2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

Liz's campaign peeps were dumb to get pissed about the Bernie canvassers calling her elitist. She doesn't have great political instincts but fuck, she has great vision and policy ideas. Liz!!!!! Fucking get your shit together and get back to a détente with Bernie ASAP. 

A couple of takes on what happened and why:

I know the Berners hate hoarse but this was some decent analysis.

Of course the Bernie people will blame the Warren campaign and visa versa.  

I’m willing to acknowledge now it was likely the Warren campaign that leaked it although still no named sources. 

hopefully the bullshit ends here

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

The problem in two parts...

Interlocking, interconnected teams of establishment actors running campaigns and coordinating with corporate media.

This is poison.

There is deep rot in the Warren campaign that is fucking it up for her and the left. It needs to be rooted out. Whoever worked with CNN on a doomed to fail strategy that ultimately just benefits their interlock clients needs to go.

Not arguing with Hugo here, postin' for my non-Hugos...

What both campaigns were doing last weekend was rolling out electability arguments that specifically avoided attacking the candidates themselves. Which, they should.

Just as a contextual reminder, this is the Bernie volunteer script on Warren from last weekend that supposedly broke the non-aggression pact.

"I like Elizabeth Warren. [optional]. In fact, she’s my second choice. But here’s my concern about her. The people who support her are highly-educated, more affluent people who are going to show up and vote Democratic no matter what. She’s bringing no new bases into the Democratic Party. We need to turn out disaffected working class voters if we’re going to beat Trump.”

- No criticism of Warren herself here.
- Polls for an entire year bear this out to be true.
- It has "I like her" as optional and "she's my second choice" as mandatory.

What does a rational, emotionally stable observer give this on the Politics Under Statistical Sampling Yield 0-10 scale? (Where an 8 is W push polling in South Carolina that John McCain had an illegitimate black child.)

0.5? 1?

That same weekend, Warren campaign surrogate Julian Castro said this, “What we see consistently in the data is that 25% of the Democratic primary voters would be unhappy if Sen. Sanders is the nominee, and 25% of Democratic voters would be unhappy if Vice President Biden is the nominee,” Castro said. “Less people have a problem, more people embrace, Sen. Warren being the Democratic nominee.”

- No criticism of Bern Man himself here
- Inaccurate representation of polling (the data: Liz 11%, Bernie 16%, and Biden 21% - it doesn't really matter I'm just gay for crosstabs)
- No positivity about Bernie

What's the rational and emotionally stable PUSSY score there? 0.8? 1.2?

Either way we are talking tiny stuff, right? Taco Bell farts in the seismic reading lab. And, importantly, completely impersonal, right?

The NAP was maintained there.

Then comes the leak to CNN...
- Entirely personal
- Nothing to do with electability or the campaign
- Divulging a private conversation

PUSSY score... 4? 4.5?

Then comes the post-debate confrontation...
- Escalation
- Public embarrassment

PUSSY score... 2.5? 3?

------------------------

I think it's fairly inarguable that Warren escalated and continued that escalation. Yes, non-Hugo reader? Is that fair?

If that's your style, you hit back harder than you got hit, that's actually good IMO. Trump won on that. I am on record as liking a fighter. I like candidates who get pissed.

Like I said in the debate thread, if this is the birth of Dark Liz then I'm excited because Selfie Liz would get wrecked by Trump. That's a primary frontrunner character. Dark Liz can be a queen who wins the general.

There are dangers in being that guy, though, especially if you don't commit to the bit.

- You can't be both a disproportionate counter-puncher and a uniter
- It is much harder for allies to trust you
- If you waver from the style, you come across as uncontrolled rather than tough

Is it working? We will see. It's clearly galvanized Bernie's support for him. Huge donation numbers and tens of thousands of new people getting on the Bro Blimp.

Bernie isn't a counter-puncher, but he eats shots without flinching and stays on his pace. (Sorry for the boxing metaphors.)

Is Warren seeing the same response? Don't know. I'd say odds are good she's tightening her grip on what she has more than anything. And I don't think she's broadening her appeal to the unengaged or squishy.

It's interesting as hell, though.

Edited by bad_teammate

10 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

They need to hate fuck and chill already!!!!! Fucking CNN and twitter dweebs for blowing this into epic proportions. I think the Russians have plants in the Bernie Bros and CNN. hahahaha

Liz's campaign peeps were dumb to get pissed about the Bernie canvassers calling her elitist. She doesn't have great political instincts but fuck, she has great vision and policy ideas. Liz!!!!! Fucking get your shit together and get back to a détente with Bernie ASAP. 

