Carnoustie - 2018 Open Championship

Wally Fairway

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Phil has 3 birdies thru his first 5 holes. 

Tiger is one under for the tourney. Swing looks effortless. 

I think all he lacks at this point is the confidence aspect. Can he putt without fear again? He’s gaining the trust with his swing, there’s no question about that. 

He's 42 with a DNA strand for a back.  He's good enough he might have one more major in him, certainly a win or two each year (depending on the field, like in lesser tourneys when it sucks), but it's clear by now that the younger generation is playing too good a golf game for him to compete regularly.

Just now, phdhorn said:

He's 42 with a DNA strand for a back.  He's good enough he might have one more major in him, certainly a win or two each year (depending on the field, like in lesser tourneys when it sucks), but it's clear by now that the younger generation is playing too good a golf game for him to compete regularly.

People are saying how well he is playing, and he's eight strokes behind the leader. Age catches up to every athlete.

I played a links style course, in northern Germany, and it was incredibly hard. I think I shot about a 125.

Oakmont is just up over the hill from me and I have some friends who belong there and if I asked I could play with them, but I suck so bad at golf that I don't think I would enjoy the torture. I'd more enjoy walking the course with some guys who were good and just watching them play, and adding a few smart-ass comments along the way.

20 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I think it is possible.  I don't think it is probable.

This. 

The field of quality players gets deeper every single year which makes it less likely for him to win one. Obviously still possible just less likely with each passing major. 

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I am in the camp that does not see Woods ever winning another major tournament.

I think he has a decent chance to win a Masters or British Open in the next 5 years if he stays healthy but 1 is the max.  

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

This is the most he's played in quite some time. The swing is good and he looks pain free, but i didn't have any expectations until next year. I've given up on him winning another major but he should win events on tour.

Lots of rounds that have that feel of "worst score he could have shot given how he played".

The main thing I think he is missing is the mental fortitude aspect needed to win a major. You basically have to be able to grind it out four days in a row making very few mistakes and putting pretty well while dealing with the Sunday pressure. That was the thing that really used to separate Tiger from everyone else. You would almost never see him making bogeys because he would always find a way to get that par and then birdie every par 5. I think the last 5-10 years took a toll on him mentally and I don't think he can just block every thing out and focus any better than any one else out there. Except for maybe Duval.

21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'd pay to watch him and jimenez hack it up out there together if they let them drink scotch and smoke stogies the entire round...

Count me in on this.  I'd pay very good money to watch this.  Hell, I'd rather watch this than some made for TV TW/Philly Mick $10M bullshit.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Duval WD's after an opening 80.  When was the last time he even made a cut.  Sad to see him hacking out there.

he only practices leading up to The Open, he's an announcer for The Golf Channel and doesn't play much tournament golf.

9 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Tiger doesn't have 95% of the field beat just by entering a tournament anymore, these young guys don't give a fuck.

Meh, let’s see what happens if he ever gets rolling again. There’s not a lot to fear at the moment. None of the young guys are “killers”. They’d probably be happier for him than most fans.

But golf is absolutely loaded with young talent and there’s only more coming. It’ll be extreme difficult for Tiger to win more than 1 or 2.

10 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Meh, let’s see what happens if he ever gets rolling again. There’s not a lot to fear at the moment. None of the young guys are “killers”. They’d probably be happier for him than most fans.

But golf is absolutely loaded with young talent and there’s only more coming. It’ll be extreme difficult for Tiger to win more than 1 or 2.

what do you think he's going to do, start hitting it 30 yards past everyone like he used to? That shit's never going to happen again.

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

He's gonna escape with a bogey.

I didn't see what hole he was on.  I saw an iron going way right.  Assumed it was a par 4.  Geez.  That was borderline shank territory.

well it was a long ass par 3 but damn.