All encompassing PAC 4 thread

Sbbruin

With PAC 12 media day yesterday, it finally feels like football is really almost here.  I thought it made sense to have a single ongoing Pac 12 thread, rather than a bunch of disjointed threads.  Hopefully this can sustain itself throughout the season.  We have enough representatives from various schools that can contribute their takes. 

Washington and SC seem to be the class of the conference.  UCLA is going to take a year, hopefully no more, to get its footing under Chip, plus the schedule is absolutely brutal.  Open with Cincy, which is a wildcard but we should win handily.  Then a trip to Norman, which could be ugly, and then home against a Fresno St team that was legit last year.  AZ with Rummy and Kahlil Tate could be the surprise team.  Both Stanford and Oregon look poised to bounce back.  Utah will be solid.  Cal, Colorado, Wazzu and hapless OSU should fill out the bottom of the conference.  And then there's Herm and the Devils.  That could be one of the more intriguing (and comical) storylines of the season.

Through merger or scheduling arrangement, there will never be any true rivals between the Pac and the XII.  None exist today, meaning none will emerge.  It's just not possible to create "new" rivalries.  Which is why it's such a travesty when true historic rivals are split (KU-MU, Pitt-WVU, UT-aggy, OU-Neby).  There could be fun matchups and meaningful games like UT or OU v USC, especially when both are highly ranked.  UO v OSU could be interesting high scoring games, some of which could impact rankings.  But for the most part, there isn't any cultural identity between the two.  The closest I've ever seen a "new rivalry" develop was Tech-OSU when games were scoring in the 50s and both were in the top 10 or on the cusp, but it never played out when Tech fired Leach.  I'd support a scheduling agreement between the conferences for fun matchups and better overall SOS, but it will never be more than that.  

• Like 3

You make valid points, but all of those options are better than the XII being parsed between the B1G & SEC, effectively ending even more regional rivalries...

I think if  there was a division setup as UCLA/ USC/ UA/ ASU/ TT/ UT/ OU/ OSU, there is room to grow new rivalries, while keeping most of the ol' Big8 rivals in the north division...

26 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

You make valid points, but all of those options are better than the XII being parsed between the B1G & SEC, effectively ending even more regional rivalries...

I think if  there was a division setup as UCLA/ USC/ UA/ ASU/ TT/ UT/ OU/ OSU, there is room to grow new rivalries, while keeping most of the ol' Big8 rivals in the north division...

Jesus Koppoe, at least keep all this shit to the realignment thread. You're getting a little intense, both on this board and the other one. 

• Like 2

On 7/26/2018 at 10:13 AM, Sbbruin said:

With PAC 12 media day yesterday, it finally feels like football is really almost here.  I thought it made sense to have a single ongoing Pac 12 thread, rather than a bunch of disjointed threads.  Hopefully this can sustain itself throughout the season.  We have enough representatives from various schools that can contribute their takes. 

Washington and SC seem to be the class of the conference.  UCLA is going to take a year, hopefully no more, to get its footing under Chip, plus the schedule is absolutely brutal.  Open with Cincy, which is a wildcard but we should win handily.  Then a trip to Norman, which could be ugly, and then home against a Fresno St team that was legit last year.  AZ with Rummy and Kahlil Tate could be the surprise team.  Both Stanford and Oregon look poised to bounce back.  Utah will be solid.  Cal, Colorado, Wazzu and hapless OSU should fill out the bottom of the conference.  And then there's Herm and the Devils.  That could be one of the more intriguing (and comical) storylines of the season.

I think Colorado will be better than expected, but that still means around 7-5, maybe 8-4 if they have a great year. 

Arizona will be the wildcard, as you say. Depth is shallow enough that they could always crash; stay healthy and get a few good bounces and who know what their ceiling is. 

Really intrigued to watch UCLA this year. 

I think SC and UW are definitely tops in the conference, but don't know who's going to pull away with it. Slight edge UW. 

Cal will be better after going 5-7 with several close losses. Look for them to return to a bowl, possibly hit 7-5. 

