Formula 1 2019

wood

Is Hamilton that much of a better driver?  If they all had his car would he still be the top driver?  Obviously the cars are head and shoulders above the rest. 

Yes. He really has no weaknesses. He’s also been at the top so long he knows what to do in just about every situation imaginable.

Hey, it’s Sir Jackie!

53 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Is Hamilton that much of a better driver?  If they all had his car would he still be the top driver?  Obviously the cars are head and shoulders above the rest. 

Anyone had potential to be quick for one lap but Hamilton has proven:

-makes fewest mistakes

-consistent pace

-delivers when it matters

All the other top guys have shown to be worse at 1 or 2 of those categories.  Given the same cars, i'd guess it'd be Hamilton, LeClerc, Ricciardo.  LeClerc has had some incidences, few of which were his fault.  Ricciardo's shown he has Verstappens aggression and passing instincts but without the idiocy, but this year hasn't really outperformed Hulkenberg that much. 

• Like 1

Damn, DVRd the race and accidentally opened some news sites.

I guess not even worth watching other than the first few laps then it’s the same ol’?

Nowadays, I actually enjoy the pre race on the grid reporting more than the actual race :/

• Like 1

Worth watching just to see Sir Jackie messing with Charles's hair. Also, a French brass band playing the English and German anthems is kinda funny.

Like seeing McLaren being racy, though the hydraulic issues are disappointing. Guess I need to see what goes on with Ricciardo being off track twice and forcing Norris off when rejoining.

Post race flyover? Post race flyover.

Worth watching just to see Sir Jackie messing with Charles's hair. Also, a French brass band playing the English and German anthems is kinda funny.

Like seeing McLaren being racy, though the hydraulic issues are disappointing. Guess I need to see what goes on with Ricciardo being off track twice and forcing Norris off when rejoining.

Post race flyover? Post race flyover.

Ricciardo got two 5 second penalties.

And yeah that flyover was interesting. Ok, cool, let’s fly some Rafales. Fuck it, send the Falcon out there too.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, texas08 said:

I guess not even worth watching other than the first few laps then it’s the same ol’?

The best driver in the best, most reliable, car on the best run team. So ignore the #1 spot. He's that good and that car is that good.

But Leclerc would have probably passed Bottas for second if there was another lap and the midfield stuff was pretty good.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2019 at 4:36 AM, 52-80 said:

I'm actually completely desensitized to mercedes winning. 

First 2 years I was cheering for their breaking red bull dominance, next 2 years was annoyance, and this year honestly I don't even notice that they took every race -- pay more attention to intrateam battles, mid pack drama, etc

All eras of the 2000's compared in terms of domination - by wins

t7cuo3syow631.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 10:45 AM, 52-80 said:

Anyone had potential to be quick for one lap but Hamilton has proven:

-makes fewest mistakes

-consistent pace

-delivers when it matters

All the other top guys have shown to be worse at 1 or 2 of those categories.  Given the same cars, i'd guess it'd be Hamilton, LeClerc, Ricciardo.  LeClerc has had some incidences, few of which were his fault.  Ricciardo's shown he has Verstappens aggression and passing instincts but without the idiocy, but this year hasn't really outperformed Hulkenberg that much. 

This is yet another reason why F1 needs Alonso back in a competitive seat. I've said for years that he and Lewis are in a separate class, esp when you look at what they're able to do with consistency over a long haul. Alonso is the only guy who can really race with Lewis. Max & Leclerc maybe later with a little more seasoning, and a couple others on their way up. 

Edited by wood

The Red Bull era looks like what I'd want long-term if we could actually choose. I'm fine with one team being clearly the best (although it's nice that it cycles), but around 50% of race wins should be the limit. Plus there were three other teams tasting victory at least somewhat consistently.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2019 at 7:42 PM, elfenix said:

Yeah the hydraulic issue for Norris was disappointing, but Danny really fucked his race there at the end, forcing him off and letting everyone else by. He was holding him off for P7 and ended up P9 after the RIC penalty.

Ricciardo's not in a particularly competitive car, but even so, he really seems to have lost something. Just some boneheaded driving errors and bad decisions.  I suppose it's because he's frustrated, but race car drivers have got to keep cooler heads.  It's not unlike Vettel, just trying to do too much and screwing it up.

Anyway, of course I liked the "Ferrari Domination" period, but the "equal cars" era sure was a lot of fun.

Edited by utee94

Leclerc takes pole in Austria, Hamilton 2nd, although he may get grid penalty for potential blocking of Kimi during Q1. Max 3rd, Bottas 4th, Vettel 10th, did not run in Q3, air pressure issue but he was about 2nd during Q2.

Isn't Ferrari going to start on softs and everyone else on mediums? 

I'm guessing that will help Leclerc clear everyone at the start and build a bit of a gap before going into tire manage mode. Then it will be a case of seeing if his mediums hold out against others soft tires at the end. 

Edited by Hawndoh

Tried to understand the Tyre rules on the F1 website. Anyone have a link in English?

In a nutshell... Unless it rains, each driver must use at least two of the three tire choices for the weekend. (I.e., at least one pit stop tire change to a different compound)

The added rule is that you start the race on the exact set of tires that you did your fastest lap in Q2.
  • Like 2

Well, sort of. Everyone who makes Q3 will start the race on the same physical set of tires they set their fastest Q2 time with. Everyone who failed to make Q3 can start on any set they have access to.
Ah... Gotcha. Thought it was everyone in Q2 was under that constraint. It's only the Q3 top 10 that are constrained by that?