Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Machinator

2 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

TCU was late to offer him because he's only played QB and they wanted to see him catching the ball.  I guess they finally saw him in 7v7 or something and made the offer.  We're about a month behind UT and tOSU though.  Nebraska has offered him a chance to play QB so that may give them an advantage although I haven't seen anything that would indicate he's favoring anyone at this point.

Up until this year played QB at a private high school in Midland.  Very athletic, but you have to wonder about the level of competition as far as playing QB is concerned.  Not suggesting he's headed to Tech, but he really focused on its proximity to home in a recent interview.  Who knows, could have just been lip service tho.

That said, with him being a Midlander until recently, it's a lot more of a Tech town than is Odessa.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Interesting take for UCLA: https://247sports.com/Player/Chase-Griffin-87241

Hutto has several guys that are going to end up playing D1 right now and Griffin is a smart kid. I don't know where they stand with Daniels but that might get really interesting. I wonder if UCLA will take a longer look at Chux? I know he's small but he'd probably be a nightmare in Chip's offense. Plus, his dad is training an assload of guys that are going P5. 

Bama with at least 5 OV this weekend. Some very familiar names :: 

Daxton Hill, 5-star S, Tulsa (Okla.) Booker T. Washington

The nation’s No. 1 safety is making his second trip back to Tuscaloosa after attending A-Day in April. Hill, the younger brother of Oklahoma State running back Justice Hill, is trending to Oklahoma on the 247Sports Crystal Ball, but it’s clear the Tide has him thinking. UA head coach Nick Saban contacted Hill from the NFL Draft, and the elite defensive back has made it known he wishes to play at a program that can develop him for the NFL. The trip this weekend marks Hill’s first official visit. He has mentioned wanting to make a commitment in the summer. Alabama could certainly take a big step forward, more so than it already has, for Hill this weekend.

Nakobe Dean, 5-star ILB, Horn Lake (Miss.)

The nation’s No. 1 inside linebacker is arguably the Tide’s biggest priority on defense. Dean is coming off a pair of unofficial visits to Texas A&M and Georgia in the last week. Like Hill, the official visit to Tuscaloosa is his first of his allotted five. UGA has been a hot pick as of late after he visited campus with his mother last month. Dean’s mom recently told BOL she has no favorites and that she sees good situations everywhere she goes. This weekend will allow Dean’s mother to see more of the academic side of Alabama, something she’s expressed she wishes to do. The family is very tight with inside linebackers coach Pete Golding. Right now it looks like Alabama, Georgia, and Texas A&M are the three main contenders talking with people close to the recruitment. Dean, however, is nowhere near ready to make a decision.

DeMarvin Leal, 4-star DT, Converse (Texas) Judson — Texas A&M commit

Alabama and Texas A&M had a notable recruiting battle for a four-star defensive lineman last cycle in Bobby Brown, who ultimately chose the Aggies. We haven’t heard too much about Leal up until the last few weeks, but it’s clear there’s mutual interest here. Rated the No. 4 defensive tackle and the No. 52 overall player in the country, Leal committed to Texas A&M in April but has continued listening to other programs, notably Alabama and Texas. Could the Tide get the ball rolling in its favor for the 6-foot-4, 280-pounder?

John Metchie, 4-star WR, Hagerstown (Md.) St. James School —

Alabama and Penn State look to be in the best shape for Metchie at this stage in his recruitment. Rated the No. 42 wide receiver in the nation, Metchie is trending to the Nittany Lions on the 247Sports Crystal Ball, but the Tide has picked up a prediction in the last month. If any of the five recruits taking official visits this weekend were on “commit watch,” it would be Metchie.

Jahleel Billingsley, 4-star TE, Chicago (Ill.) Phillips Academy —

Florida looked on the verge of landing the four-star tight end last month after a visit to Gainesville when he named UF his leader. Prior to that Illinois looked like it held an advantage. However, Billingsley has decided to continue looking at options, with Alabama coming up next. The Tide offered last month and does not yet hold a commitment from a tight end, which is a position where UA will likely take two prospects.

9 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

This kid is going to wind up marrying a Showgirl.  By the way, he's also a 3 time 6A state wrestling champ.  Won state as a freshman, as soph (190 lbs class) and junior (220 lbs class). 

So he wrestles... and he frosts his hair...

just sayin

• Like 1

Tech gets a commitment from massive OL Trevor Roberson.  Had 19 offers including offers from Norte Dame, USC, Ark., Nebraska , A&M, TCU, etc.  According, to Rivals, Georgia as well, but who knows?  He's listed at 6-11 and 345 lbs.  

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Article/7-foot-OT-Trevor-Roberson-Commits-to-Texas-Tech-Football-119059915/

2 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

Tech had a damn good week in recruiting.  They went from having only 2 commits a week ago to 9 as of today.  Most of them may not have any other P5 offers but the top 4 guys are pretty nice recruits with good offer lists.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

Holy shit.  They signed the 6'11 OT

Bama got a verbal from 4* DE from GA that was out of nowhere ::

https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Eboigbe-46041116

Reading the Bama boards it appears Leal may not have a spot, or will be kept on a slow burn for a late flip. 

This note from their DL recruiting thread cracked me up ::

Pickering visited Tuscaloosa last week for the first time since October of last season. The four-star defensive end’s mother says she would have committed if she were him during the trip. The nation’s No. 4 strong-side defensive end, however, is taking his time. Alabama is certainly in his top group

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Bama got a verbal from 4* DE from GA that was out of nowhere ::

https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Eboigbe-46041116

Reading the Bama boards it appears Leal may not have a spot, or will be kept on a slow burn for a late flip. 

This note from their DL recruiting thread cracked me up ::

I saw a Bama insider say that Bama thinks Leal stays closer to home 

They're in on a ton of top DL in this class though 

4 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

Tech had a damn good week in recruiting.  They went from having only 2 commits a week ago to 9 as of today.  Most of them may not have any other P5 offers but the top 4 guys are pretty nice recruits with good offer lists.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

For better or worse, as of this afternoon TT now has10 commitments.  Got a commitment from a Temple DB (Markel Reed) who shows offers from Ark, Baylor, Vandy, Purdue, Kansas State and Boise. Far from earth shattering but decent.

As you suggest, the "have not" group you allude to largely have a decent number of offers,  but not major ones.  A few UH and Utah types in the group or worse.

What would be a nice one for Tech still supposedly very much imminent.

4 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

aggy says you're doing the SEC thing wrong, despite your 80-year headstart

Fuck that nonsense. I only have contempt for most other teams in the conference. I do have a little soft spot for MissSt and Vandy. I am neutral on LSU, yes they are a yearly game, they consider us a rival but they make some damned fine tailgating food and will share it with those that can get past the tigah bait chant. Fuck the rest of the SEC West and couldn't care less about the rest of the East, except fuck the Vols and I hope UK eventually breaks the streak vs UF.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Fuck that nonsense. I only have contempt for most other teams in the conference. I do have a little soft spot for MissSt and Vandy. I am neutral on LSU, yes they are a yearly game, they consider us a rival but they make some damned fine tailgating food and will share it with those that can get past the tigah bait chant. Fuck the rest of the SEC West and couldn't care less about the rest of the East, except fuck the Vols and I hope UK eventually breaks the streak vs UF.

This is how a blue blood views conference mates.