Formula 1 2019

wood

as they replayed that team radio, vettel himself said lewis would have passed him had vettel kept inside.  that's why that's a penalty.

edit: i can totally believe that toto has never jumped around

Edited by elfenix

22 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Let's just have qualifying and then let everyone run around in order for 70 laps. Pretty much what it is getting to

F1's been that way as long as i've been watching it (about 25 years now).  at least now qualifying is interesting, unlike previously when the top teams just came out with about 5 minutes left, set a lap, and went home for the night.  though, back then, you could count on 2 engines exploding a race. 

if you want a good fight you should have been watching indycar from texas last night.  still  have no idea how josef newgarden wound up in the lead after the final stop.  if the gods wanted interesting racing we'd have max, rossi, leclerc, and colton herta all together in cup or lmp2 or gp2 or indycars. 

anyway, on to le mans

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Updawg said:

Let's just have qualifying and then let everyone run around in order for 70 laps. Pretty much what it is getting to

The qualifying *is* more or less, the race.  'specially in a place like monaco

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

Yeah, no.  They can't tell what was happening from a mysterious "second movement after regaining control" because Vettel didn't regain control until it was all completely done.  The 5 second penalty was bullshit and robbed us of a race.  The FIA deserves all the crap it's getting.  In a series where actual racing is hard to come by, they're ruining it. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2019 at 2:04 PM, elfenix said:

Last 2 laps have illustrated how regarded DRS is. Leclerc gets around verstappen using DRS and gets to use it going into T1 afterward, and then RIC defends Bottas using DRS he'd gotten as Russell pulled over going into the hairpin. Give everyone 2 or 3 seconds a lap of moving rear wing instead of this contrived BS.

Meanwhile, ham is on vettel's ass

Yeah, or treat it like push to pass in Indy and just give them something like 100 seconds total DRS for the entire race, use it where you like, but when it's gone it's gone.

5 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

You used to be able to use DRS anywhere.

I'd be great with that.  I've always been strongly in favor of more technological innovation and less regulation.  If I were the king of Formula1 I'd get rid of pretty much every technical reg you can name.  If you want to run  a turbocharged V6, do it.  If you want to run a supercharged V12, cool.  If you want a car with 6 wheels, I'm all for it.

Yes, I realize that would limit us to maybe 2 or 3 teams that could afford it.  I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.  3 teams, that can run 4 cars each.  Now let's go race.

Edited by utee94

On 6/9/2019 at 2:30 PM, Bone3421 said:

Im not a vettel fan but that has to be a kick in the nuts...great weekend and lose on a penalty
Not 100% sure it was penalty worthy really

On 6/9/2019 at 2:31 PM, Updawg said:

Pretty weak. Thanks for ruining a decent race.

On 6/9/2019 at 2:36 PM, Updawg said:

I don't care for either team, just want a entertaining race. They just ended that. Let them race. I could understand if they hit each other but that was weak

Yeah, so, I finally got to watch my DVR of the race. Had baseball all weekend.

I'm certainly  no fan of Vettel's, but damn, that was a weak penalty.

I'm not sure Vettel even had a choice but to do what he did, coming from the grass back onto the track at what was still a fair clip. His momentum was such that I don't think he had anywhere else to go or that he could have stopped or slowed enough to 'rejoin safely', and I don't think he was fully in control once he got back onto the track. Basically he was still in the process of saving it imho. Had he not been able to save it and had hit the wall, collecting Lewis, would he have been penalized? I really doubt it. We've also seen many times where people re-entered very unsafely & got no penalty at all. I just don't see this one at all.

IF I were gonna penalize him for anything, it would be that I might think he should give up the spot because Lewis pressured him into a mistake, causing him to leave the track while defending. I'm a big proponent of the idea that a defending car should give up the position if they go off-track when defending a car close behind ... but they never give that penalty anyway & I'm not sure Lewis was really close enough for that kind of penalty, either.

• Like 1

Or, re: DRS, just get rid of it altogether, reduce downforce massively by reducing front & rear wing area & complexity & severely limiting the extra aero appendages all over  the cars, making more DF from ground effect & mechanical grip so they can follow again. Reduce drag & increase top speeds / increase braking distances . Reduce the width, length, and weight of the cars, and more....

Yeah I liked that bit, too.

Key Kev-- next time try to keep it out of the wall.  Maybe it'll run better if your team doesn't have to completely rebuild your car.

Or maybe, your team is sick of you and doesn't GAF if your car works properly or not.  Ya know, when your life is in someone else's hands...

• Like 1

Found this on SmilexTech’s (who is an Italian FIA accredited mech eng) Twitter. Tobi Grüner’s headline is a bit sensationalist.

e8904ef6c0bb2e0676b70c2907a0de69.jpg

Hell, he even thinks the penalty is correct (by the letter of the law).

Most of his content is Ferrari related of course, but he seems pretty rational. He’s a great follow for tech related info.

