Formula 1 2019

wood

26 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It’s definitely Merc who has gained much more than Ferrari has lost, though. Their low speed stuff even demolishes Red Bull.

Monaco is going to be a slaughter.

Supposedly Bottas had a mechanical issue at the launch - i.e. wasn't a driver or reaction problem.  Atleast the interteam battle would be interesting to watch

The winner won't be much fun to watch most of the time. It's whichever Merc has the better start. 

The real fun is Ferrari vs Red Bull and McLaren vs Haas. 

Sainz did well to save something for McLaren after Norris went out. He beat both STRs, both Renaults and one Haas. Nearly had the other Haas too. 

Haas and McLaren should have a good "best of the rest" battle most of the year with STR occasionally in the mix with Perez also in there on tracks that favor their car. I'm afraid Renault have big issues and Stroll isn't going to do anything. Williams are just the sad kids in the corner of the gym wishing they could get in the game. 

• Like 2

Supposedly Bottas had a mechanical issue at the launch - i.e. wasn't a driver or reaction problem.  Atleast the interteam battle would be interesting to watch

I think the bite point was just set incorrectly.

Lewis had a poor start in Australia but has beaten Bottas off the line in 2 out of the last 3 races, and it could’ve been 3/3 if he wasn’t as “nice” in Baku. It will be interesting though for sure. Lewis does typically tend to start slow and just blaze the second half of the season.

On 5/10/2019 at 1:00 PM, Hawndoh said:

Merc is going to run away with the whole season. Possibly every season until the next rules shakeup. 

Yep. Been saying that the last 3-4 seasons. 

LMAO at all the people saying after testing that Ferrari was ahead, Merc were 2nd or 3rd, McLaren were 9th, calling every quick lap of theirs an 'empty fuel glory run', etc. The same assholes who were saying after Melbourne that McLaren had improved from 9th to 4th in two fucking weeks, and now saying that Merc has improved this much in 10 weeks. Nope. C'mon, man. It doesn't work that way. It was testing. We didn't know what fuel loads, engine maps, anyone was running, or any number of other variables. Who's to say Merc weren't testing then the very items that have put them so far out front now? 

17 hours ago, Updawg said:

Most interesting part was watching how grosjean would screw it up. Totally expected him to take out both haas somehow.

17 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Apparently the team was pretty furious with KMag, actually.

I was amazed they didn't take one another out. Worst driver pairing in F1 the last however many years, imho. 

On 5/12/2019 at 9:39 AM, RamjetFDO said:

Haas on Haas almost-violence.

If I were KMag and had Crashtor Grosjean challenging me at every turn, I'd be damned nervous... Not because of being passed, but of being pushed into a wall.

KMag is just as likely to push someone into a wall as GRO is, maybe more. The difference is that KMag will do it on purpose while GRO does it out of sheer cluelessness. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

Christ Almighty... did Ferrari regress or did Mercedes just improve that much over everyone?

Pretty much everyone is competing for third place at best.

19 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Merc is just that good and Ferrari makes mistakes. 

Red Bull is the one I think that will capitalize on Ferraris mistakes. I think Merc would beat Ferrari even if Ferrari is mistake free. 

19 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Merc is in Ferrari ‘s head. Merc has them all messed up.

Yeah Ferrari just wasn't ever that good imho. Like Hawndoh said, they aren't gonna beat Merc very often this year even when they don't fuck it up. But it sure is interesting watching all the crazy  new ways they come up with to step on their own dicks. Alonso was right to leave. He could see the incompetence from the inside. McLaren didn't work out, but in terms of championships, which is what it was down to for him, he knew he was going nowhere with Ferrari.

18 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

The winner won't be much fun to watch most of the time. It's whichever Merc has the better start. 

The real fun is Ferrari vs Red Bull and McLaren vs Haas. 

Sainz did well to save something for McLaren after Norris went out. He beat both STRs, both Renaults and one Haas. Nearly had the other Haas too. 

Haas and McLaren should have a good "best of the rest" battle most of the year with STR occasionally in the mix with Perez also in there on tracks that favor their car. I'm afraid Renault have big issues and Stroll isn't going to do anything. Williams are just the sad kids in the corner of the gym wishing they could get in the game. 

Yeah the McLaren - Haas battle could be a good one, but I really expect McLaren to out-develop Haas as the season wears on. Haas is always quick early but haven't shown much ability to develop those Ferraris. 

18 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I think the bite point was just set incorrectly.

Lewis had a poor start in Australia but has beaten Bottas off the line in 2 out of the last 3 races, and it could’ve been 3/3 if he wasn’t as “nice” in Baku. It will be interesting though for sure. Lewis does typically tend to start slow and just blaze the second half of the season.

