Texas Spring Football Thread

Fud

11 hours ago, TexasMan said:

So Joel Klatt went on The Audible podcast, and he gave his thoughts when he visited Texas' spring camp (25:30) :

https://audioboom.com/posts/6811196-4-16-who-will-be-the-starting-quarterback-at-ohio-state-clemson-this-year-joel-klatt

tl;dl = said when he visited Texas' spring camp last year, that he saw they had a few really good players like Connor and Malik, but other than that they were nothing special. Then says from what he saw this spring camp and they are a changed team and vastly improved, to the point where he expects them to compete for the Big 12 title.

So normally i wouldn't pay this too much mind to this bozo, but Joel has taken any chance he can to throw jabs at the Horns ever since Drew Kelson almost decapitated him, so this has got me confused and wondering if his analysis is real.

because it never gets old

[video]

1 hour ago, Bevo14 said:

On paper, this is is the best overall team we've had since 2009. If the O-line doesn't suck, they should be able to win the conference and maybe go to the playoffs, but it's a little hard to believe after the last 8 years.

Hey, man, share the good stuff with the rest of us!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Anybody ripping on Klatt is a buffoon. He’s a good analyst and decidedly against the SEC bias and states as much. Some of the dipshits on these boards want nothing but burnt orange sunshine or they lose their shit. 

I give it about 60 days before the No Bitchassedness At All  crowd fires up the burnt orange hope wagon and shouts down anyone cautioning against wild expectations for the coming year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Thought I read somewhere that the rain on Saturday would hit early and move out in time for the Spring Game. More bullshit from phdhorn?

Current forecast for Saturday night: Scattered thunderstorms during the evening followed by occasional showers overnight. A few storms may be severe. Low 57F. S winds shifting to NW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

That is ... less than ideal. Hopefully the lightning will dissipate so they can play. 

3 hours ago, ChingoHorns said:

It shows 90% chance of rain for Saturday, any chance Herman cuts the scrimmage short/cancels like a few years back? 

No way. He made some type of comment last year that alluded to how ridiculous he thought it was to cut the Spring Game short the year before. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I give it about 60 days before the No Bitchassedness At All  crowd fires up the burnt orange hope wagon and shouts down anyone cautioning against wild expectations for the coming year. 

I won't shout anyone down, I'll just remember not to invite them over for parties. Unbridled hope isn't morally superior or anything, it's just more fun. Unless money is on the line, of course.

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Klatt actually talked about how much more impressive we looked this spring and thinks we're light years ahead of last year. I don't know why we're using this interview as an example of bias.

8 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I won't shout anyone down, I'll just remember not to invite them over for parties. Unbridled hope isn't morally superior or anything, it's just more fun. Unless money is on the line, of course.

Well the difference for me is that I am emotionally, physically, and psychologically incapable of mustering up any sort of kool aid laced enthusiasm. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeSatire, LLC said:

Well the difference for me is that I am emotionally, physically, and psychologically incapable of mustering up any sort of kool aid laced enthusiasm. 

If a third party looks at Texas and is optimistic, is it Kool-Aid? And this third party isn't selling subscriptions

5 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Klatt actually talked about how much more impressive we looked this spring and thinks we're light years ahead of last year. I don't know why we're using this interview as an example of bias.

I recall Kirk Herbstreet and the boys talking about the monster Strong was building in Austin.  Whatever.  I think 2019 is the year things come together for us. Still too many questions for us offensively on the field and under the headsets for me to get overly excited, we’re replacing the best player we had at every level of the defense and we won’t have an all world punter on campus this year.

18 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I chose to look at it realistically and reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised. 

8 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Moose out fro... wait a second. There's no warning any more. How the fuck am I supposed to explain away all the cynical negativity?!?!

3 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I recall Kirk Herbstreet and the boys talking about the monster Strong was building in Austin.  Whatever.  I think 2019 is the year things come together for us. Still too many questions for us offensively on the field and under the headsets for me to get overly excited, we’re replacing the best player we had at every level of the defense and we won’t have an all world punter on campus this year.

I chose to look at it realistically and reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised. 

I don't blame anyone for being emotionally scarred.

I just think we are too close to the situation to be objective either way. I'm just hoping for one of those exponential jumps in performance based on marginal improvement across the board. Year to year performance is hard to predict, which is why we're all full of shit. It annoys me that pessimists think they're less full of shit. It's just a different kind of shit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I don't blame anyone for being emotionally scarred.

I just think we are too close to the situation to be objective either way. I'm just hoping for one of those exponential jumps in performance based on marginal improvement across the board. Year to year performance is hard to predict, which is why we're all full of shit. It annoys me that pessimists think they're less full of shit. It's just a different kind of shit.

It’s just that the “pessimists” have been a shit ton more on point for the better part of a decade. 

If we make a jump it’ll be because the conference is cycling QB’s at all the major players. Which means we might sneak through league play and get shellacked in a bowl game against a worthy opponent. I don’t see this team being significantly improved this year, and people don’t realize how much we’re going to miss that punter. 

10 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Is this true though?  I'd argue Gary Johnson this year will be better than Malik last, in addition to big improvements out of Roach, Hager, Graham, McCulloch, and Charles O to minimize the loss of Poona.  Elliot was nails, but you gotta love the influx of DB talent that can play a ton this year in Sterns, Foster and Cook. *shrugs* 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Is this true though?  I'd argue Gary Johnson this year will be better than Malik last, in addition to big improvements out of Roach, Hager, Graham, McCulloch, and Charles O to minimize the loss of Poona.  Elliot was nails, but you gotta love the influx of DB talent that can play a ton this year in Sterns, Foster and Cook. *shrugs* 

I strongly believe our defense will be better than last year. And I hope our o line, qb, and rb's will marginally improve. 