Thanks for that picture 

puke throw up GIF

disgusted emma stone GIF

Edited by workswithseed
Seriously, why isn't it showing the gif in edditor
  • Like 1

Journalists trying to make themselves part of the story is always a problem.

CNN is just abysmal. I think we can all agree they are a flaming garbage heap.

But right now we have journalists whose job is to cover these campaigns trying to become part of the stagecraft and campaign optics management program.

Agree or disagree with their takes (I personally like Ryan Grim and "We've Got People" is a great book that I've read 10 pages of), but they're just getting themselves wrapped up in trying to manage the personality disputes and journalism is fucking DEAD.

They are professional Twitter users more than journalists. It's just poisonous for democracy.

13 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

The problem in two parts...

Interlocking, interconnected teams of establishment actors running campaigns and coordinating with corporate media.

This is poison.

There is deep rot in the Warren campaign that is fucking it up for her and the left. It needs to be rooted out. Whoever worked with CNN on a doomed to fail strategy that ultimately just benefits their interlock clients needs to go.

Bernie's worked with Blue State Digital too. Not sure that means much. CNN letting GOP political operatives run their politics programming on the other hand, is obviously horrible.

Yes, dude, Bernie lives in a society.

"chief strategist"

"I mean, you can criticize Pete for having Goldman Sachs leading his finance team, but like, Bernie uses banks for money so... hypocrisy much?"

I'm talking about the structural rot within these established power systems and how they turn into the flaming shitshow that has kneecapped the candidacy of a fantastic candidate like Warren whose intentions were good and who clearly trusted people who don't give a shit about her because that's what you have to do in this system unless you have an unprecedented and untouchable grassroots army that you built after decades of ideological purity.

So we really and sincerely don't see a problem with campaigns being run by the same recycled groups of people who all have interlocked and interconnected financial interests?

Another question: Do you think progressive, grassroots advisers and figures within the Warren campaign wanted a war with Sanders? If not them, what kind of people within the Warren campaign wanted this fight? Who got in her ear recently?

15 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes, dude, Bernie lives in a society.

"chief strategist"

"I mean, you can criticize Pete for having Goldman Sachs leading his finance team, but like, Bernie uses banks for money so... hypocrisy much?"

I'm talking about the structural rot within these established power systems and how they turn into the flaming shitshow that has kneecapped the candidacy of a fantastic candidate like Warren whose intentions were good and who clearly trusted people who don't give a shit about her because that's what you have to do in this system unless you have an unprecedented and untouchable grassroots army that you built after decades of ideological purity.

So we really and sincerely don't see a problem with campaigns being run by the same recycled groups of people who all have interlocked and interconnected financial interests?

Another question: Do you think progressive, grassroots advisers and figures within the Warren campaign wanted a war with Sanders? If not them, what kind of people within the Warren campaign wanted this fight? Who got in her ear recently?

Oh I do, I'm just not really familiar enough with Blue State Digital to know what they are or what their work for Bernie's last campaign consisted of.

Generally speaking, I think the professional Dem consulting class are some of the absolute dumbest people in this country if not on the planet. While I certainly think they'll prioritize their own financial incentives over the success of the candidates they work for, I tend to think most of their worst campaign decisions can be chalked up to their own stupidity more than a conscious attempt to kneecap their own candidates out of a desire to maintain the existing system they benefit from. Of course, I think that's tied up in its own systemic issue of them being so stupid because they're truly bought in to all the inside the beltway ideology and don't have any idea how real people think or behave.

Man, the list of shit we need to fix is endless. @Brisketexan, clear some extra room on that ledge.

• Like 1

Journalism!!!

[edit]

OK, I'm kind of scared.

I like Weigel, too, so this is just... fuck

The media class that is following these people around aren't Bernie fans because Bernie very openly hates them (as all candidates should). They LOVED McCain because McCain would talk to them and praise them and pet them. Warren isn't like McCain, but she's way more engaged with them than Bernie, so you have all these woke, well-intentioned journalists who like Warren convincing each other (Grim and Weigel in this case) that the spin from their embed candidate is real...

and they're walking into a god damned buzzsaw.

