2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

#IowaSoWhite

He better get ready because I have a feeling every other candidate will be after his ass in next weeks debate.

It's going to be tough. He's gay, a vet, and he has the media in his pocket right now. He also never really takes a stance on anything and has several candidates on the stage that share his approach. 

I mean, this is just an embarrassing display by detractors on here (and moreso on Twitter) trying to minimize and racialize this moment. 

This may very well be the high point of the Buttigieg campaign, and it could all go downhill from here. He clearly is lacking in POC support at the moment. Geez, who would have  thought that a white Midwestern 37 year old with 0% name recognition 9 months ago could be struggling with POC with 15 candidates still in the race? 

- He has the most offices in Iowa. He's been campaigning their religiously. He is hitting red counties just as often as blue counties. He's done 2 bus tours through Iowa. His lead in this poll is due to hard work and completely deserved.

- He might never get enough POC to vote for him. If that's the case, his candidacy is dead in the water. But acting like he clearly should be doing better right now is just being disingenuous.  This dude is going up against an 8 year VP, the 2016 Dem nominee runner up, a popular U.S Senator that is running a great campaign, and numerous other Senators, Governors, and Congresspeople. He's got a big hill to climb. But he will work his ass off to try and earn their votes.

- He started this campaign with 3 staff members and about 10k people on his email donor list. As a comparison, Beto had over 700k people on his donor email list when he entered the primary.

- He is 3rd in the primary behind Warren and Sanders with over 600k individual donors. Yes, the guy who got 8500 votes in his second term as SB mayor has more individual donors than Kamala, Biden, Booker, etc.  Stop acting like he is just a media creation. His message is resonating. 

- I don't want to hear shit about "positive" press that Pete's been getting. He does numerous TV interviews. He comes off well in all of them. Every other major candidate has an open invitation on all of these TV shows, but they balk more often than not.  Print/online journalists on the left have been KILLING him for 4-5 months. Just relentless negative commentary and hit pieces that have been passed around on Twitter. 

Again, this could all fall apart for him tomorrow. But at least show some begrudging respect for a guy who's clearly got great organizational and campaign skills. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

- I don't want to hear shit about "positive" press that Pete's been getting. He does numerous TV interviews. He comes off well in all of them. Every other major candidate has an open invitation on all of these TV shows, but they balk more often than not.  Print/online journalists on the left have been KILLING him for 4-5 months. Just relentless negative commentary and hit pieces that have been passed around on Twitter. 

Do you think the positivity Pete gets from cable news vs. print/online has to do with the fact that the cable news outlets get a ton of revenue from advertisers that Pete wants to protect (pharma, health insurers)?

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Do you think the positivity Pete gets from cable news vs. print/online has to do with the fact that the cable news outlets get a ton of revenue from advertisers that Pete wants to protect (pharma, health insurers)?

No. JFC. 

It's because he actually says yes to most of  the interview requests. And his affable and just naturally good at it. 

38 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I just wanted to quote this again for how fucking stupid it is. Good grief. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

this is fantastic. 

the paranoid always assume those who are coming for them are so strategic, calculated, and organized. 

i haven’t seen “positive” from cable news. just reporting of the facts. cnn says he’s doing well in iowa because he is. they’ve reported he has an issue with poc because he does. I’m not seeing puff pieces. just normal non-controversial candidate stuff most of the dem candidates are getting.  

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Good at what, specifically?

he’s good at engaging the audience, and has a relatable way of communicating his thoughts, ideas, and reasoning to viewers that seems to resonate well with them.

to put it simply, in deference to you, kent, he’s likable.  just because you guys hate him, doesn’t mean everyone else should.

he’s not bribing people or selling snake oil. he’s polling top 4 nationally and doing well with fundraising because of his personality and presentation of ideas, and much of that has happened via tv interviews, town-halls, and televised speeches. 

these are all facts and help explain why hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people are supporting him, whether you agree with him or not, or whether you like him or not. 

but sure, let’s pretend hank is the one who has issues with when to be critical.  sheesh. 

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

to put it simply, in deference to you, kent, he’s likable.

To whom?

I'm not sneakily arguing that he's not actually likable, I am just wanting to know if you realize that he actually has a fairly specific audience that finds him likable and what that audience is.

People on the left have grown to not just dislike but outright despise him. Why?

Non-whites don't seem to care for him at all. Why?

When you say that "he's good at engaging the audience", do we have actual metrics for that?

Life is not a meritocracy. The idea that people "deserve" cable news positivity is a childlike view of how media works. Cable news exists for the powerful, is funded by the powerful, and is staffed by the powerful.

And this pretense that the positivity and negativity of cable news pundits being watched by millions is earned and deserved is even more laughable.

Corporations have agendas. Grow the fuck up.

• Like 1

- How many cable news hosts talk about our involvement in the recent coup in Bolivia, or even call it a coup?

- How many cable news hosts focus on the crippling wealth inequality in America?

- How many cable news hosts talk about the thousands and thousands of Americans dying without healthcare?

- How many cable news hosts put billionaires on air that no one knows or cares about?

- How many cable news hosts call Israel an apartheid state running an open-air prison in Gaza?

There are wide ranges of views that aren't even allowed on cable news.

• Like 1

White liberals and centrists in February 2019: "Electability is the only thing really worth considering we have to get Trump out. Everything else can be put aside."

White liberals and centrists in November 2019: "Look, I know he's got no shot at winning a state that isn't 90+% white, but he just makes me feel so good!"

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

White liberals and centrists in February 2019: "Electability is the only thing really worth considering we have to get Trump out. Everything else can be put aside."

White liberals and centrists in November 2019: "Look, I know he's got no shot at winning a state that isn't 90+% white, but he just makes me feel so good!"

