Country Western Appreciation

Errestaurants

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I grew up with country music. I will drop some 70s or 80s country music bars out of the blue at a moment's notice. I weep for what has become of that rich culture.

This video might not belong here, but it might make you appreciate more the truly good music that's been posted here. It's also just run-of-the-mill interesting.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Even if you don't know the name, you know his songs.

Sanger D. “Whitey” Shafer was born in Whitney, Texas, where he first played in school bands. After touring the country with a then-unknown Willie Nelson, he moved to Nashville in 1967 intending to make it as a singer. However, it was his songs that caught the country music establishment’s ear, and before long he was scoring hits with George Jones (“Tell Me My Lying Eyes Are Wrong”), Moe Bandy (“Bandy the Rodeo Clown”), Keith Whitley (“I Wonder Do You Think of Me”) and Johnny Rodriguez and Merle Haggard (“That’s the Way Love Goes,” co-written with Shafer’s pal Lefty Frizzell). He also wrote two of George Strait’s iconic hits: “Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind” and “All My Ex’s Live in Texas,” both number ones and both nominated for CMA “Song of the Year” awards.

Edited by Seasick Sailor

• 4 weeks later...

So many good songs posted here. Could spend a solid month listening. Here are a few of mine, with thoughts:

Wasn't a huge Loretta Lynn fan, but her songs were real, which is why a lot of modern country falls short, IMHO. They're singing about a life they didn't really live.

First concert I remember going to was a Buck Owens concert with my dad

There have been a lot of great versions of Orange Blossom Special, but my favorite has always been Don Rich's version. There's no improvisation, it's just the cleanest version I've ever heard. 

Time seems to pass so fast now. Seems crazy that Wagon Wheel was put out fifteen years ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Every time I see those outfits I think of Junior Browns slidecastor, doing Highway Patrol.

I love that guy. He might have become more popular, except he didn't fit neatly into any category. BTW, don't know who the backup guitarist is in this clip, but she's kinda hot.

• 1 month later...