The idea that Donald Trump was defanged by the DNA test is the kind of thinking that is going to have our candidate get fucking annihilated. In that thread Weigel says "It partially worked, insofar as we've had seven debates and it's never come up." as if it was ever an option that it would've come up in a Democratic debate. As if any of her opponents would ever bring it up.

HE THINKS THE DEMOCRATIC DEBATES ARE ANALOGOUS TO WHAT IS COMING IN THE GENERAL

Holy shit.

And I think it's indicative of how that class of people actually think. They're all smart, woke white people with good educations and a DC/Beltway/Acela Corridor worldview and mindset. Correct opinions and correct thinking. And zero connection to human beings outside their own class.

RAILROAD-OWNERSHIP-OF-THE-NORTHEAST-CORR

Amateur hour.

Trump is going to win again.

Fuck this gay earth.

Edited by bad_teammate

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Journalists trying to make themselves part of the story is always a problem.

CNN is just abysmal. I think we can all agree they are a flaming garbage heap.

But right now we have journalists whose job is to cover these campaigns trying to become part of the stagecraft and campaign optics management program.

Agree or disagree with their takes (I personally like Ryan Grim and "We've Got People" is a great book that I've read 10 pages of), but they're just getting themselves wrapped up in trying to manage the personality disputes and journalism is fucking DEAD.

They are professional Twitter users more than journalists. It's just poisonous for democracy.

Grim wants Bernie or Warren to win. He'll do whatever it takes to make it happen. 

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

The media class that is following these people around aren't Bernie fans because Bernie very openly hates them (as all candidates should). They LOVED McCain because McCain would talk to them and praise them and pet them. Warren isn't like McCain, but she's way more engaged with them than Bernie, so you have all these woke, well-intentioned journalists who like Warren convincing each other (Grim and Weigel in this case) that the spin from their embed candidate is real...

and they're walking into a god damned buzzsaw.

The idea that Donald Trump was defanged by the DNA test is the kind of thinking that is going to have our candidate get fucking annihilated. In that thread Weigel says "It partially worked, insofar as we've had seven debates and it's never come up." as if it was ever an option that it would've come up in a Democratic debate. As if any of her opponents would ever bring it up.

HE THINKS THE DEMOCRATIC DEBATES ARE ANALOGOUS TO WHAT IS COMING IN THE GENERAL

Holy shit.

And I think it's indicative of how that class of people actually think. They're all smart, woke white people with good educations and a DC/Beltway/Acela Corridor worldview and mindset. Correct opinions and correct thinking. And zero connection to human beings outside their own class.

RAILROAD-OWNERSHIP-OF-THE-NORTHEAST-CORR

Amateur hour.

Trump is going to win again.

Fuck this gay earth.

Enjoyed this post, and would like to add my own color. 

The DC/Beltway/NY journalists seem to be pretty young these days. I'd argue that the vast majority of them would be happy with Warren or Bernie as the nominee. I think most of them actually like Bernie, but his supporters can be rough on Twitter and sometimes they just avoid talking about him. Absolutely no question that Warren is the clear favorite and that she has a ton of allies in the print/online journalism world. 

IMO a lot of these journalists are embracing the idea of being a class traitor and really jumping on board with the progressive narrative. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it feels like pretty distinct lines are being drawn. 

I generally like Weigel as well, but he's clearly focused on propping up/defending Warren more vociferously these days, and his takes are getting shittier. Interesting that he's a former libertarian/Rand Paul guy. 

25 minutes ago, LABEVO said:

BT is beating regarding his hard-on for Bernie and hatred for Warren. 

“I like Warren, she’s my second choice but here are my concerns (goes on to underhandedly undermine her candidacy with a whole lot of bullshit)”

BT operates exactly like that volunteer script the Bernie campaign lied about then got caught and had to fess up.  He probably wrote it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

“I like Warren, she’s my second choice but here are my concerns (goes on to underhandedly undermine her candidacy with a whole lot of bullshit)”

BT operates exactly like that volunteer script the Bernie campaign lied about then got caught and had to fess up.  He probably wrote it. 

Not helpful in ousting Trump. 

Sanders' profile in the NYT (user friendly):

In other words, what I believe is when you rally the American people around an agenda that works for working people, we can do more than one thing at a time. I’m asked every single day, “What’s your top priority?” There is no top priority. The top priority is to create a government that works for all of us, not just the people on top.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/01/13/opinion/bernie-sanders-nytimes-interview.html

A college degree no longer makes a family wealthier:

College Degrees Used to Make Families Wealthier. That’s No Longer True

The high cost of education and soaring student loan debt has choked off the net worth of younger families.