This hypocrisy is hard to overstate and another great example of how “electability” is a fictional concept.

46 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

If you want to equate "the left" with hardcore progressives, sure.  Will not argue that progressives fear him as the enemy within just as centrists fear progressives as the enemy within.

As someone that wrongly praised Jeff Flake for being amazing with rhetoric while ignoring his record, I get the same vibe with Pete except Pete lacks the experience to prove the rhetoric doesn’t match the record. 

He’s political comfort food for people looking to put a sweet face on our horrible system of corporate control and exploitation. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

If you want to equate "the left" with hardcore progressives, sure.  Will not argue that progressives fear him as the enemy within just as centrists fear progressives as the enemy within.

With regard to centrists, what are they even "in" where an enemy could be?

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Certainly latinx seems to be underrepresented. What is the % of African Americans in the US population these days?

US Census Bureau QuickFacts

Black: 13%
Hispanic/Latino: 18%
Non-Hispanic White: 60%
Asian: 6%

Again...

ethnic-diversity-cable-3.jpg

So that's a demographic representation of ALL Americans, right? Meaning, this includes Republicans who will never vote for Pete Buttigieg or any other Democratic candidate.

So let's look at the 2018 voter demographics...

- 44% of whites went Democratic (in the blue wave 2018 midterm)
- 90% of blacks went Democratic
- 69% of Latino/Hispanic went Democratic
- 77% of Asians went Democratic

Mass media news exists to be the mouthpiece of elite white power and wealth. Pete speaks the language of elite white power and wealth very very well. This is why mass media loves Pete. This is how Pete can skyrocket in white monocultures like Iowa and mass media news/punditry, but make little/no movement in areas that are not white monocultures (other states and in more diverse media landscapes).

This is just what it is. It's in front of your faces.

Edited by bad_teammate

Regarding the "enemy within", we're both right.

The left is the enemy of centrists.
Centrists are the enemy of the left.

They want different things. Centrists want a maintenance of the current power and wealth order. The left wants to overturn it. These things are in tension and that tension cannot be waved away. Someone will win (centrists have won forever and are almost certainly going to win again) and someone will lose.

6 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Corp media really did a number on Warren the last month. 

Warren’s campaign strategy seems to be geared to take this into account by focusing on person to person advocacy and selling her plans over her personality.  They knocked her down a year ago over DNA-gate, they wrote her political obituary in March when she was polling at 6%, and she’s getting knocked around now but it’s for the best. 

Warren brings a lot of scrutiny on herself too by leaning right into the shit sandwiches the media manufactures for her.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Warren’s campaign strategy seems to be geared to take this into account by focusing on person to person advocacy and selling her plans over her personality.  They knocked her down a year ago over DNA-gate, they wrote her political obituary in March when she was polling at 6%, and she’s getting knocked around now but it’s for the best. 

Warren brings a lot of scrutiny on herself too by leaning right into the shit sandwiches the media manufactures for her.  

She was their horse for a while because they thought they could change her, but as soon as she made it abundantly clear that she was serious about dismantling private health insurance and going after the super rich, they have turned on her. They thought they could compromise her, but they can't to the extent they will accept.

Fuck 'em.

33 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This is why mass media loves Pete.

so what’s the evidence that mass media loves pete more than warren?  or loves pete at all?  is it because they didn’t cover the coup in bolivia?  maybe step outside your echo chamber to make decisions for yourself instead of believing the twitter-bro conspiracy theories.

this thread has somehow become a satire of itself. i don’t remember the last time i saw something negative about warren on cnn.

and anything i see on bernie is positive as well. they’re nice to anyone trying to take down trump. oh, but wait, one time they screwed that graphic up that should’ve had bernie in the “top tier” in some random poll.  

big pharma strikes again!

14 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

bernie is white, rich, and powerful, but liking him just makes me feel so superior, and that feels pretty good...

It's not about Pete himself being white, rich, or powerful. Mass media is not the mouthpiece of Pete Buttigieg, it is the mouthpiece of elite white power and wealth.

You know this.

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

and anything i see on bernie is positive as well.

Is this a joke?

Show me some negative punditry from mass media on Pete that is near the level of how they go after Bernie. I genuinely haven't seen it.

Edited by bad_teammate

46 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Regarding the "enemy within", we're both right.

The left is the enemy of centrists.
Centrists are the enemy of the left.

They want different things. Centrists want a maintenance of the current power and wealth order. The left wants to overturn it. These things are in tension and that tension cannot be waved away. Someone will win (centrists have won forever and are almost certainly going to win again) and someone will lose.

The left should leave the Democratic Party because the Democratic Party wants the maintenance of the current power and wealth order.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Is this a joke?

i rarely see bernie related stories on cnn, but whenever i do, they’re positive. they covered him walking with the wife post-heart attack, they covered the aoc/squad endorsements.  they may not like each other and he may not often appear, but i don’t see much negative for him (or any dems really). 

i’m assuming that video shows how wrong i am, but can’t listen to audio currently. 

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Quick, David, put the mask back on, you're not supposed to let it slip like this!!!

I don't think it's a secret at all. In fact, the party is pretty open about it. That's what Obama's recent comments were all about. Maintaining the order without revolution.

The Democratic Party, like the Republican Party, is part of the establishment.

Bernie Sanders should not be running as a Democrat. Elizabeth Warren should.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I don't think it's a secret at all. In fact, the party is pretty open about it. That's what Obama's recent comments were all about. Maintaining the order without revolution.

The Democratic Party, like the Republican Party, is part of the establishment.

Bernie Sanders should not be running as a Democrat. Elizabeth Warren should.

Who is the leader of the Democratic Party?