If SC slips up at all, I like Utah or Zona to take the south. Think ASU will be a shitshow. Wazzu will be down. OSU, bad as always. 

For the sake of making allegiances known: my rooting interests in college sports are generally 1. Colorado (M.S., childhood team), 2. Baylor (B.S.), 3. Cal (PhD). Thus I may be slightly biased in my picking CU to improve a good deal. But hey, Phil Steele picks CU as #4 most improved team (and has Cal on that list as well).

12 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Jesus Koppoe, at least keep all this shit to the realignment thread. You're getting a little intense, both on this board and the other one. 

I didn't bring up the subject on this thread, just responding, if that's allowed...

10 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I didn't bring up the subject on this thread, just responding, if that's allowed...

You began it by talking about rivalries between the two conferences. I don't mind you as a poster, but jesus man, cool it a bit. If you want to talk all about your love for the PAC taking on Big XII teams/ merging conferences, whatever, just keep it to the one thread. It's getting really old.

3 minutes ago, LTbear said:

You began it by talking about rivalries between the two conferences. I don't mind you as a poster, but jesus man, cool it a bit. If you want to talk all about your love for the PAC taking on Big XII teams/ merging conferences, whatever, just keep it to the one thread. It's getting really old.

Initially speaking on a potential rivalry is different than speaking on a potential merger...

On another note the PAC 12 is looking to post a better non conference record than last season...

Ranking the Pac-12's Toughest Non-Conference College Football ...

May 8, 2018 - Much of the Pac-12 plays 10 power-conference games as a result of the nine-game league slate, but many of the best non-conference games ...

Of course, that would include USC at Texas & UCLA at Oklahoma...

Dennis Dodd coming off like an assclown for ripping Bryce Love for going to summer classes instead of P12 Media Day.

"Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott had to know on some level this was a bad look—his league's best player not showing for the conference's football rollout."

"But his absence does set a dangerous precedent. This is going to give every star player an excuse to Skype in."

"Let's just say Stanford forfeited a bit of a leverage to protest if Love doesn't win the Heisman. Five different times Cardinal players have finished second in Heisman voting since 2009."

Uh, pretty idiotic.  Kid should be commended.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2018/07/27/stanford-bryce-love-ripped-skipping-media-day-to-attend-class?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=sportsillustrated&xid=socialflow_facebook_si&utm_medium=social

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Dennis Dodd coming off like an assclown for ripping Bryce Love for going to summer classes instead of P12 Media Day.

Uh, pretty idiotic.  Kid should be commended.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2018/07/27/stanford-bryce-love-ripped-skipping-media-day-to-attend-class?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=sportsillustrated&xid=socialflow_facebook_si&utm_medium=social

Dennis Dodd sounds like he needs to start covering the SEC exclusively.  This attitude fits in perfectly in that conference.

• Like 2

Stanford is, as usual, solid. Glad UW gets them at home this year.

While the Huskies return a lot and should be quite good again this season, the receiver corps is untested and there are some questions with the defensive backfield. 

One thing about the 2018 Huskies that is mostly overlooked is an unfavorable schedule - not only do they have only 6 home games (yes, the UW gave up a home game for that "neutral site" game against Auburn in the Seattle suburb of Atlanta), this is a season in which 5 of the 9 conference games are road games, including both rivals WSU and Oregon.

That said, can't wait for the season to get underway!

Edited by flatdawgs

this is how I see the PAC 12 ending 2018

UO 10-2 3-0 7-2 losses to Washington, Arizona
UW 9-3 2-1 7-2 losses to Auburn, Utah, UCLA
Stanford 7-5 1-2 6-3 losses to SDSU, ND, UW, UO, USC
WSU 4-8 2-1 2-7 losses to Wyoming, USC, Utah, Oregon, CU, Stanford, AU, UW
Cal 4-8 2-1 2-7 losses to NC/BYU (lose one of the 2), UO, AU, UCLA, CU, UW, USC, Stanford
Oregon State 1-11 1-2 losses to tOSU, Nevada, 0-9 lose to errbodie in conference

