bigup2dahorns

Mensa offense vs Big 12 defenses

It appears that Herman and the staff are deliberately limiting the potential of the offense in the name of protecting Sam Ehlinger.  The box score vs Oklahoma State shows Sam with 10 carries but only 4 of those were designed as QB runs or potential runs.  The others were all scrambles from the pocket.  During the first drive Sam ran QB counter.  He later ran a QB draw and one zone read play.  Lastly was the bootleg keeper for the final 1st down that allowed Texas to kill the clock.

I think the coaches are right to protect Sam since he is the heart of the offense.  I'd still like to see him used as a running threat early in the game.  At least keep the ball in his hands longer at times to force the DBs to turn and run downfield instead of coming up in run support immediately when they see the ball handed off.  By turning almost exclusively to a conventional running game, Texas loses the extra blocker and allows the safeties to have an easier read and less conflict between coverage responsibilities and run support.

I REALLY hope Mensa makes Sam more of a running threat against OU.  Grinch likes to stem, stunt and slant his front which often leaves seams to be exploited by the running game with quick inside handoffs.  This can be compounded by the base quarters coverage scheme they employ.  It's tough enough to get good run fits with it under ideal conditions because 4 DBs have deep coverage responsibilities.  Get them to turn and run with the WRs and there will be very little support at the 2nd level and almost nothing behind the LBs.

@sushihorn  Good stuff!!

Curious what a play chart study might show about Herman's playcalling tendencies??  Not having Collin Johnson, and protecting Ehlinger by not running him certainly limited the play calling vs Okie Lite.

Just seems like a lot of plays were not in the gameplan vs Okie Lite.  Not many passes to the RBs and TEs.  Not many WR screens.  Not sure why Eagles didn't get more passes directed his way.  Why wasn't Jake on the field more??  It certainly feels like Herman used a much smaller playbook for Okie Lite.  Not a lot of variety in the plays used during the 4th quarter.  

Guessing that Herman is probably holding back part of his offense for blOU.  🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

@sushihorn  Good stuff!!

Curious what a play chart study might show about Herman's playcalling tendencies??  Not having Collin Johnson, and protecting Ehlinger by not running him certainly limited the play calling vs Okie Lite.

Just seems like a lot of plays were not in the gameplan vs Okie Lite.  Not many passes to the RBs and TEs.  Not many WR screens.  Not sure why Eagles didn't get more passes directed his way.  Why wasn't Jake on the field more??  It certainly feels like Herman used a much smaller playbook for Okie Lite.  Not a lot of variety in the plays used during the 4th quarter.  

Guessing that Herman is probably holding back part of his offense for blOU.  🤘

Every must-have 3rd down was a screen to Duv.

I agree Jake should be out there. Honestly I they should be running 4 WRs. 

Also John Burt looked like he hit a growth spurt. He also tries when blocking, I think he should get the most over Epps until he can play more physical.

42 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Every must-have 3rd down was a screen to Duv.

I agree Jake should be out there. Honestly I they should be running 4 WRs. 

Also John Burt looked like he hit a growth spurt. He also tries when blocking, I think he should get the most over Epps until he can play more physical.

Yeah, I would love to see Burt run a few more verticals just to wear out the defense...  Epps should just be used situationally since he shys away from contact.

Edited by LTtxfan

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, I would love to see Burt run a few more verticals just to wear out the defense...  Epps should just be used situationally since he shys away from contact.

I honestly dont know of any situation outside the death of every other receiver and running back (and I guess back up qb) on the roster that calls for Epps. He is useless out there, doesnt do anything well, and combines that with a complete lack of effort. He is just not ready to be a football player, at least not yet. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Thx to La @Machinator for finding this...

Offensive Points Per Drive (vs FBS opp, no garbage time) (min 3 FBS opp)

1. Alabama.. 4.6

2. LSU.. 4.6

3. Wisconsin.. 4.1

4. Ohio St.. 4.0

5. Wash St.. 3.9

6. Texas.. 3.7

7. Washington.. 3.6

8. Georgia.. 3.5

9. Okla St.. 3.3

10. Clemson.. 3.2 (Via  @bcfremeau ) Garbage Time

9:29 AM · Sep 24, 2019·TweetDeck

5 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

Here’s a controversial take:

Bryan Harsin is jealous of Mensa’s offensive efficiency and trick play execution.

/homer 

I bet the only thing he covets is our personnel. 

Time for Mensa to step up!!

Get more playmakers on the field.  The limited use of Jake Smith in blOU game was almost criminal.  For a few plays Mensa, please move Devin back to X and play Jake at slot.  Let's start seeing more Marcus Washington or Woodard on the field. Play Wiley more downs to help the Damn run game -- Brewer can't block for shit!!

Run John Burt on more verticals to expand the Damn field.  Don't play Epps except for jumpball goal line situations.  Gameplan more short passes to RBs and TEs to reduce hits on Sam.  C'mon fucking Meh and Meekins, get better blocking from the Damn WRs so Duvernay or Jake can bust some big plays in WR screens!!

Let's be more aggressive on offense, rotate more players in,  and see some Damn creativity on offense!!  Flip the Damn script...

