TEXAS AT TEXAS STATE

petscii

Damn son.  This team was really fun to watch earlier in the year despite the Stanford rain debacle and the TCU meltdown.  Since then it is brutal.(captain obvious take)

Maybe Pierce can right the ship enough to sneak in to a regional where season 3 starts.  The package, home regional, was almost wrapped if they could have taken care of business in April.  Nope.  Fuck this 9th inning losing shit.

1 non-conference

2 conference and conference tourney

3 regional

4 super

5 omaha

15 minutes ago, zork said:

Damn son.  This team was really fun to watch earlier in the year despite the Stanford rain debacle and the TCU meltdown.  Since then it is brutal.(captain obvious take)

Maybe Pierce can right the ship enough to sneak in to a regional where season 3 starts.  The package, home regional, was almost wrapped if they could have taken care of business in April.  Nope.  Fuck this 9th inning losing shit.

1 non-conference

2 conference and conference tourney

3 regional

4 super

5 omaha

After that LSU series, I posted I like the attutude and the fight of this team.

Wow!   WTH...

11 hours ago, Yama Yak Yachtzi said:

Last 2 games: 18 pitchers used, 18 runs, 0 wins. 

Welcome to the David Pierce style of coaching.  I've been saying it since he got here, Pierce simply plays the hot hand.  He doesn't have that this year and so everything is falling apart.  There is no reason for our bullpen to be this bad with the talent that is there.

14 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Welcome to the David Pierce style of coaching.  I've been saying it since he got here, Pierce simply plays the hot hand.  He doesn't have that this year and so everything is falling apart.  There is no reason for our bullpen to be this bad with the talent that is there.

I'm not picking at you, but what's wrong with "playing the hot hand," until or unless it gets to overworking a pitcher?  It's not a sophisticated strategy, but I don't see much wrong with it.  And, I'm not sure pitcher-an-inning has anything to do with that "strategery," unless he's trying to find the hot hand.  Likely as not, he's trying to find out which of these younguns is going to step up in game situations and throw strikes.

Good freshman pitchers are not unheard of, but we have a ton of freshman pitchers, and others that haven't had much/any D1 experience.

Edited by TwiceHorn

The pitchers feel like they have to be perfect or they will get yanked.  They are strung tighter than a banjo.  Actually by now a lot of them don’t seem to give a shit what happens, which is even worse.  They also don’t have much of an approach to pitching. Ie how to fool hitters. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not picking at you, but what's wrong with "playing the hot hand," until or unless it gets to overworking a pitcher?  It's not a sophisticated strategy, but I don't see much wrong with it.  And, I'm not sure pitcher-an-inning has anything to do with that "strategery," unless he's trying to find the hot hand.  Likely as not, he's trying to find out which of these younguns is going to step up in game situations and throw strikes.

Good freshman pitchers are not unheard of, but we have a ton of freshman pitchers, and others that haven't had much/any D1 experience.

If a college pitcher wants the ball, then he needs to pitch well when given his shot.  I'm fine with rotating several pitchers in Game 3 of a series like Okie Lite.... just not necessarily in the order Coach Pierce did.  

I've posted on another thread that Pierce might want to ask Elder to move back to the bullpen to hopefully add more stability there and give this team a better chance to win games.  Try other pitchers as starters.... lots of these freshmen pitchers were starters in high school.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I agree that playing the hot hand is not a bad thing unless it is your only strategy, which so far appears to be the case with Pierce. 

We need consistent players, not just to hope for a guy to get hot.  You get consistency through development and coaching.  With our pitching, throwing strikes is the issue.  Throwing strikes also happens to be a mechanics issue, which is fixed through coaching/development.  Pierce and staff are not developing our pitchers and so are simply left hoping that someone gets hot.

While I cannot dispute our relief pitching is a total disaster I am not sure we can come to such a specific diagnosis. But it is not like I can explain why they still struggle to throw strikes except to point out that most college staffs struggle to do that at times.

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

While I cannot dispute our relief pitching is a total disaster I am not sure we can come to such a specific diagnosis. But it is not like I can explain why they still struggle to throw strikes except to point out that most college staffs struggle to do that at times.

you have to locate the fastball first and foremost, whether you throw a 2 seam or 4 seam.  Everything in ptiching is based on being able to locate the fastball.  we have about 2 pitchers that can do that with college level performance.