Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Machinator

3 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

Noticed where he's a 4 star in some corners.  Still valid, maybe not, but offer list shows offers from A&M and OU among others. While his commitment was anticipated, still a nice get by Kliffy.

He missed all of last year.  IT is pretty high on him.

Hmmm, so Demtric Warren just crystal balled 5* Safety Dax Hill to Michigan.  Does this kid just not like OUsucks?  Seems odd a 5* from Oklahoma isn't a lock to them.

He’s not going to OSU because they suck and his family ties to that program are preventing him from going to OU. Basically a compromise by going oos.

32 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hmmm, so Demtric Warren just crystal balled 5* Safety Dax Hill to Michigan.  Does this kid just not like OUsucks?  Seems odd a 5* from Oklahoma isn't a lock to them.

His brother plays at Okie State, so maybe he just doesn't like OU

Bama seems confident on this one 

On 7/30/2018 at 10:04 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Patterson is a dick. Any coach like that is going to rub some players the wrong way.

Holden Steele
I’ve been trying to tell recruits this for years. The guy treats his players like cattle.
Edited by Tired of Lurking

Good for him. I believe he was ranked in the teens at DT-QB when he made his commitment and then continued to rise. Kudos for staying committed for as long as he has, but good teams are gonna be after him now.

Trey Palmer is committed to LSU, and Dean and Cine have gotten recent CB's to Georgia because of course they have. Ugh, gonna be hard breaking through those pro-quality teams.

Edited by Tired of Lurking

On 7/30/2018 at 9:25 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

He's not some scrub bench warmer with an axe to grind. He had three scores against Stanford  Harvard of the West. 

Not a great look for TCU, but we're not really in a position to talk after the Charlie Strong's Son in Law publicly whined on Twitter. 

He's bitter because he's not getting any NFL looks and he doesn't think he was used in a way that would put in a better position to make the league.   He apparently doesn't realize that he's 5'6" 160 lbs on a good day. I don't think this has anything to do with Gary being too hard on the players in practice.  He is pretty tough on his guys but he coaches defense and mostly leaves the offense alone unless there's a turnover.  I was told this by one of the offensive coaches.  I think this has to do more with the kid being disappointed in his career being over and looking for someone to blame.   

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:00 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

not everybody aspires to be a cockeating assclown

TCU got a commit from 3* safety Josh Foster last night.  Foster picked TCU over Arky, Utah and Baylor.  Foster played QB and safety on Newton, Tx's 3A state championship team.  He will be another small town east Texas QB to plug into GP's defense.  Foster is one of three 2019 D-1 recruits from Newton and the Frogs look to be in a pretty good position with the other two as well with 100% of the crystal ball picks for 4* CB/WR Tamuzia Brown and 80% for Darwin Barlow (28th ranked RB and #53 ranked player in Tx).

https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Foster-46037136

https://247sports.com/Player/Tamauzia-Brown-94118

https://247sports.com/Player/Darwin-Barlow-46036294

18 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

TCU got a commit from 3* safety Josh Foster last night.  Foster picked TCU over Arky, Utah and Baylor.  Foster played QB and safety on Newton, Tx's 3A state championship team.  He will be another small town east Texas QB to plug into GP's defense.  Foster is one of three 2019 D-1 recruits from Newton and the Frogs look to be in a pretty good position with the other two as well with 100% of the crystal ball picks for 4* CB/WR Tamuzia Brown and 80% for Darwin Barlow (28th ranked RB and #53 ranked player in Tx).

https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Foster-46037136

https://247sports.com/Player/Tamauzia-Brown-94118

https://247sports.com/Player/Darwin-Barlow-46036294

Apparently the Newton kids, especially Brown, are really talented, but there's some kind of handler around the school that's scaring the bigger programs away. 

Still, great get if you can neutralize the off-field stuff.

On 8/4/2018 at 1:46 PM, Skyline said:

https://247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Article/Source-WVU-welcomes-linebacker-transfer-from-Alabama-120384387/

LB VanDarius Cowen transferred from Bama to WVU. He's a head case, but really talented. 

Kicked off his HS team. Kicked off Bama. Third time’s a charm!

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He said he wanted to move closer to home to be with his family.

His family lives in Nevada.

Yeah, the Huskies on reddit are going nuts over this. Although, Bama was one of his finalists originally. Also, he could be one of Tua's 10,000 cousins. They think it is all Lupoi's doing, they said he got caught giving a small amount of cash to one of their recruits, when he was with them. Who knows. If he is, as long as he isn't beating up women or covering for domestic abuse/rape, then I do not give a flying fuck. I used to care about those things until I saw the shit that went down at PSU, then Baylor, then MSU and now tOSU. Paying a player does not even faze me anymore.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Yeah, the Huskies on reddit are going nuts over this. Although, Bama was one of his finalists originally. Also, he could be one of Tua's 10,000 cousins. They think it is all Lupoi's doing, they said he got caught giving a small amount of cash to one of their recruits, when he was with them. Who knows. If he is, as long as he isn't beating up women or covering for domestic abuse/rape, then I do not give a flying fuck. I used to care about those things until I saw the shit that went down at PSU, then Baylor, then MSU and now tOSU. Paying a player does not even faze me anymore.

