Texas Spring Football Thread

Fud

We've already seen how our defense can play without Elliott, Hill, and Malik and it knocked Mizzou on its ass. That was with Dickson (MVP) and Poona, but without an offseason of development. 

DBs: We saw a lot of improvement over the course of the season. Less blown coverages, several guys making big individual strides, etc. I think Jones will pick up where he left off at the end of the season and be very good. Maybe not elite or a Thorpe finalist, but a strength nonetheless. Boyd should be really good as well. We have a lot of talent for the rest of the spots and I bet Orlando will get it aligned.  

LBs: Depth is the real issue. This group won't be as good as GJ + Malik was, but let's not forget that Johnson was one of those guys that really came on as the season went along. At the beginning of the season the group was good even with just Malik as a superstar. I'd say we can expect next season's performance to be about where it was at the beginning of last season, which was nothing to complain about. But if GJ goes down then who knows. The big unknown is Roach. 

DL: Poona is a big loss. On the one hand, it could really hurt our run defense, but on the other I think we have the talent on the back end to load the box and commit to stopping the run if needed, like what Georgia did during the comeback in the Rose Bowl. Hager and Omenihu both seem really primed to break out and that might be enouugh against the Big 12. 

The defense is good enough for double digit wins and a run at a conference title. We'd need significant progress on offense to get there but that's nothing more than a dream until it happens, so I'm thinking 8 wins minimum expectation, 9 wins for my prediction, and hoping for 10. 

Looking at losses from last season, if we beat the teams we should (Maryland and Tech), that gets us to 9. The 4 'good' teams we lost to (USC, OU, OSU, TCU) all lost big pieces this year. We should be able to take at least one of those. I got burned on that last year, but I'm still buying the idea. The caveat to this is that WVU will be better, we'll probably lose once to a team shouldn't, and our bowl opponent will be different.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I hope so. I'm still not sure whether the class is productive by necessity or whether they're actually really good players.

I guess the counterpoint to my previous statement is that if we do end up playing well in 2018, we'll pull in some nationally elite 2019 kids who have a chance to come in and play immediately, like the De'Gabriel Floyds of this world.

Just another gangbanger with speed, or 5-6 of them, if you will. Yes, it would be nice to land a few like that. 

The 2017 class is legitimately good.

-Sam Ehlinger has legitimate talent, he's just an idiot.

-Carter is fine as a program back at a place like Texas.

-They're excited about Taquon Graham.

-Gary Johnson is a stud (albeit irrelevant to 2019).

-Estell - we'll see but they like him.

-Josh Thompson was wanted by plenty of other legit schools and he's going to start this year.

-Reese Laitao - we'll see but they like him.

-Bimage - we'll see.

-Kobe Boyce has a chance to start or play meaningful minutes this year in a packed DB depth chart.

-Kerstetter will be a 4 year starter, playing various positions on the OL. He played as a freshman out of necessity, but he's a good find.

-Daniel Young is a stud and they knew it when they had him committed at UH. 

-Early thoughts on Pouncey are that he's a player who will be a part of the rotation as a redshirt freshman.

-Cade Brewer was a product of poor depth as a freshman, but I don't hear anyone worrying about whether or not he can play.

-Cosmi is someone they're really high on, as we all know. 

-Cummins, Chisholm and Rowland are transition class guys that I wouldn't categorize as typical Texas material, but for all of the takes like these under Brown, Strong, and those before them dating back up to DKR. 

I think it's a pretty phenomenal class, given the circumstances. It reminds me of the 2006 class in terms of potential hit rate versus size. 6 of these guys have already started a game after year 1, 4 more will likely do so this year, and others have played/will play meaningful snaps. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Start a poll. My own way too early prediction is 9 wins plus a bowl win. I'm still trying to decide whether that means I'm an optimist or a pessimist.

If we're talking way too early, I'm at 7+1 / 8 + 0 right now and I tend to be on the center-pessimist end of the spectrum.

IT Practice report - 4/17/18

It was professor appreciation day at the Denius Fields as some of the men and women who help change the world were able to see what some of their students do on the football field.

-The viewing portion didn't contain a lot of team stuff, but I was able to get a sense of the pecking order at a couple of different positions this deep into spring ball based on the order players went through drills.

-One detail I noticed was with the offensive linemen. In one particular drill it was Okafor - Hudson - Shackelford - Rodriguez - Kerstetter. The second line had a very intriguing change, but one of the major aspects of the position was missing. Line two was Cosmi - Rison (w-o) - Vahe - Imade - Urquidez. Despite Vahe being lined up between the guards, he was not snapping the football for each rep like Shackelford was with the first group. He simply had his hand in the dirt, and would fire off against Shackelford in the drill. There are only 11 o-linemen available with Austin Allsup and Ishan Rison the only two walk-ons currently with the position group.

-Lil'Jordan Humphrey was working solely with the slot receivers, working with Corby Meekins and the other inside guys. Previously in the spring, it seemed that Meekins and Drew Mehringer had split the wide receiver group in the media session based on age. Now, it looks as if Meekins has drawn the inside guys, Mehringer has the outside guys.

-After Humphrey, Jerrod Heard repped second, Jordan Pouncey third, and walk-on Philipp Moeller fourth.

-On the boundary, Collin Johnson repped in front of Brennan Eagles. On the field side, Devin Duvernay went first, John Burt second, and Davion Curtis third.

-In individual drills, Kris Boyd and Kobe Boyce were in the first group with the corners, followed by Anthony Cook and Eric Cuffee. Donovan Duvernay and walk-on Chase Moore were third.

-Safeties in individual drills ran John Bonney and Brandon Jones, followed by BJ Foster and Chris Brown, then Caden Sterns and JarMarquis Durst third. Only two safeties were in the drill at a time as opposed to pursuit where three or four are on the field at one time.

-PJ Locke and Davante Davis were not working in drills. I didn't get to see if they were with the rest of those working through injuries or not at practice at all. Chris Nelson remained in a green jersey. He did not take a rep while the offensive and defensive lines were working against each other.

-In that offensive line versus defensive line drill, two linemen were tasked with blocking a defensive lineman and a linebacker. Rodriguez received snaps at center in this drill, and Vahe practiced at his familiar position of left guard. Hudson was working in full contact at LG during this line versus line battle. Charles Omenihu broke into the backfield several times. The defense won most of the reps.

-Across the field from me, tight ends and running backs were working on pass pro against linebackers. The wins seemed split from my vantage point.

Well the difference for me is that I am emotionally, physically, and psychologically incapable of mustering up any sort of kool aid laced enthusiasm. 
This is where I'm at. I'm cheering win or lose, but no matter how syrupy sweet the kool-aid is this off season I'm not buying. Show me on the field on Saturdays and Thursday (if applicable).