NoRagrets

Marfa, Alpine, and Fort Davis

Breakfast in Marathon at the Oasis on our last day of travel.  The Marathon Motel was actually a great stay, especially if you want to avoid the price of the Gage.

oasis.jpgoasis1.jpg

Just got back. Thanks to everyone that provided recommendations because I totally used them and have surly the credit. Here's a recap:

shared a house using airbnb with some friends (pink adobe)

planet marfa for happy hour was awesome. Super friendly staff and a great beer garden atmosphere.

Capri for dinner. Had a fantastic meal and an awesome Mezcal based old fashion. Once again, amazing service.

Chinati foundation was a little disappointing. Really liked the metal junk welds at the warehouse in downtown though.

foodshark was great but slow as hell.

walked around downtown and the square and popped into a random free andy Warhol exhibit

Big Bend was badass. We got in one long hike partly up a mountain (shade!) and then drove down near boquillas for a short hike to see the river and canyon (104 degrees!). Went to the basin for a cold beer then headed to terlingua star light theater for dinner. That was a huge hit. Once again, phenomenal service. The locals were just getting plowed outside and playing songs, which made it feel like it was still an old west mining town.

Prada seemed unnecessarily far from town. Fort Davis was a pretty boring fort but cool history in their little museum.

St George pool is free and open to the public after 4pm, and they have a bar! That was a great spot for a dip.

Marfa Burrito was legit but didn't hold a candle to Alicia's in Alpine where I stopped for lunch on the way back home. Big thank you for that recommendation. Note- they only take CASH. Same for food shark.

3 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

FYI for anyone heading that way this summer, Balmorhea is CLOSED for a while due to some structural problems with part of the pool. Hate to see anyone drive all the way there for nothing. It really is an awesome spot, hope they get it fixed up soon.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/balmorhea

Forgot to point that out. That's why we went to Fort Davis instead.

also Star Party was a bit of a letdown because of weather (cloudy) but they still made it fun and interesting, and we still got to look through the telescopes at what was visible (mostly just Jupiter and Venus).

staying in marfa friday and saturday.  we want to take the dogs hiking on saturday.  davis mountains or big bend?  just decided on going out there; nothing is planned.  

staying in marfa friday and saturday.  we want to take the dogs hiking on saturday.  davis mountains or big bend?  just decided on going out there; nothing is planned.  

No dogs on trails in Big Bend, but at Davis Mountains SP they’re fine.

40 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

No dogs on trails in Big Bend, but at Davis Mountains SP they’re fine.

well, that will certainly factor in to the decision. 

3 hours ago, futureman said:

Davis is you prefer the dogs to not be eaten by bears. BBNP if you do.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Davis is you prefer the dogs to not be eaten by bears. BBNP if you do.

my dogs would straight fuck up a bear if it looked at them wrong.  but I think we will do davis.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:32 PM, NoRagrets said:

Marfa Burrito was legit but didn't hold a candle to Alicia's in Alpine where I stopped for lunch on the way back home. Big thank you for that recommendation. Note- they only take CASH. Same for food shark.

Alicia’s is so awesome.  Damn I wish I could have some of their green chile enchiladas today.

spacer.png

Edited by MalibuSheriff

On 8/23/2019 at 7:44 AM, Kennythetiger said:

Recently finished a drive from Del Rio to Glacier National Park. Someone suggested that we stay at Hotel Limpia in Fort Davis. Great suggestion. 

Wow, that is quite the drive.  Were you hitting national parks the whole way or what?

Needed to be in Glacier for a family reunion. Huge fan of Lonesome Dove so we followed the Goodnight/Loving trail up the Pecos and then switched to the Lonesome Dove story after that. Not many parks but lots of wide open grassland and desert. 

On 8/22/2019 at 10:37 AM, MalibuSheriff said:

Alicia’s is so awesome.  Damn I wish I could have some of their green chile enchiladas today.

spacer.png

Indeed. We stopped there once on a recc from the other site and now hit it every time through

Posted (edited)

Here in Marfa.  The St. George is where its at for the area.  Enjoyed a cabana and the pool most of the day and evening until 9pm.  They are reall nervous out here and restaurants have closed.  Liquor store still open.  Enjoyed conversation with some fellow Houstonians and a Dr. from Dallas.  That is until an argument at the whirpool  broke out and the heated verbal war killed the mood for everyone.  Apparently some olds and their old ass son who got in, with masks, didn't take to kind to the two couples who had been there for about an hour, without masks.  After being asked to put masks on the couple told them to kindly go fuck themselves as they couldn't drink with masks on.  Also that  if they were so bothered about getting sick maybe they should not approach a whirpool with people already in it without masks and then get in.  The olds were upset that they just weren't more considerate of others by wearing masks.  Fuck em both for being buzz kills but i side with the couple.

Also I hear Alpine has 22 confirmed cases of Covid and the Big Bend has or will shut back down.

Edited by RollLeft

Was out there a couple weeks ago, the new BBQ place in marathon, Buck’s, is really good. Best BBQ I’ve had that far west. 

Funny this topic has resurfaced.  I was talking with my wife about 10 minutes ago.  There is a hotel resort just north of Tucson we like to go to.  We fly to ABQ and drive down.  Wife is now suggesting driving in November instead of flying, and we’d likely break it up with a one-night stop.   I’ve always read about the Gage and the restaurant there — how is it?

On 6/18/2020 at 11:59 PM, RollLeft said:

Also I hear Alpine has 22 confirmed cases of Covid and the Big Bend has or will shut back down.

Yikes. Old population and a long way to go for treatment if the little hospital in Alpine fills up. Probably brought in from tourists from the big metros. We thought about going out there for a little bit in the spring but decided against it for that reason.

I’ll go back and read through this thread but want to ask about swimming holes around the area.  lady and I are staying in alpine for a couple nights next week and I was looking forward to swimming in balmorhea but it looks like the pool is closed.  anyone know of any other good places to swim around that part of texas?

22 hours ago, futureman said:

I’ll go back and read through this thread but want to ask about swimming holes around the area.  lady and I are staying in alpine for a couple nights next week and I was looking forward to swimming in balmorhea but it looks like the pool is closed.  anyone know of any other good places to swim around that part of texas?

http://www.chinatihotsprings.net/index.php

CHIEF

On 9/5/2020 at 3:24 PM, futureman said:

south of the groovers gas station