Space force - the 6th military branch

bernorange

12 hours ago, BamaATL said:

You all just don't want us claiming a Space Force National Championship, I see how it is.

Actually, it makes no sense to relocate it from a financial or strategic point of view.  This is all bullshit politics.  Also, I realize I am in the minority on this, but I think ultimately Space Force makes sense as a branch, if for no other reason than coordination on military space pursuits and operations.  That said, I realize many of you disagree.  

I don't see why it needs to be a separate branch from the Air Force really.  Of course, the fact that it was brought into being by children who thought it sounded cool makes me hate it even more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't see why it needs to be a separate branch from the Air Force really.  Of course, the fact that it was brought into being by children who thought it sounded cool makes me hate it even more.

My view on it, and it's just that, is that you don't want unnecessary redundancy in spending.  I.E. The Air Force has surveillance satellites to do one thing, they Marines want another, and since the don't coordinate we wind up with two systems instead of the more efficient one. But having all their satellite needs filtered and coordinated in on spot, some waste may be reduced.  At least that is the idea in theory.  Now why it couldn't just stay under the Air Force umbrella, basically pissing contest.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, BamaATL said:

You all just don't want us claiming a Space Force National Championship, I see how it is.

Actually, it makes no sense to relocate it from a financial or strategic point of view.  This is all bullshit politics.  Also, I realize I am in the minority on this, but I think ultimately Space Force makes sense as a branch, if for no other reason than coordination on military space pursuits and operations.  That said, I realize many of you disagree.  

Elections have consequences. Isn't that right Mr. Tuberville?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, BamaATL said:

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, if it wasn't brought into being by Trump and his cronies/political allies, I'd be more open to it.

I get why it can make things more efficient, especially as space becomes more of a thing (the Navy and AF would be fighting like hell over it).

But at the same time, the Air Force was doing just fine with keeping Stargate Command under control and under wraps.

stargate atlantis television GIF

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I wouldn't leave the Marine Corps out of this because somebody has to land on the alien planet's surface and fight the Bugs.

Doing My Part Reaction GIF

Also don’t give them ideas about service guaranteeing citizenship and the sole ability to vote 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 8/4/2023 at 7:12 AM, BamaATL said:

My view on it, and it's just that, is that you don't want unnecessary redundancy in spending.  I.E. The Air Force has surveillance satellites to do one thing, they Marines want another, and since the don't coordinate we wind up with two systems instead of the more efficient one. But having all their satellite needs filtered and coordinated in on spot, some waste may be reduced.  At least that is the idea in theory.  Now why it couldn't just stay under the Air Force umbrella, basically pissing contest.

In many contexts redundancy is not inefficiency. Having redundant surveillance systems seems like a good idea.

• Hook 'Em 2