Formula 1 2019

wood

11 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Get in there Merc with a fortunate 1 - 2. Ferrari falling apart was terrible for Charles. That said, he’s ahead of Vettle in the points and that is awesome.

McLaren in the points!!

How long does Gasly have in the second RedBull seat? He doesn’t seem to have it.

I knew as soon as RBR confirmed Gasly last year that their Young Driver Program must have completely dried up. He's terrible.

McLaren is looking very good. Basically right there with Red Bull in this race. Too bad Sainz didn't leave enough room, but Norris had a helluva drive up to 6th.

10 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I will say the middle sure has gotten extremely competitive and that’s a very good thing.  Like most of us I’d love to see more big manufacturers get their hands dirty and build some engines.

Not gonna happen as long as they stick with this PU formula.

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

Safety car was the only bit of luck Chuck enjoyed all day.  And it wasn't much.  He earned the win, a shame his car couldn't hold up its end.  But like he said, that's motorsport.  Here's hoping his luck improves in the future.  

I have a feeling it will. He's gonna be a great one imho.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wood said:

I have a feeling it will. He's gonna be a great one imho.

Agree,  but with this caveat-- He's gonna be as good as his team and car allow him to be.  As a Ferrari fan, I'm hoping to see a lot more consistency in reliability and strategy.  I think the performance is pretty much there, though, which is saying something compared to the past few years.

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Agree,  but with this caveat-- He's gonna be as good as his team and car allow him to be.  As a Ferrari fan, I'm hoping to see a lot more consistency in reliability and strategy.  I think the performance is pretty much there, though, which is saying something compared to the past few years.

Yeah they're all limited by the cars. I mean I think he has a chance to be one of the rare guys whose greatness becomes evident & shines through regardless of number of championships & regardless of what he's driving, a la a Senna, Alonso, Prost, Hamilton, Schumi, Clark, Gilles, etc...

Autosport Italy think the Mercedes and Ferrari power units are nearly identical, both at about 990HP, which is less than last year (oil burning restriction).

They have Honda at 38HP down and Renault a tad more. These are only at max engine modes though, so normal race modes are likely much closer.

There’s also an in season test tomorrow and Tuesday at Bahrain. Hamilton has decided to test when he almost never does in season testing (it’s mostly test drivers that normally drive). Mick Schumacher is also driving for Ferrari one of the days and Alfa for the other.

Reading Reddit comments, it seems like the Netflix series has brought in a whole bunch of new fans.

The YouTube channel is becoming increasingly popular as well. The Bahrain race highlight video already has 1.8m views. Australia has 3.6m views. The channel has over 2m subs and it keeps growing.

I know a few people interested now because of the Netflix show. 

I just hope they can reinforce that interest in the races. One guy I know liked Ric from the Netflix show so they tuned into Australia and Ric was basically out of it after 150 meters. 

Then Bahrain was much more entertaining right up until the safety car which was a bummer. 

18 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Reading Reddit comments, it seems like the Netflix series has brought in a whole bunch of new fans.

10 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

I know a few people interested now because of the Netflix show. 

This is me and I'll have some dumb questions and stumble around a lot, but I'm here for it.

• Like 5

Marc Priestley’s YouTube channel is pretty great, even if some of the videos are long. He’s a former McLaren lead mechanic. I may have mentioned this before, can’t remember. Anyway, he’s in Monaco at the moment. Here’s a cool video showing the track during a normal day.

• Like 1

First question: how do you catch these races live? who has the TV rights and are these at insane hours of the night? Meant to catch Bahrain, but I just watched most of the clips on the F1 twitter.

ESPN carries them all, mostly on ESPN 2. The euro races are mostly at 8AM central time.

I have a calendar in my phone that tracks it all in my time. You can use that or the F1 app/site to know what time it’s at.

The Far East races like Japan/Australia/China are usually somewhere between midnight and 2AM local.
  • Like 1

Yep, you can add F1's race calendar to google calendar, too, in local time.

