Interesting angle: cali to pay college players

markstanco

9 hours ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

Look - we all know the system is bullshit, but the answers suck too.  This is a booster and bag man paradise, it will truly be the Wild West.  It's sad these kids lose money while others make millions, but I don't know the answer and neither do they.  It's a no win for amateur collegiate sports.  E.G. - I'm an Alabama fan with a car dealership - you don't think I'm not going to offer a 5 star recruit a 6 figure, multi year deal?  You don't think other bag men will chip in to alleviate the costs?  It's a no win, and will truly separate 10 to 15 teams from the rest of everyone; more specifically, 6-7 teams will dominate.  That's not even including what's going to happen with name sports brand and what basketball turned into.  On top of that, these kids will need agents now for commercial prospects - introducing the agents to collegiate sports - ask the NBA how that worked. 

So pretty much like right now?

10 hours ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

Look - we all know the system is bullshit, but the answers suck too.  This is a booster and bag man paradise, it will truly be the Wild West.  It's sad these kids lose money while others make millions, but I don't know the answer and neither do they.  It's a no win for amateur collegiate sports.  E.G. - I'm an Alabama fan with a car dealership - you don't think I'm not going to offer a 5 star recruit a 6 figure, multi year deal?  You don't think other bag men will chip in to alleviate the costs?  It's a no win, and will truly separate 10 to 15 teams from the rest of everyone; more specifically, 6-7 teams will dominate.  That's not even including what's going to happen with name sports brand and what basketball turned into.  On top of that, these kids will need agents now for commercial prospects - introducing the agents to collegiate sports - ask the NBA how that worked. 

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So pretty much like right now?

On 9/30/2019 at 8:51 PM, Beau Vine said:

EFwJpKzWkAAr5VA?format=jpg&name=large

Yup.  Exactly like right now. 

Leave it to the guy making $7M/year coaching unpaid players to suggest a solution that the NCAA has no control over.  

I'm also really sick of people using the cost of tuition as proxy for what a degree is worth.  Does anyone think popcorn is worth $6 because that's what the movie theaters charge for it?  Is a bottle of water worth $5 because that's what you'll pay for it at a football game?  Is a beer worth $13 because that's what you'll pay for one in an NFL stadium?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Leave it to the guy making $7M/year coaching unpaid players to suggest a solution that the NCAA has no control over.  

I'm also really sick of people using the cost of tuition as proxy for what a degree is worth.  Does anyone think popcorn is worth $6 because that's what the movie theaters charge for it?  Is a bottle of water worth $5 because that's what you'll pay for it at a football game?  Is a beer worth $13 because that's what you'll pay for one in an NFL stadium?

In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Wow, that's pretty much dead on by Coach K and has been my point from the beginning. Either the NCAA continues to bury their heads in the sand to protect a a system currently held together by string and duct tape until it implodes (and it inevitable will), or someone forces their hand to try and adapt, even if the solutions aren't immediately perfect. Push the issue until something sustainable can be figured out.

Those things are worth whatever people will pay for them. Like everything else.

Am I being a cynical when I think that coach K would never support such a bill if he was an up and coming coach, as opposed to a deeply entrenched coach overseeing a huge cache of both cash and influence? You know, a guy who knows he only competes against probably 2 other schools for recruits. And of those he has shown he could money whip that school in Lexington.

44 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Am I being a cynical when I think that coach K would never support such a bill if he was an up and coming coach, as opposed to a deeply entrenched coach overseeing a huge cache of both cash and influence? You know, a guy who knows he only competes against probably 2 other schools for recruits. And of those he has shown he could money whip that school in Lexington.

Am I being more cynical by thinking that the NCAA coming after KU makes him feel a little less bulletproof, and that once all this goes through, it's less likely that NCAA/media will dig up the illegal pay system he has in his program and harm his legacy? 

Edited by Beau Vine

Here's a modest proposal.  Have the people who profit off of the players' image& likeness pay them a small consideration for it.  Treat it like actors receiving tiny residuals.  Off the top of my head that list includes: tv networks (obviously), sellers of posters, video games, the schools themselves, and online platforms.  

And it wouldn't be hard to have some entity group the monies and distribute them a little at a time.

3 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

Here's a modest proposal.  Have the people who profit off of the players' image& likeness pay them a small consideration for it.  Treat it like actors receiving tiny residuals.  Off the top of my head that list includes: tv networks (obviously), sellers of posters, video games, the schools themselves, and online platforms.  