Yeah I kinda wonder what Lewis meant by that. Had he been any less "nice", he'd have put Bottas into the wall & probably ruined both of their races & some others as well. Bottas was fuily alongside him. It's not like he did anything wrong. What else was Lewis gonna do?

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Zandvoort is back!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.dutch-grand-prix-to-return-at-zandvoort-from-2020.1OTLRqLZB6mXdD1VPyHiNx.html?utm_keyword=Announcement_DutchGP&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Ogilvy&utm_campaign=20190514_BreakingNews_DutchGP&utm_term=20190514_BreakingNews

Formula 1 is delighted to announce that the Dutch Grand Prix returns to the FIA Formula 1 World Championship from 2020. An agreement has recently been signed between Formula 1 and Dutch Grand Prix – a partnership formed by SportVibes, TIG Sports and the Circuit Zandvoort – and will run for at least three years.

Furthermore, Heineken, one of the longstanding Global Partners of Formula 1, will be the Title Sponsor of the event.

Situated not far from the vibrant city of Amsterdam, Zandvoort is a major beach resort in the Netherlands, known for its long beach bordered by magnificent coastal dunes separating the North Sea from the track. The Circuit of Zandvoort has a long history as a Formula 1 venue, and over the coming months, the facility will be rebuilt with help from Zandvoort town council and several other partners. The track and the infrastucture will be modified in order to meet the standards laid out by the FIA in order to host a Formula 1 World Championship event.

When the 2020 race takes place, it will be the 31st Dutch Grand Prix to count as a round of the World Championship. It was first held in 1952, when it was won by a Ferrari, driven by Alberto Ascari, who went on to win the world championship that year. Apart from the Italian, there were a further 19 winners, of which 12 were also world champions. Jim Clark holds the outright record with four wins to his name. The last Dutch Grand Prix took place in 1985 and will return next year as Formula 1 Heineken Dutch Grand Prix 2020.

I'm just going to throw this in here because it is world championship stuff. This is a horrible crash.

The WRC championship leader, Thierry Neuville, was forced to retire from Rally Chile following a huge crash Saturday.

The Hyundai driver was trying to close the gap on second-place Sebastian Ogier and was just 1.4 seconds behind in SS8 but came over a hill, drifted wide and rolled his i20 eight times before eventually coming to a rest.

The stage was red-flagged and Neuville required medical assistance after the crash. He was transferred to a local hospital, and an update from the Hyundai team said that both he and co-driver Nicolas Gilsoul were okay.

https://autoweek.com/article/world-rally-championship/video-wrc-championship-leader-thierry-neuville-escapes-injury-after?utm_source=&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-center&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=

Edited by PittsburghTiger

22 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I'm just going to throw this in here because it is world championship stuff. This is a horrible crash.

The WRC championship leader, Thierry Neuville, was forced to retire from Rally Chile following a huge crash Saturday.

The Hyundai driver was trying to close the gap on second-place Sebastian Ogier and was just 1.4 seconds behind in SS8 but came over a hill, drifted wide and rolled his i20 eight times before eventually coming to a rest.

The stage was red-flagged and Neuville required medical assistance after the crash. He was transferred to a local hospital, and an update from the Hyundai team said that both he and co-driver Nicolas Gilsoul were okay.

https://autoweek.com/article/world-rally-championship/video-wrc-championship-leader-thierry-neuville-escapes-injury-after?utm_source=&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-center&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=

Damn. Reminds me a little of Solberg's horrific crash in Germany, except without repeatedly  hitting the Hincklesteins.

On 5/15/2019 at 10:37 AM, mcbrisket said:

In this article, Martin Brundle lays out pretty well the current situation in F1 and why it sucks balls.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24096/11719448/martin-brundle-on-spanish-gp-frustrations-and-f1-future-visions

Great article - thanks for sharing. 

"It was a 66-lap race, but pole man Valtteri Bottas' chance of winning was effectively over before turn one because of a clutch vibration off the start. A complex collection of parts and software we will never be allowed to see, and couldn't understand anyway, created by an army of talented people we can never meet. But the main point here is that a 'clutch vibration' should not be a race-defining moment unable to be remedied over the next 300kms.

Furthermore, a team of 1000 clever people with all the data in the world can't fully understand why a three-degree track surface change torpedoes one team's performance and lights up another car. So how the hell are we supposed to?"

14 hours ago, elfenix said:
On 5/16/2019 at 8:07 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Itis amazing how much of that is recognizable.

10 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I thought much the same thing

Yeah it's remarkable how little the place has changed, right?