I don't get too wrapped up any more with trying to view every race live. I

I've learned how to pretty successfully avoid the news and I just can't watch them all live due to work, etc. It's nice when I can, though, because I can follow it with everyone else around the world & on here.

Edited by wood
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, elfenix said:

?

I had posted a pic of 2019 USGP pricing info that's been posted on reddit. But I took it down because there's some question as to whether it's really for this year or not. The dates match last year's race, but the guy says it's for this year. If it's from COTA and they emailed it today, then they got the dates wrong ... which wouldn't surprise me at all. I mean, the USGP is literally the only reason the track exists in the first place. Why bother to get the date right?

Still checking...

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

bruno mars, britney spears, and the dates all scream that it was last year's

Yep. Didn't see the concert info til after I posted. He said he got it in an email from COTA. Finally went on to explain later that the rep said the tickets would be 'similarly priced' as last year's, and sent him that image.

Thanks guys. Am I a total chud for being in on Team Renault? 

Not at all. Try being a huge Lewis Hamilton and Merc fan and you might not get the same response (I’m all in on Merc and Hamilton).

My second team is McLaren. Loved Alonso and have been a big fan of Norris for a couple of years.

Hmmm ... During the race I thought Sainz vs Max was just a racing incident & that maybe Carlos should have left a bit more room, but after seeing this video, it's completely on Max imho. I'm not sure it would have helped if Carlos had left more room. Max used him as a brake for the turn, and ruined his race.  Looking at this video, which I don't think they ever showed during the reason for some reason btw, it looks to me as if Carlos was fully past Max. That makes Max the overtaker once they approach the next corner. He came from wayyyyyy back, and he didn't get it done cleanly, puncturing Carlos's tire in the process.

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I disagree. Max hit the curb and bounces his car into Carlos. Racing incident.

Max never had a chance to pull that off without contact. Once Sainz was past him it was time to brake and turn in. Sainz was ahead at Turn-in. The racing line was his. He didn't have to give Max room at that point. That space was always gonna close. But Max tried a lunging outbraking maneuver anyway, way too late & too fast, then he hit the curb. Sainz coulda gone way wider & Max still woulda hit him with that shallow line & braking that late. If you can pull off a move like that within track limits and without hitting the other guy, then great. If not, it's your fault.

It's on the overtaking car to overtake safely. I'm a fan of Max's & have defended a lot of his moves, but not this one. Afterward he said Sainz shut the door on him. Nah, Sainz was a lot nicer than most would have been there & he still got his race ruined. 

Edited by wood

15 hours ago, wood said:

It's on the overtaking car to overtake safely.

This is where it's at.  Yes, Max late braked into the corner.  But, when he did it put him wheel to wheel with Sainz and Sainz certainly closed the door.  So, likely fault on both parties which is probably why the Stewards called it a racing incident.  FWIW, I am not a Max fan at all. I was when he first started but would have expected him to grow up by now. 

Max is a turd.  Just my opinion. 

I guess he can drive, but he's also getting a lot of leeway from the other drivers because they have legitimate fears that if they even TRY to race him, he's going to wreck them out.

Unless The Powers That Be start to penalize him heavily, he'll keep getting away with it.  Really makes for POOR racing in my opinion, because most just aren't willing to challenge him.  And when they do, shit like this happens.

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Max is a turd.  Just my opinion. 

I guess he can drive, but he's also getting a lot of leeway from the other drivers because they have legitimate fears that if they even TRY to race him, he's going to wreck them out.

Unless The Powers That Be start to penalize him heavily, he'll keep getting away with it.  Really makes for POOR racing in my opinion, because most just aren't willing to challenge him.  And when they do, shit like this happens.

Unfortunately this kind of behavior was legitimized to a large extent by a couple of drivers who used these kind of tactics extensively and are idolized today.