And it wouldn't be hard to have some entity group the monies and distribute them a little at a time.

And the 99.999999% of college athletes that would garner a net 0?  Fuck California.  It's a generally stupid idea. You want to profit in your sport?   Go pro.  Otherwise stfu.  GOML.  

4 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Great take. You sound like a real badass.

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

He played linebacker in high school.  And he played for the love of the game and the camaradie with his teammates.  

So in other words the two of you have no arguement.   Cool.   

On 6/25/2019 at 8:40 AM, Beau Vine said:

The current model of recruiting poor underprepared kids who have no business being in a college classroom and having them take just enough blowoff classes to keep them eligible for four seasons does wonders to avoid the "25 and broke" problem, so it would be a shame if California ruined that.   

So how about letting them go pro?

16 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Why is this stupid shit.  Fuck dude you don't posit ideas you just counter.   

I once had a guy in my upper-level class who was a management major.  Not only was he the first management major I had ever had in that class, but he was the only management major I had ever had in any class who was actually really smart.  So one day, I caught him before class and pulled him out into the hall to talk him into changing his major.

"Why are you a management major??!?"

"Because I'm in the army reserves, and I'm eligible for a free graduate officer training program as soon as I get an undergraduate degree and it doesn't matter what degree.  So I picked the major that I could finish the most quickly and the most easily."

And that's why "reap their profits upon graduation" is some stupid shit.  Do you think UT needs more football players majoring in "Physical Culture & Sport?"

Edited by Beau Vine

If you had any doubt about how the NCAA was going to respond to this, here's a hint -- the NCAA has absolutely zero respect for state laws:

N.C. State University is facing the possibility of significant NCAA sanctions and the stain of an FBI investigation because of possible recruiting violations involving former coaches, an agent, and at least one former star player. News & Observer reporters and editors think the public deserves to know more about what happened at this public institution. We agree.

N.C. State officials, however, don’t appear to be on board with that notion. They’ve collaborated with the NCAA to conceal potentially damaging information behind a confidentiality agreement they say forbids school officials from releasing records — potentially including public records that the university supplied to the NCAA. It’s a sneaky way to hide bad behavior, and it’s a tactic other schools have used. On Wednesday, in a potentially far-reaching lawsuit, the N&O and other media asked a Wake County Superior Court to put a stop to it.

Here’s how it works:

00:14 / 00:15 

Beginning in late 2017, reporters from the N&O and the Herald-Sun requested records from N.C. State regarding former men’s basketball coach Mark Gottfried and the recruitment of star freshman Dennis Smith. That recruitment was part of an FBI investigation that resulted in the arrest of 10 people, including sports agent Christian Dawkins, who allegedly contacted Gottfried and possibly two assistant coaches about Smith and another recruit, Brian Bowen. Among the records requested by the N&O’s Steve Wiseman and Dan Kane are communications from Gottfried and assistant coaches, including text messages and emails.

Explore where you live.

Subscribe for 12 FREE weeks of unlimited digital access.

SAVE NOW

N.C. State has provided a small number of the records requested, but in a July 2019 email, NCSU told Kane that many documents were only accessible on a protected NCAA portal. Said Fred Hartman, NCSU director of university relations: “The university does not have the ability to print, download or copy these documents and is thus unable to provide that content at this time.”

Those documents, however, apparently include public records. Why was the school now unable to provide them? According to NCSU, school officials entered into a “non-disclosure agreement” involving records in the portal, even if those records came from the university. In an August 27 email, Kane told the NCAA that documents considered public under North Carolina law should be exempted from the NCAA’s non-disclosure agreement. NCSU acknowledged receiving the email later that day, but it has not responded since.

The N&O, along with the Herald-Sun, WRAL, ABC 11 in Raleigh and the New York Times, are asking the court to declare what N.C. State officials already should know: Public records are public records. They’re not subject to private confidentiality agreements. They’re not something schools should be able to hide, regardless of whether they might lead to embarrassment or reporters digging even deeper. N.C. State might answer to the NCAA as a member institution, but it first should answer to a public that deserves to know how a men’s basketball program veered from the rules and how an athletic department allowed it to happen. Instead, we’re getting a shell game with public records. The court should put a stop to it.

• 2 months later...