It's about time you come around to this line of thinking since sec/bama has been paying cruits and even getting hand slaps all along. Trent Richardson reset the pay scale for Saban.

I do agree that paying for a recruit is nothing vs. beating women and raping boys/women. Still illegal, at least in our league.

14 minutes ago, Goodman said:

It's about time you come around to this line of thinking since sec/bama has been paying cruits and even getting hand slaps all along. Trent Richardson reset the pay scale for Saban.

I do agree that paying for a recruit is nothing vs. beating women and raping boys/women. Still illegal, at least in our league.

Even if they have been paying them all along, I doubt they are outbidding anybody else. They could bid the same as most anybody else and get them due to all the other benefits of playing there. Facilities, blueblood status, history of Saban putting players in the league, etc.

15 minutes ago, Goodman said:

It's in your DNA, like ou and aggie. History tell us so, did Albert Means not happen? Please tell me you do not believe that was an isolated event. 

Of course it was not an isolated event. It was likely far bigger than most others, as it drew the attention that it did. I know for a fact that boosters have been giving the $100 handshakes for years. I have heard it firsthand, at booster meetings. I think almost every program has those. It is when they do something like Means or like Cam at AU or Bush at USC, that it gets to be ridiculous. I don't think Saban has anything to do with any of it, as I have heard him speak at events and he firmly told us not to be contacting recruits. That does not stop them from doing shady stuff but it is not directed from him. He honestly does not need to do that. In fact, he purposefully goes after the players without any diva in them. Those are usually the ones that are wanting to get paid to play. Still, a few divas do get through the cracks. Sometimes, even if the player is not one, they have family that are sticking their hands out.

16 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Of course it was not an isolated event. It was likely far bigger than most others, as it drew the attention that it did. I know for a fact that boosters have been giving the $100 handshakes for years. I have heard it firsthand, at booster meetings. I think almost every program has those. It is when they do something like Means or like Cam at AU or Bush at USC, that it gets to be ridiculous. I don't think Saban has anything to do with any of it, as I have heard him speak at events and he firmly told us not to be contacting recruits. That does not stop them from doing shady stuff but it is not directed from him. He honestly does not need to do that. In fact, he purposefully goes after the players without any diva in them. Those are usually the ones that are wanting to get paid to play. Still, a few divas do get through the cracks. Sometimes, even if the player is not one, they have family that are sticking their hands out.

That was a major plot point in Pony Excess - that SMU's final coach in their heyday was too dumb and sloppy to keep a wall of ignorance/plausible deniability between himself and the boosters. Saban is much smarter (and I'm fine with that - I thought peak Ole Miss was fun as shit, too).

• Like 1

I mean, it may very well be that this new kid or his family might be getting a little "help", then again, it may be 100% on the up and up. I just don't think every time a player goes somewhere he was not expected to go, that it means something shady had to happen. One of my favorite examples was Dre Kirkpatrick. Everyone made a big deal when they saw him driving a two year old Dodge Charger. His mother was a RN at Gadsden Regional Medical Center, the same place my niece was working at the time.My niece had three kids that are from an AA father who skipped out on them. The oldest, named Cameron, of all names, just turned 16 recently. She made him a deal, he will basically be responsible for his little sister and brother, when she is not around and she bought him a 2016 Nissan Rogue, which she bought for 18k cash in hand. Her 5 year old Suburban is also paid for, her house(in a lower-middle class neighborhood), she is still making payments.

20 minutes ago, bamachine said:

I mean, it may very well be that this new kid or his family might be getting a little "help", then again, it may be 100% on the up and up. I just don't think every time a player goes somewhere he was not expected to go, that it means something shady had to happen. One of my favorite examples was Dre Kirkpatrick. Everyone made a big deal when they saw him driving a two year old Dodge Charger. His mother was a RN at Gadsden Regional Medical Center, the same place my niece was working at the time.My niece had three kids that are from an AA father who skipped out on them. The oldest, named Cameron, of all names, just turned 16 recently. She made him a deal, he will basically be responsible for his little sister and brother, when she is not around and she bought him a 2016 Nissan Rogue, which she bought for 18k cash in hand. Her 5 year old Suburban is also paid for, her house(in a lower-middle class neighborhood), she is still making payments.

Let's be clear here - Bama is an industry leader when it comes to paying players, and they always have been. It's woven into the program's DNA and the criminal's creed of "I gots to get mine because errbody else out there gettin' theirs too" has been mantra with your base for decades. Saban's machine is far more advanced than the days of Mike Dubose or Fran, but yeah, cheating is part of the program's identity. 

To those points, Tosh Lupoi is flat out a bag man. If he's on a recruit, it's dirty. Bama has other guys to handle the clean shit. Lupoi transacted with Slick Willie last summer and Waddle never actually waivered. TAMU came in strong at the end but the deal was already done and many folks learned new lessons. 