AU 10-2 3-0 8-2 lose to UCLA in a major upset and Oregon
Utah 9-3 3-0 6-3 losses to Stanford, AU, Oregon
UCLA 8-4 2-1 6-3 losses to OU, Utah, Stamford, Oregon
USC 6-6 1-2 5-4 losses to Texas, ND, Stamford, AU, Utah, UCLA
CU 4-8 1-2 3-6 losses to CSU, Nebraska, UCLA, ASU, USC, UW, AU, Utah
ASU 3-9 1-2 2-7 losses to MSU, SDSU, UW, Stanford, USC, Utah, UCLA, Oregon, AU

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

aggy would lose their fucking minds

yea, but they will get over it because of already killing themselves after jumbo goes 7-6 at best and possibly 6-7

AU has a really nice schedule with BYU, Houston and Southern Utah and they should win all 3 even though they lost to Houston last year in a close one I think the UH administration knew they were going to ditch the UTSA game no matter what (even before they told UTSA) and and told Major and the team that and to go ahead and focus on AU so there was about 5 extra days of AU preparation

then AU has Oregon State (road) so that is a win then a USC (home) team that may well already have two losses to UT and Stanford then another pretty much sure win Cal (home) then Utah which I think they can put some extra time in for then UCLA catches them off guard and Rumlin has to face a decent coach then Oregon that I think will catch them off guard then easy street with Colorado, WSU and ASU with two of the three at home and WSU hardly having a home field advantage and a team that will have quit and a coach going insane

hell even if you give them a loss for USC and Utah that is still 8-4 and aggy can at least hang their head on "same old Rumlin" while talking about the major upside of jumbo after he cleans house (never mind it will be some of his own recruits getting cleaned out with arrest issues)

Oregon is actually 7-2 in conference in your scenario, meaning UW wins the North on head-to-head. I can live with that. I can also see your outcome for UW, although I'll be in Atlanta the first Saturday in September anyway.

Oh, and Arizona is UA... this isn't the Big 8 (NU, CU, KU, MU, OU - WTF? Never figured that out. Sounds aggy).

3 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

this is how I see the PAC 12 ending 2018

UO 10-2 3-1 8-1 losses to Washington, Arizona
UW 9-3 2-1 7-2 losses to Auburn, Utah, UCLA
Stanford 7-5 1-2 6-3 losses to SDSU, ND, UW, UO, USC
WSU 4-8 2-1 2-7 losses to Wyoming, USC, Utah, Oregon, CU, Stanford, AU, UW
Cal 4-8 2-1 2-7 losses to NC/BYU (lose one of the 2), UO, AU, UCLA, CU, UW, USC, Stanford
Oregon State 1-11 1-2 losses to tOSU, Nevada, 0-9 lose to errbodie in conference

AU 10-2 3-0 8-2 lose to UCLA in a major upset and Oregon
Utah 9-3 3-0 6-3 losses to Stanford, AU, Oregon
UCLA 8-4 2-1 6-3 losses to OU, Utah, Stamford, Oregon
USC 6-6 1-2 5-4 losses to Texas, ND, Stamford, AU, Utah, UCLA
CU 4-8 1-2 3-6 losses to CSU, Nebraska, UCLA, ASU, USC, UW, AU, Utah
ASU 3-9 1-2 2-7 losses to MSU, SDSU, UW, Stanford, USC, Utah, UCLA, Oregon, AU

I need someone to point me to a good sports betting site. No way CU finishes 4-8 this year. 

1 hour ago, flatdawgs said:

Oregon is actually 7-2 in conference in your scenario, meaning UW wins the North on head-to-head. I can live with that. I can also see your outcome for UW, although I'll be in Atlanta the first Saturday in September anyway.