On 6/10/2019 at 8:23 PM, utee94 said:

Yeah, or treat it like push to pass in Indy and just give them something like 100 seconds total DRS for the entire race, use it where you like, but when it's gone it's gone.

yeah that's what i mean.  if a race is 55 laps then drivers should get 110 or 165 seconds of being able to open their rear wings.  whenever they want. 

Edited by elfenix

8 minutes ago, elfenix said:

yeah that's what i mean.  if a race is 55 laps then drivers should get 110 or 165 seconds of being able to open their rear wings.  whenever they want. 

I agree with that if they have to keep DRS, but I'd rather just get rid of it and fix the real problems instead.

19 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Lewis tried to give Seb a ride back (thought his car was broke down).

https://streamable.com/n60tw?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Lewis handled the entire situation very well I think.  I didn't know that bit quoted above, but when he pulled Seb up onto the top of the podium alongside him, I thought that was a really great gesture.

And after Seb threw his third or fourth hissy fit, once he was finally up there on the podium, I felt like he finally came around and had a pretty good reaction too.  I liked that he asked the fans not to boo Lewis, since Lewis did absolutely nothing wrong.  I can only imagine how gut-wrenching the stewards'  penalty was for him, and like Button said in the postrace, I don't blame him for the passion of his response.  But once he cooled down a little bit, he regained some of his sanity and corrected his behavior. Although I have no doubt this one's going to sit deep inside for a very long time.

I've never been a huge fan of either of these two drivers, they've both had some unbelievably whiny and petulant episodes in their careers.  But I thought it was pretty cool seeing how they treated one another after all that went down.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wood said:

Or, re: DRS, just get rid of it altogether, reduce downforce massively by reducing front & rear wing area & complexity & severely limiting the extra aero appendages all over  the cars, making more DF from ground effect & mechanical grip so they can follow again. Reduce drag & increase top speeds / increase braking distances . Reduce the width, length, and weight of the cars, and more....

Yes

12 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah, so, I finally got to watch my DVR of the race. Had baseball all weekend.

I'm certainly  no fan of Vettel's, but damn, that was a weak penalty.

I'm not sure Vettel even had a choice but to do what he did, coming from the grass back onto the track at what was still a fair clip. His momentum was such that I don't think he had anywhere else to go or that he could have stopped or slowed enough to 'rejoin safely', and I don't think he was fully in control once he got back onto the track. Basically he was still in the process of saving it imho. Had he not been able to save it and had hit the wall, collecting Lewis, would he have been penalized? I really doubt it. We've also seen many times where people re-entered very unsafely & got no penalty at all. I just don't see this one at all.

IF I were gonna penalize him for anything, it would be that I might think he should give up the spot because Lewis pressured him into a mistake, causing him to leave the track while defending. I'm a big proponent of the idea that a defending car should give up the position if they go off-track when defending a car close behind ... but they never give that penalty anyway & I'm not sure Lewis was really close enough for that kind of penalty, either.

If the drivers are competing on basis on one-track racing, Hamilton shouldn't have had his progress impeded by someone else losing control of their car

• Like 1

They should have at the minimum made Vet give up the place to Hamilton and let him fight to get it back. At least then it would have been on track. Instead, the 5 second penalty did the same thing. Vet could have tried to drive 5 seconds off, but couldn’t. Don’t make a mistake and there won’t be an issue. Mistakes should be penalized, as they are in every other sport. Offsides - 5 yards. Etc.

4 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

They should have at the minimum made Vet give up the place to Hamilton and let him fight to get it back. At least then it would have been on track. Instead, the 5 second penalty did the same thing. Vet could have tried to drive 5 seconds off, but couldn’t. Don’t make a mistake and there won’t be an issue. Mistakes should be penalized, as they are in every other sport. Offsides - 5 yards. Etc.

I can agree with making him give up the position. That's much better than a 5 second penalty, but much to my chagrin, they rarely or maybe even never do that in that case. I don't even know if there's such a rule, but imho it's so fundamental that there absolutely should be one. Lewis should have had to give up the lead to Ricciardo in Monaco in '16 imho when he cut the chicane with RIC on his gearbox, but nope. In this case, Lewis wasn't as close as RIC was, so that would have been a tougher call. A 5-second penalty isn't the same though, because then all Lewis had to do was stay close. Had they made Vettel give up the position, then Lewis would have had to defend an attacking Vettel, likely with DRS, which would have been fair and probably would have been a great show.

Edited by wood
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, wood said:

Had they made Vettel give up the position, then Lewis would have had to defend an attacking Vettel, likely with DRS, which would have been fair and probably would have been a great show.

Vettel probably wouldve spun 2 more times :D

• Like 4

I'm not sure what Ferrari has done to anger the Gods, but it seems like we need to have a New Orleans Saints style funeral or something.

Keep finding new and interesting ways to fuck things up every week, it's really amazing if you stand back and count up all the fuckups.

I'm actually completely desensitized to mercedes winning. 

First 2 years I was cheering for their breaking red bull dominance, next 2 years was annoyance, and this year honestly I don't even notice that they took every race -- pay more attention to intrateam battles, mid pack drama, etc