Game 1: Eastern Illinois at Texas, 7 PM, LHN

Machinator

15 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Hepa is a high IQ player. He needs to play more minutes. 

I know to most people this is good. I feel like we as Texas fans have been jaded as “High IQ Player” immediately makes me think “coach on the field” and then unathletic white guy and the snowballing continues..... 

Just now, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

For those of us plebes with no LHN, if this dunk was as good as it sounds. Be sure to post a link or vid if you have it. If it was so so, don’t worry about it

see who made the block first.  

• Like 4

Not much to take away from tonight until we play better competition.

I like these type openers where you can play a bunch of guys and not really have to worry about the outcome. Ramey got 23 minutes, Hayes 20 minutes, Hepa 11 minutes, Liddell 7 minutes and Jones 9 minutes. So all those guys were able to get involved early in the year. 

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

8-25, 11-20. Still can't shoot. Last year we won our first game 105-59. This is going to be a long season.

Only HTown Horn would have a take like this. I have no clue if we will be good or bad but Shaka started playing all young guys at about the 10 to 12 minute mark in the 2nd half once we were up 20. He could have easily won this by 40 if he extended minutes of the starters and that was without Roach. 

You bitched all year about the short rotation and Shaka was willing to play a bunch of guys tonight to get them involved. Do you want Texas to blow out shit teams or get some of these young guys involved early so they might be ready once it matters? 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 5

This was the best I've seen the full court press under Shaka but no clue if that's just because Eastern Illinois sucks. They probably turned the ball over 50% of the time when we pressed. If Shaka would have stuck with the press this game would have been ugly because they had no clue how to break the press. 

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

This was the best I've seen the full court press under Shaka but no clue if that's just because Eastern Illinois sucks. They probably turned the ball over 50% of the time when we pressed. If Shaka would have stuck with the press this game would have been ugly because they had no clue how to break the press. 

If I recall correctly, we pressed a lot in our season opener last season too, but dialed it back later, even before losing Andrew Jones. Not going to draw any conclusions from this game on that front.

Arkansas likes to run, so that will be interesting.

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If I recall correctly, we pressed a lot in our season opener last season too, but dialed it back later, even before losing Andrew Jones. Not going to draw any conclusions from this game on that front.

Arkansas likes to run, so that will be interesting.

We didn't really press all that much tonight but I think it had more to do with the opponent than anything. You want to get something out of these type games so creating turnovers and scoring in transition doesn't do much for the development of a team that struggles in the half court. 

I hope we see more full court pressure this year because I think we have the depth to actually do it once Simms and Roach return.

Edited by texasstrong12

I think Lance Blanks made a key observation about closing out the game, and it got sloppy a bit late, but there is a ton of talent in this team.  It will be nice to see a rotation this deep.

i wonder how many years Hayes plays in burnt orange after this debut.  Hepa is going to be a great piece.  Reminded me of Boddicker a bit.  Can shoot and do dirty work.  I like that we get a lot of games at home to bake this cake a bit before the conference season starts.  

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

8-25, 11-20. Still can't shoot. Last year we won our first game 105-59. This is going to be a long season.

Already? Fucking already? After the last two football losses, it’s doomsday after a win in our first hoops game? HTH, by chance, if you have any Xanax around, take one and send me the rest. Thank you. 

Just now, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Already? Fucking already? After the last two football losses, it’s doomsday after a win in our first hoops game? HTH, by chance, if you have any Xanax around, take one and send me the rest. Thank you. 

amazes me how some people just look to go through life miserable. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I have very low expectations because there will be no half court offense under Shaka. Confirmation bias tells me Shaka will not run havoc as he should to use his athletes to play a more open style. This game is just another in a long line of evidence to say Shaka is over his head. That FT shooting still sucks shouldn't be a huge surprise either.