Historically, a bachelor’s degree was perhaps the single most important key to increasing people’s income and their wealth. The conventional wisdom is that a college education all but guarantees access to the middle class and a higher standard of living for each successive generation. Yet new research from the Federal Reserve Bank of Saint Louis calls this equation into question.

The numbers are stark. The college income premium still exists. But the wealth premium—the difference in net worth between college and non-college graduates—has plunged since 1940. Put simply: College graduates today are experiencing a profound struggle to generate wealth. The biggest culprit is likely the surging cost of higher education and an accompanying increase in student loan debt.

The researchers analyzed the Federal Reserve Board’s Survey of Consumer Finances, which encompasses economic data about heads of households through the 20th century. While they still found that an income premium exists—meaning that college graduates still earn more than non-graduates—the wealth premium has essentially disappeared for non-white graduates born in the 1980s. (White college graduates born in the 1980s retain a wealth premium.) This is a “striking divergence between the income and wealth outcomes.”

https://www.worth.com/college-degrees-used-to-make-families-wealthier-thats-no-longer-true/

The system is broken.

Sign of the times - depressive realism may be more logical than optimism (i.e., the Ledge may hold the only sane people - although I hope not . . . ).

Depressive realism

We keep chasing happiness, but true clarity comes from depression and existential angst. Admit that life is hell, and be free

remember being depressed. It was a frightening state of mind that seemed to go on indefinitely. The very idea of waking up was riddled with dread. A state of internal turbulence, apprehension and negativity about the future propelled the total collapse of a positive and optimistic attitude. I felt like my mind suddenly became sick and twisted. I didn’t recognise my new self, and wondered what had happened to the cheerful person I used to be.

The reason for my depression was a breakup. But what led to depression was not so much the reaction to our split, but the realisation that the one you believed loved you, who was closest to you and promised to be with you forever, had turned out to be someone else, a stranger indifferent to your pain. I discovered that this loving person was an illusion. The past became meaningless, and the future ceased to exist. The world itself wasn’t credible any more.

In that state of depression, I found the attitude of others changed dramatically. Depression is not particularly tolerated in society, and I realised that those around me were of two persuasions. One group of people wanted to fix me, telling me to pull myself together or recommending professional help. The other group tended to shun me like a leper. In hindsight, I understand this reaction: after all, I had become cynical, agnostic and pessimistic, and I hadn’t bothered to be polite.

On the other hand, I developed a deeper understanding of the genuine suffering of others. In my depression, I learned about the dark side of the world, about which I knew little before. I could no longer ignore suffering and delusion, opening a new window on reality that was unpleasant indeed. My experience is not unique, but it was in some sense heightened because, in addition to being a regular human encountering a pathetic breakup, I’m also a philosopher. As a philosopher, I know that what seems to be obvious is far from always so, and therefore requires rigorous critical analysis. So, in the wake of my experience, I was especially inclined to doubt the equation of positive moods with health, and of negative moods with distortion. Could it be that, in my depression, I was finally seeing the world as it was?

https://aeon.co/essays/the-voice-of-sadness-is-censored-as-sick-what-if-its-sane

The ledge is logical. Dammit.

Alex is the journalist that broke the volunteer script story. As an embed with the Warren campaign, he sees their operation and works with them.

What he's revealing here is a campaign just begging to be destroyed by Donald Trump.

The Warren camp is driven crazy by impersonal policy and voting record critiques on social media.

Like you see with Hugo, they are rage-consuming social media and giving each other brain disease to such an extent that they lost all sense of proportion and responded to a mild critique of voting coalition with a personal, public, and rancorous accusation of sexism.

All because they screamed at themselves about Twitter for months.

Not strategic thinking. Not planned. Just bitter reaction to imaginary online wars.

Now, to add fresh layers of web PTSD, you hire a bunch of Clinton 2016 veterans who hate Bernie. And then when Kamala dies you bring even more from her campaign.

Liz can start off sane, but if you surround yourself with insanity it's going to rub off.

Get a new team, Liz, shake the Clinton dead-enders off because they would rather go to war with Bernie and you lose than make peace with Bernie and you win.

And Trump is the God Emperor King of messy social media drama. He will have these clowns snorting lines at 3am so they can stay up and keep rage-Slacking and getting zero smart planning and strategizing done.