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Let's be more aggressive on offense, rotate more players in,  and see some Damn creativity on offense!!  Flip the Damn script...

Touchdown-Play.gif

Edited by TreatyOak

On 6/2/2019 at 5:02 AM, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I know Herman's philosophy is that it doesn't matter if the win is by 1 or 100, it's still a win. With that being said, I really hope he decides to let the team step on everyone's throat and not go conservative like he has in his first two years once leading late.

Trintellix.jpg

If below is accurate, it's disturbing.... WTF !!

Thanks to @bschoolprof for this info:

bschoolprof:  "There’s been lots of talk on pay sites about how predictable our offense is and how they tip run vs pass by alignment. OB asked some “sources” inside the program about this and below was the response. It’s probably 995 clickbait, but smacks so much of Herman’s arrogance to maybe be true...

Orangebloods:  Occasionally, the demand for answers from our community is so overwhelming, hard questions need to be asked.  Alex Dunlap recently analyzed the Longhorn offense, and came to the conclusion that Texas was tipping its plays. It was a fascinating analysis by Dunlap. It was one of Dunlap’s most enlightening Deep Digs.  Initially, I was content with Dunlap’s insight. However, Longhorn fans wanted feedback from folks inside the building. After declining to ask questions about another reporter’s research, which can create a slippery slope if you want to challenge Texas football coach Tom Herman’s play-calling at a press conference without having your ducks in a row for his inevitable rebuttal, I eventually agreed with the masses. Somebody had to do some digging, and I had to pick the brains of multiple sources this week.   As a warning, some of you may not like what I uncovered, and my only request is you keep the profanity to a minimum.  If you missed Dunlap’s initial article, now would be a great time for a review. 

“There were 73 plays versus TCU where a running back was lined up somewhere in the backfield alongside Ehlinger. On 31 of those plays, the running back was clearly lined up "behind" him, meaning either in pistol, or in a fashion to where, if looking from the sideline directly down the yard marker, one player would not block your view of the other. If it would, that was considered an "even" or staggered alignment. All things very easy for the eyeballs to gauge from the defensive side of the football, thanks to the miracles of human depth perception and natural visual acuity. There were 42 snaps where the running back was lined up alongside Ehlinger, or just ever-so-slightly staggered, as described above.

“Of the 31 times the running back was lined up clearly behind Ehlinger, Texas ran the football 23 times, or 74% of the time.  “Of the 42 times the running back lined up at an equivalent or slightly staggered depth to Ehlinger, Texas dropped back to throw the football in all but one of those instances where Roschon Johnson was handed the football coming directly across Ehlinger's body on a relatively rare outside-zone call.  “For Patterson and his defense's sake, they could basically depend on this pre-snap, run-versus-pass read like clockwork.”

I wanted to get the general opinions of Dunlap’s assessment, and if there was any concern about the Texas offense tipping its plays. As expected, I was questioned about Dunlap’s football background. Once we got past that part of the conversations, I received a very interesting explanation.   From what I was told, a member of Herman’s support staff must self-scout the Longhorns and look for tendencies every week. That person reviews the game film, without the benefit of knowing what plays are being called, and he charts the propensities from each game.  According to one source, there are tendencies in a shotgun offense. Those tendencies are not limited to depth and width of a running back, but where he aligns in relation to the tight end (opposite and same side). The person in charge of that self-scouting aspect writes down everything he sees and presents his findings to the football staff on Mondays. 

Dunlap said, “of the 31 times the running back was lined up clearly behind Ehlinger, Texas ran the football 23 times, or 74% of the time.”  That number is not high enough to create too many concerns behind closed doors.  I was told the Longhorn staff only worries about that number when it approaches at least 90 percent. When that number is somewhere between 90 and 95 percent, they will put in a few new wrinkles on offense to decrease that number. 

The people I spoke to do not believe opposing teams will game-plan anything off a 70 percent predictability number. As it was explained to me, an opposing team might have an idea what is coming seven out of 10 times. However, that team is not willing to risk giving up a touchdown on the other three plays when the unexpected occurs.  In addition, I learned there is pride in the building about being able to impose their will.  
One source noted that Texas’ offense is ranked fourth in the country with a 53.7 percent passing completion rate.  “You know what is?” the source said. “It is because Tom’s offense knows how to impose their f-ing will on other teams. That’s why. They do the same thing over and over again on third-down. Why? Because it works.”

Dunlap’s original researching was definitely enlightening.  Nevertheless, you also know why nobody associated with the program is concerned about tipping plays. 

I am not concerned much about tipping plays, either. If you're not going to execute well, it doesn't really matter what the defense knows or doesn't know.

The problem on offense isn't that they are clueless schematically; it's that they are just plain clueless about life in general. When you're not wearing pants, a boutonniere looks pretty silly.

I am not concerned much about tipping plays, either. If you're not going to execute well, it doesn't really matter what the defense knows or doesn't know.
The problem on offense isn't that they are clueless schematically; it's that they are just plain clueless about life in general. When you're not wearing pants, a boutonniere looks pretty silly.

I've never seen the word "boutonniere" written. I've heard it countless times, but this is the first time I've read it.

Today is a good day.