1 minute ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

I’ll spot you Gary Johnson. Maybe Roach depending on his role. Every one else has yet to do it consistently on the field. You may have just ticked off a list of ravenous fuck lions. Or a bunch of Naashan Hughes facsimiles. 

Dont get me wrong. They’re excitingly talented and their potential is tantalizing.  Let’s see them perform against a live opponent for a game or two before just assuming they’re sure things. 

• Like 2

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

That's only because the team sucked, though, not because pessimism is inherently more accurate.

I didn’t imply that it was.  Just that they’ve been on point far more than the eternal dark horse conference champs brigade.  You might be surprised how many “pessimists” come around when there are fewer things to be pessimistic about. Pessimism isn’t more accurate. It’s also not permanent. 

I guess I'm surprised that you guys are all defining either yourselves or others as things like "pessimists" or "unbridled optimists" without explaining specifics around your expectations. I always tend to believe that I'm pretty optimistic and then I'm usually slapped in the face when I realize that there are true pollyannas among us who not only wholeheartedly believe we're on the verge of winning it all, but also think people like me are cancers on the program and negative nancys for calling for a record of something like 9-4. 

Just now, Bobby_Batronic said:

You might be surprised how many “pessimists” come around when there are fewer things to be pessimistic about.

Catch-22. There's nothing objective to be either optimistic or pessimistic about until the lights actually come on. Theoretically, guys who sucked previously should be improving in the offseason, but there's no way to know until they are playing guys in different colored jerseys.

Meanwhile, we get endless conversations about who is or isn't a "true fan" sandwiched in between calls to name the defense or dress them in dayglo tutus instead of traditional uniforms.

26 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I think 2019 is the year things come together for us. Still too many questions for us offensively on the field and under the headsets for me to get overly excited, we’re replacing the best player we had at every level of the defense and we won’t have an all world punter on campus this year.

I see where you're coming from, but I'm on the opposite end where I actually think 2018 is the year where we have a chance for things to come together because of the experience on defense and the transition years our conference opponents are going through.

I think 2019 is going to be limited because the lean 2017 class and the premature thinning out of the 2016 class is going to show through, while teams like OSU, TCU, and OU will be even better. That's why this upcoming season is absolutely crucial for the next 3-5 years of this program (more so than usual).

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

Catch-22. There's nothing objective to be either optimistic or pessimistic about until the lights actually come on. Theoretically, guys who sucked previously should be improving in the offseason, but there's no way to know until they are playing guys in different colored jerseys.

Meanwhile, we get endless conversations about who is or isn't a "true fan" sandwiched in between calls to name the defense or dress them in dayglo tutus instead of traditional uniforms.

Anyone questioning fandom squats to pee and has a micro peen. Naming the defense, however, is important shit.

I think 2019 may be the year it all comes together with a restocked, experienced roster, and Herman’s program reaching maturity. That’s a realistic take given our previous 4 years of .500ish ball, and some underwhelming members of the coaching staff.  

I could see the right mix of breaks going our way, improvement on offense, everyone on defense living up to the hype and our surviving the loss of hidden yardage from Dickson and our making the conference title game. But I’d put that on the fringes of probability. 

15 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It’s just that the “pessimists” have been a shit ton more on point for the better part of a decade. 

If we make a jump it’ll be because the conference is cycling QB’s at all the major players. Which means we might sneak through league play and get shellacked in a bowl game against a worthy opponent. I don’t see this team being significantly improved this year, and people don’t realize how much we’re going to miss that punter. 

That may be true, but every year had different context and we have new coaches trying new things. If you can't entertain the idea that a college team improves beyond your expectations, then I'm not sure how you go through this every year. It happens a lot around the country. If you had as good a grasp on this stuff as you think you do, then I think you should visit a sports book.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I see where you're coming from, but I'm on the opposite end where I actually think 2018 is the year where we have a chance for things to come together because of the experience on defense and the transition years our conference opponents are going through.

I think 2019 is going to be limited because the lean 2017 class and the premature thinning out of the 2016 class is going to show through, while teams like OSU, TCU, and OU will be even better. That's why this upcoming season is absolutely crucial for the next 3-5 years of this program (more so than usual).

A fair take. Hope your right. I would like to see the kind of recruiting Herman can do with the momentum of a resurgent Texas football program behind him. 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't know, man. I know the 2017 class wasn't especially deep with 17 guys, but it's a very productive class. Sadly, under Mack or Chuckles, we'd take 25 and pray that 10+ would eventually start. The 2018 class doesn't have a reach on it. I think a bunch of that group will play this year. Pepper in some grad transfers and experience at QB and you've got a chance to look pretty solid in 2019. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

That may be true, but every year had different context and we have new coaches trying new things. If you can't entertain the idea that a college team improves beyond your expectations, then I'm not sure how you go through this every year. It happens a lot around the country. If you had as good a grasp on this stuff as you think you do, then I think you should visit a sports book.

I posted above that I reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised. But I’m not going to count on it. And even if every player improvement comes to fruition we still have 3 utter liabilities on the offensive coaching staff. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

I don't know, man. I know the 2017 class wasn't especially deep with 17 guys, but it's a very productive class. Sadly, under Mack or Chuckles, we'd take 25 and pray that 10+ would eventually start. The 2018 class doesn't have a reach on it. I think a bunch of that group will play this year. Pepper in some grad transfers and experience at QB and you've got a chance to look pretty solid in 2019. 

stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I hope so. I'm still not sure whether the class is productive by necessity or whether they're actually really good players.

I guess the counterpoint to my previous statement is that if we do end up playing well in 2018, we'll pull in some nationally elite 2019 kids who have a chance to come in and play immediately, like the De'Gabriel Floyds of this world.