They were the hot hand for MONTHS and pissed it away. She should've cleaned house once she realized Q4 was going to be smaller than Q3.

Still time, grandma. Still time.

17 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Not helpful in ousting Trump. 

This can get fucked.  Bernie has done more for popularizing just causes like universal healthcare and public college than anyone in my lifetime and I thank him for that but I still think he would be a terrible president.  The best trick he pulled was convincing people he’s a consistent revolutionary while spending a lifetime in Congress doing not revolutionary things. Bernie is a great advocate but a terrible administrator.  His time has passed, his own heart is telling him this but he’s going to fight like hell to be president and then let all his supporters down unless they rally at Joe Manchin’s house because he sucks at building coalitions with lawmakers.  This is my honest opinion and why I support Warren over him. 

I’ll still vote for Bernie if I have to but I’m not going hold my tongue anymore. 

20 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This can get fucked.  Bernie has done more for popularizing just causes like universal healthcare and public college than anyone in my lifetime and I thank him for that but I still think he would be a terrible president.  The best trick he pulled was convincing people he’s a consistent revolutionary while spending a lifetime in Congress doing not revolutionary things. Bernie is a great advocate but a terrible administrator.  His time has passed, his own heart is telling him this but he’s going to fight like hell to be president and then let all his supporters down unless they rally at Joe Manchin’s house because he sucks at building coalitions with lawmakers.  This is my honest opinion and why I support Warren over him. 

I’ll still vote for Bernie if I have to but I’m not going hold my tongue anymore. 

This is my concern. Bernie would be Carter 2.0. 

• Like 1

Carter was the first neoliberal President. That is why he failed. He lost the social consciousness of the country - and, in turn, lost the progressives of the FDR/JFK eras.

https://www.salon.com/2011/02/08/lind_reaganism_carter/

The hundredth anniversary of Ronald Reagan's birth has produced disagreement over his policies among conservatives and liberals, but agreement on one point: Reagan's presidency marked the end of one era in American politics and the beginning of a new one. An epochal shift indeed took place -- but it happened in 1976, not 1980. The Age of Reagan should be called the Age of Carter, in politics and policy alike.

In politics, both Carter and Reagan sought to exploit the "white backlash" in the aftermath of the civil rights revolution that had led many white Southerners and white Northern "ethnics" to defect from the Democrats to support third-party populist candidate George Wallace. Reagan did so by beginning his general election campaign in 1980 in Neshoba County, Miss., where white supremacists had recently fire-bombed a black church and had earlier murdered three Northern civil rights activists, Andrew Goodman, Michael Schwerner, and James Chaney. In a thinly disguised appeal to white Southern racism, Reagan declared, "I believe in states' rights."

Jimmy Carter used similar coded language in fishing for votes from white ethnics in the North who objected to blacks moving into their neighborhoods. In an interview with the New York Daily News in April 1976, Carter said: "I see nothing wrong with ethnic purity being maintained. I would not force a racial integration of a neighborhood by government action." A few days later, questioned about this remark, Carter elaborated: "What I say is that the government ought not to take as a major purpose the intrusion of alien groups into a neighborhood simply to establish their intrusion." Jesse Jackson called this "a throwback to Hitlerian racism." Carter not only won a majority of the Southern vote but also did well among white ethnics. (The quotes are from Steven F. Hayward's "The Real Jimmy Carter.")

The opportunistic race-baiting of Reagan and Carter was similar to that of the assassinated liberal icon Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who in a May 31, 1968, California television debate with Eugene McCarthy, his rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, said in response to McCarthy's support for public housing: "You say you are going to take ten thousand black people and move them into Orange County? It is just going to be catastrophic."

In foreign policy, Carter attacked the Nixon-Ford administration from the right, in the same way that John F. Kennedy in 1960 had accused Eisenhower and Nixon of being soft on the Soviets. Like Reagan, Carter rejected the coldblooded realpolitik of Nixon and Kissinger and insisted that foreign policy had to be based on the promotion of human rights and democracy. Many hawkish neoconservative Democrats hoped that Carter would be their standard-bearer. When President Gerald Ford asserted that Yugoslavia, Romania and Poland were not "dominated" by the Soviet Union in a presidential debate, Carter used Ford's statement to portray himself as the anti-Soviet hard-liner in the presidential race.

