Game 1: Eastern Illinois at Texas, 7 PM, LHN

Machinator

looking forward to a more method and less madness on offense... more quick passes and less dribble out 1/2 the shot clock outside the 3 point line... I am cautiously optimistic about our athleticism and feel much better this year than prior years will a calm and savvy PG running the show.

If what I have read is correct, we actually have 3 PGs this year, compared to one (a freshman) last year and zero the year before.  I also like the fact that some of the wings like Hepa are supposed to be plus shooters.  There are a lot of reasons to be interested in this team.  I hope that Shaka has them coached up.

This is my one big worry about expectations for this season: even I have Texas at 22 wins this season, a mark we haven't hit since 2014. I don't think super highly of Shaka (obviously), so expectations are high. However, the one thing that i could see dooming Texas to another disappointing season (and i'm being serious here, so please don't think this is a joke or something) is more athletes than hoopers. coleman is a hooper; jones is a hooper; i believe ramey and long and hepa might be hoopers- just straight basketball players, guys who've been eating and sleeping basketball their entire lives, as opposed to guys like Sims, Hayes, or Roach, who are natural athletes who ended up playing basketball. I mean Hayes didn't even start playing j til he was a teenager, and Sims is still lacking for basketball skill. DO is a wildcard here. DO vs Duke last year? Hooper. DO the rest of the year? NWGS turnover machine with moobs. If he could recapture some of that Duke game magic that would be huge.

All if that is to say that despite being deep, and super athletic, and fairly talented, we don't have an abundance of born and bred basketball players- true PG's, pure shooters, savvy ball handlers, post guys with an array of low post moves, etc. I know that optimism is high, and this *should* be Shaka's best team, but if our coaching is subpar again then i don't know that we have the straight hoopers to get us out of trouble in a league like the Big XII. Just wanted to get that final caveat out before the season starts. Hope i'm totally wrong about this. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Long shoots a three from the opposite corner and DO runs himself under the basket in an attempt to get the rebound. Predictably the ball bounced off the rim and right to the spot gbat DO had just vacated as he ran himself under the hoop. Jesus that's bad from a senior starter who could lead the team in minutes. 

Edited by Goo Punch