Just do us a favor, since we've all been on Shaggy/Surly together for a very long time - spare us the equivocating and the feigning of ignorance. You know your program cheats like a motherfucker, you know sometimes the prices hit the 6 figures, and you know Lupoi is a piece of human shit with no moral compass and a documented history of behavior to support that. Do us that solid, and we'll spare you the condescension and preaching that used to come with this stuff when guys like me thought there was some hope of integrity being maintained in the recruiting game. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Let's be clear here - Bama is an industry leader when it comes to paying players, and they always have been. It's woven into the program's DNA and the criminal's creed of "I gots to get mine because errbody else out there gettin' theirs too" has been mantra with your base for decades. Saban's machine is far more advanced than the days of Mike Dubose or Fran, but yeah, cheating is part of the program's identity. 

To those points, Tosh Lupoi is flat out a bag man. If he's on a recruit, it's dirty. Bama has other guys to handle the clean shit. Lupoi transacted with Slick Willie last summer and Waddle never actually waivered. TAMU came in strong at the end but the deal was already done and many folks learned new lessons. 

Just do us a favor, since we've all been on Shaggy/Surly together for a very long time - spare us the equivocating and the feigning of ignorance. You know your program cheats like a motherfucker, you know sometimes the prices hit the 6 figures, and you know Lupoi is a piece of human shit with no moral compass and a documented history of behavior to support that. Do us that solid, and we'll spare you the condescension and preaching that used to come with this stuff when guys like me thought there was some hope of integrity being maintained in the recruiting game. 

I said it above, I know some of this shit goes on. I have personally heard from the horse's mouth, from other boosters, of the $100 handshakes(FYI, that does not mean just $100, just means accidentally bumping into a player and slipping them a envelope with cash in it). I honestly did not know that much about Lupoi until this kid, when the Husky fans went apeshit and I read up on his dealings. FWIW, I do not pay that much attention to recruiting. I have posted more in this thread, today, than I have in total on this section since I joined the Shag(now Surly). I would hope that Saban would put a lid on that shit. He can't do it with the boosters, nobody can shut that shit down but you can take care that your guys in house don't do stupid shit. Just like when he hired Sark, he told him stay away from the booze or you are done, no third chance, you are already on your second chance.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Hilarious that you so badly want to believe that Saban doesn't know what's happening. Obviously he doesn't officially know but you want to believe that means he's clean.

Where did I state that he is ignorant of these type things happening. I said he told us not to do it and he very likely does not want any officials with the school involved in any way. That is the way you get hammered. He is smarter than that.

You just said you hope he'll put a lid on Tupoi. Why in the world do you think he hired the guy in the first place? He hired him specifically because he knows what the guy is about. Saban is a bit more plugged into college recruiting than bamachine on surly.

Saban saw what happened when he was on an even playing field in terms of talent acquisition in the NFL. He doesn't tolerate the shenanigans, he requires them.

And yes, Saban absolutely could put a stop to booster payments, too, but that thought will never even cross his mind.

Saban has also fired a very good recruiter and position coach, for lying to the NCAA(and Saban) about breaking the bump rule. He has given several questionable guys a second chance, see Kiffin, Sark, Locksley, the kid from UGA(that he kicked out as soon as he was accused again, even though the accuser later recanted).

There is no comparison between the college game and the NFL, so don't try to make that argument. Hell, if he had gotten what he wanted, in Drew Brees(the doctors told him he would never recover), he may not have failed at that level, he was only there two years anyway. He improved them in his first year. Guess what, Landry did not start out too well, neither did Belichick or most any legendary NFL coach. We have zero idea if he would have turned it around. I doubt he would have, as he hated the job. (insert your reasoning here).

No coach in history can stop all the booster shenanigans. They can make them be more "on the sly" about their dealings, so exact details do not get back to them. FWIW, I have not heard nearly as much bragging about the handshakes as when Shula was still the coach. Does not mean it has stopped, just that they are being more careful.

4 hours ago, bamachine said:

Lot of he said, she said, what have yous, so and so but the decommit from the Huskies, mentioned above, just committed to Bama.

I haven't read any other comments in this thread but this entire ordeal is fishy. From what I've read, Kaho asked out of his release at Washington because of issues at home. It sounded like Kaho was going to sit out the year and deal with said family issues. Now a few days later he picks Alabama and he's immediately eligible? 

I know Alabama was in the running in Kaho's initial recruitment but this screams Alabama recruiting players off other rosters. 

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 

6 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I haven't read any other comments in this thread but this entire ordeal is fishy. From what I've read, Kaho asked out of his release at Washington because of issues at home. It sounded like Kaho was going to sit out the year and deal with said family issues. Now a few days later he picks Alabama and he's immediately eligible? 

I know Alabama was in the running in Kaho's initial recruitment but this screams Alabama recruiting players off other rosters. 

If they have been contacting him, they should be punished. Now, he may have been contacting them, which I think is OK by the rules, even if it is not a good look.

On 8/8/2018 at 7:16 PM, texasstrong12 said:

His name is Tosh Lupoi.

What’s that? Kaho is an islander? You don’t say.