It was Carter, not Reagan, who brought the religious right into national politics. Even though they turned against him later, Carter won the Southern evangelical vote in 1976 by advertising himself as a born-again Christian. Like Reagan later, Carter, the folksy farmer and veteran from Plains, Ga., appealed to the nostalgia of white Americans in the 1970s for a simpler, more rural, more traditional society.

Carter, not Reagan, pioneered the role of the fiscally conservative governor who runs against the mess in Washington, promising to shrink the bureaucracy and balance the budget. Early in his administration, Carter was praised by some on the right for his economic conservatism. Ronald Reagan even wrote a newspaper column titled "Give Carter a Chance." The most conservative Democrat in the White House since Grover Cleveland, Carter fought most of his battles with Democratic liberals, not Republican conservatives.

Carter, not Reagan, presided over the dismantling of the New Deal regulatory system in airlines, railroads and trucking. Intended to reduce inflation by reducing the costs of essential infrastructure to business, Carter's market-oriented reforms have backfired, producing constant bankruptcies and predatory hub-and-spoke monopolies in the airline industry, an oligopolistic private railroad industry that has abandoned passenger rail for freight, and underpaid, overworked truckers. . . .

Sanders is no Carter.

38 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Warren will lose in a war with Sanders. She may take Sanders down with her as she circles the drain. Who does that benefit?

Young Women Actually Make Up More of Bernie's Base Than Men Do

Polling shows the 2020 candidate’s supporters aren’t just “Bernie Bros.”

New findings from The Economist show that women under 45 make up a larger share of Bernie Sanders’ base than do men in their same age group, contradicting a popular narrative that says the 2020 Democratic candidate's supporters are overwhelmingly white and male, to the virtual exclusion of other groups. 

This narrative often hinges on the “Bernie Bro,” a term Atlantic writer Robinson Meyer coined during the 2016 election to describe a type of mansplaining internet harasser that some came to see as representative of all Sanders voters. Bernie Bros were a “mob” flooding the Twitter mentions of Hillary Clinton supporters; they were “sexist,” even “enthusiastically” so; and they were loud and aggressive when expressing their uncompromising support for their candidate.

Polling has continually proven that Sanders’ base is much more diverse than the figure of the Bernie Bro would suggest: An analysis of polling between November 2018 and March 2019 found both that Sanders was more popular among people of color than among white people, and that women supported Sanders just as much as men did, “if not more,” according to Vox. Earlier this month, a Univision Noticias poll found Sanders was the candidate Latino voters favored most after current Democratic frontrunner Joe Biden. And The Economist’s latest numbers show Sanders in the number-two spot behind Biden with Hispanic and Black voters. 

Yet the Bernie Bro concept continues to endure, much to the chagrin of Sanders’ women supporters, who say it ignores a significant portion of the Vermont senator’s base.

“It’s really frustrating to see that the idea of the ‘Bernie Bro’ is still so pervasive,” said 24-year-old Megan Magray, a reproductive health advocate. She also serves as a co-coordinator for NYC-DSA’s Brooklyn electoral communications committee. “It’s insulting to see women, women of color, and people of color being erased from his campaign because they’re really integral to it.”

But quibbles over progressive bonafides aside, these women object to the underlying principle that gender should play such a prominent role in deciding who to vote for. When Sanders’ women supporters encounter the belief that they should vote for a woman candidate because they themselves are women, feelings of resentment arise.

“People cling to the idea that if we have a woman in power she’ll enact more feminist policies,” Arievitch said. “There are so many of Bernie’s plans that you would have to totally ignore to say he wouldn’t benefit women or women of color or working-class people. What is your definition of feminism if it’s what the person’s identity is who’s enacting the policies that matters most?”

Magray is also skeptical of the reasoning that a woman in the White House is an undeniable good for all women, and she rejects the notion that voting for a woman is an inherently feminist choice. Feminists who push these talking points are buying into an individualistic “girlboss mentality,” Magray said.

"There’s a strain of feminism that’s really focusing on empowering individual women to serve as inspiring figureheads,” Magray continued. “It’s not about lifting women out of poverty through socialism and anti-capitalist movements."

A significant share of Sanders supporters—Magray included—consider Warren their second choice, and if she wins the party’s nomination, would cast a ballot for her with little to no hesitation. But in the meantime, many of them will continue to be frustrated by the way Sanders’ supporters are portrayed, and the looming specter of the Bernie Bro.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/gyzjmb/bernie-bros-women-under-45-make-up-a-larger-share-of-bernie-sanders-base-than-men

The times they are a'changin.