Oh, and Arizona is UA... this isn't the Big 8 (NU, CU, KU, MU, OU - WTF? Never figured that out. Sounds aggy).

corrected thanks

22 hours ago, LTbear said:

I need someone to point me to a good sports betting site. No way CU finishes 4-8 this year. 

well looking at their records under mac

4-8

2-10

4-9

10-4

5-7

I would say the odds favor 4 wins (maybe 5) much more than they favor 6+ wins

even in that 10-4 season they played some terrible teams in the PAC 12 and their "big wins" were Stanford 10-3 and WSU coached by mike the pirate that routinely loses to CU and that routinely loses to teams that can control the ball with the run.....and that generally has at least one brain fart game every season if not two

the CU wins that year were CSU 7-6, D1-AA Idaho State, Oregon 4-8, Oregon State 4-8, ASU 5-7, Stanford 10-3, UCLA 4-8, AU 3-9, WSU 8-5 (with a loss to a D1-AA team), Utah 9-4

so even Stanford, WSU and Utah were getting a lot of their wins against a lot of other shitty Pac 12 teams in a really bad year for the Pac 12....and CU got thumped by the fighting mullets of OkState in the Alamo Bowl Presented By Sally Brown's Cookies

53 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

well looking at their records under mac

4-8

2-10

4-9

10-4

5-7

I would say the odds favor 4 wins (maybe 5) much more than they favor 6+ wins

even in that 10-4 season they played some terrible teams in the PAC 12 and their "big wins" were Stanford 10-3 and WSU coached by mike the pirate that routinely loses to CU and that routinely loses to teams that can control the ball with the run.....and that generally has at least one brain fart game every season if not two

the CU wins that year were CSU 7-6, D1-AA Idaho State, Oregon 4-8, Oregon State 4-8, ASU 5-7, Stanford 10-3, UCLA 4-8, AU 3-9, WSU 8-5 (with a loss to a D1-AA team), Utah 9-4

so even Stanford, WSU and Utah were getting a lot of their wins against a lot of other shitty Pac 12 teams in a really bad year for the Pac 12....and CU got thumped by the fighting mullets of OkState in the Alamo Bowl Presented By Sally Brown's Cookies

I’m not sure if maybe you’re writing all this out for the benefit of other people or something, but I’m well aware of exactly what CU has done in every game of Mac’s tenure. Happy to place some bets here if you’re game. CU will win more than 4 this year.

53 minutes ago, LTbear said:

I’m not sure if maybe you’re writing all this out for the benefit of other people or something, but I’m well aware of exactly what CU has done in every game of Mac’s tenure. Happy to place some bets here if you’re game. CU will win more than 4 this year.

there are plenty of places where you can place money on how you feel they will do this year

I don't think picking them to win one less than they have averaged over the last 5 years is a real stretch, but they could have a great first game against CSU (that will be coming off a probable home win over Hawaii) or they could pick up a win against one of the multitude of new head coaches or second year coaches in the PAC 12 and get  to 5 or even 6 wins, but that is hardly an achievement

I think some of the new head coaches will simply have their teams more excited to go play a winnable game and or CSU will benefit from having played a home game already before facing CU, but who knows

the UCLA game will probably be a real telltale game for them if they can win it maybe they can have a decent season if they lose it I think they can still beat ASU, but then lose two in a row to USC and UW and it goes down hill from there with only Oregon State being a probably win and a pirate mike team that has quit on the pirate

On 7/30/2018 at 2:00 PM, miguelito said:

Bow down to Washington, bitches!

No, more like this:

giphy.gif

On another note, here are a few clips of cornerback (Marshall), that UT, has to contain this fall, & I think Beck will put up a great offensive scheme..!

Edited by kopp0e

16 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm very interested to see if  Chip can get some production out of Soso. He hasn't done much so far. 

I'm not holding out hope.  OL is suspect- again- and Soso just doesn't have the speed.  We've got a couple other backs who may slot ahead of him.  I'd like to see him catch passes either out of the backfield or split out wide.  

Our strengths are go to be at WR/TE, and most of the D.  Fall camp starting now and we have no QB.  UM grad transfer Wilton Speight looks to be the likely candidate, but Devon Modster and true FR Dorian Thompson-Robinson will both push for it.  DTR is likely the heir apparent.

