scherbatsky of HIMYM.

On 5/13/2022 at 8:43 PM, Celery Man said:

I enjoyed that. There’s an upcoming HBO thing about the same case with the Olsen not twin, I’ll probably watch that as well.

I need to look up the case now that there are no spoilers. Bananas. Also liked Timberlake as the detective.

Yeah I thought it was great.  JT has a hell of a lot of talent and impressive range as an actor.  I can't believe she got off, again though don't know anything about the real case maybe the show made her seem a lot more guilty than she was.  The whole 41 times thing though...I thought the scene with Jonah/Pat whacking on the tree stump was great.

On 5/13/2022 at 7:28 PM, achooloco said:

Only know her from the psycho wife accidental killer from Good Girls but hey, to each their own. Even dolled up on the red carpet she looks like a chubby version of Robbin Sparkles/Scherbatsky of HIMYM.

Other than Detroit Rock City and Rose from Two and a Half Men I remember her from an underrated good movie called "But I'm a Cheerleader". She's got an understated cuteness to her. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sitting with it a bit more, I wish they had perhaps shown a bit more how it was that the jury reached the verdict that they did. Maybe that's different than the story they were trying to tell, and I suppose they did illustrate that prosecution failing to adapt and the audaciousness/knack for drama from the defense, but still.

Agree that the ax scene with Jonah was great. That and the preceding scene where he sees the shoes in the trash can, both great and say a lot without any dialogue.

In real life, the defense attorney did indeed run for governor and get 11% of the vote. He spiraled out with booze and coke and later killed himself. He had expressed at least some mild regret about the trial,

Can't believe the husband stuck with her for another 4 years or whatever it was.

I think I recommended it upthread but for Lynskey, her Netflix movie with Frodo was enjoyable. In the tradition of God Bless America or I guess Falling Down

great dog name in that movie

Decided I'm never going to watch this so looked it up and oh shit this happened minutes from where I'm from. I wasn't born yet at the time but in this very long 2 pt Texas Monthly article that goes into a ton of detail about the affair I know the area and streets described like the back of my hand. Drove down Bethany/1378 several times a week. Hard to imagine how different and rural it was back then. 

And anybody from this area around Central Expressway knows the Como Motel and apparently thats where they would meet to get it on for months on end. 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/love-and-death-in-silicon-prairie-part-i-candy-montgomerys-affair/

Edited by Hermanator

I’m amazed the prosecutors lost this case. Pure ineptitude.

That’s what I initially thought too but then after thinking a bit, why would Candy drive over to someone’s house where other people know she’s going/leaving, kill her, and do basically nothing with the body or alibi?

I have no idea if there’s a charge for unnecessary overreaction (axing her 40+ times), but seems like the most reasonable situation is that the woman confronted her about the affair and attacked Candy, and then Candy acted in self defense ultimately resulting in killing her and then going crazy in the struggle.

I see no reasonable way any half rationale person in Candys situation would have committed murder

That’s what I initially thought too but then after thinking a bit, why would Candy drive over to someone’s house where other people know she’s going/leaving, kill her, and do basically nothing with the body or alibi?

I have no idea if there’s a charge for unnecessary overreaction (axing her 40+ times), but seems like the most reasonable situation is that the woman confronted her about the affair and attacked Candy, and then Candy acted in self defense ultimately resulting in killing her and then going crazy in the struggle.

I see no reasonable way any half rationale person in Candys situation would have committed murder

I think Candy went crazy losing Allan, and still keeping kids and being involved in the church with Betty all happy after Marriage Encounter. Candy and Pat didn’t get the same results. She might not have gone there to commit murder but Betty triggered her and she went crazy on her. If she didn’t remember she took a shower and hid evidence afterwards. I think she mutilated the body out of either rage or to cast blame on a random axe murderer. I know they portrayed the prosecutors as goobers but still I would have thought they would have gotten a manslaughter conviction.