9 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

there are plenty of places where you can place money on how you feel they will do this year

I don't think picking them to win one less than they have averaged over the last 5 years is a real stretch, but they could have a great first game against CSU (that will be coming off a probable home win over Hawaii) or they could pick up a win against one of the multitude of new head coaches or second year coaches in the PAC 12 and get  to 5 or even 6 wins, but that is hardly an achievement

I think some of the new head coaches will simply have their teams more excited to go play a winnable game and or CSU will benefit from having played a home game already before facing CU, but who knows

the UCLA game will probably be a real telltale game for them if they can win it maybe they can have a decent season if they lose it I think they can still beat ASU, but then lose two in a row to USC and UW and it goes down hill from there with only Oregon State being a probably win and a pirate mike team that has quit on the pirate

The first two years aren't all that meaningful, considering the program was in its lowest point in history. Average wins over the past two years are 7.5. Or over 3, it's 6. The UCLA game is early enough that Chip might not have it all running just yet, which is good (and CU lost by one score last year). CSU should be a win, considering how much they lost (and their extra game didn't help them last year, when they had a more talented and more senior team). OSU is OSU. UNH will be a win. WSU will be down. Cal is a nice toss-up. Who knows with ASU (I suspect they'll have problems) or UA (could be mediocre or could be amazing behind Tate, but CU lost by one score to them last year). Utah is at home, though they should be damn good. USC is a loss. UW is a loss. Nebraska will be very interesting. I see anything from 5 - 8 wins in there. Will be fun.

My other PAC team, Cal, will also be interesting to watch. Wilcox did an impressive job making the defense competitive in year one. 5-7 last year with 3 one-score losses. Cal should win all the non-con, seeing as the toughest team, UNC, is at home and may have some players withheld. BYU has been awful lately and Idaho State... well. OSU is again OSU. UCLA and the Big Game - both one-score losses last year, are at home for the Bears. UW and USC are losses again. UO is likely a loss. WSU and UA I can only call toss-ups; Cal lost by one score to UA last year and thoroughly bitch-slapped WSU. I see anywhere from 4 wins if everything goes wrong to 8 if all goes well. 

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

you mean The University of Deseret, whose first Board of Regents was organized by.... wait for it.... Briggy!

... and founded in 1850 by the legislature of The State of Deseret whose leader was.... wait for it.... Briggy!

Yes!!!  FUCK'EM.

33 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I'm not holding out hope.  OL is suspect- again- and Soso just doesn't have the speed.  We've got a couple other backs who may slot ahead of him.  I'd like to see him catch passes either out of the backfield or split out wide.  

Our strengths are go to be at WR/TE, and most of the D.  Fall camp starting now and we have no QB.  UM grad transfer Wilton Speight looks to be the likely candidate, but Devon Modster and true FR Dorian Thompson-Robinson will both push for it.  DTR is likely the heir apparent.

I'm really interested to see what UCLA does this year. As a CU and Cal fan I have no love for UCLA whatsoever, but Chip being in the PAC should be fun. Already looking forward to when UCLA plays UO. 

52 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

soso seems to be a bit of a dodo as well and that does not help things

37 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

My expectations are low in yr 1 of the Kelly regime.  But they skyrocket from there.

Chip is going to do very well at UCLA, I could see him pushing for the pushing USC and UW for the conference title as early as next season.  

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

My expectations are low in yr 1 of the Kelly regime.  But they skyrocket from there.

don't get too excited if Chipper does well at the west coast A&M of football you can count on Brazos River A&M hiring Chipper away for $12 million a year guaranteed for 12 years after jumbo fails in 3 years

13 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

you mean The University of Deseret, whose first Board of Regents was organized by.... wait for it.... Briggy!

... and founded in 1850 by the legislature of The State of Deseret whose leader was.... wait for it.... Briggy!

Window cougars find us?

• blacklab changed the title to All encompassing PAC 4 thread