2020 UFC/MMA thread

ss13

6 minutes ago, hundredTT said:

what a kick! You heard that scream from Harris. 

It’s a humanizing thing to see. I feel like everyone has been hit really good in the solar plexus at least one time, and it is the worst possible feeling. The way these guys play it off most of the time is crazy to me. 

6 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It’s a humanizing thing to see. I feel like everyone has been hit really good in the solar plexus at least one time, and it is the worst possible feeling. The way these guys play it off most of the time is crazy to me. 

had an instructor dig his fucking heel into mine when he did a spinning backkick .  i was curled up in a ball for about 5 minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Given just how in form and high level Gaethje is and how emotionally crippling it must have been without his father, that might have been the most impressive performance of Khabib's career. Just walked through him like a lion attacking a gazelle. Gonna miss watching his fights since I first saw him give Barboza the thousand yard stare. Sucks that he's done but can't blame him. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

so....who the fuck fights for the vacant title now? 

1,3,4,5 all lost their last LW match.   conor does not deserve to sniff it.

PLEASE let Do Bronx oliveira have his shot

I imagine it’ll be Gaethje v winner of Porier/Connor because a Connor title fight will always put Him at the front of the line. Shit they might just make that fight the title fight. I think Gaethje has to be part of it because of he was the interm champ, but who knows.

so....who the fuck fights for the vacant title now? 

1,3,4,5 all lost their last LW match.   conor does not deserve to sniff it.

PLEASE let Do Bronx oliveira have his shot

Would not shock me one bit if they did the Dustin/Conor fight for title lol. Dana already said that fight makes no sense at 170.

Before the fight, Dana said he had a "big surprise" to announce.  After the fight, when asked about the surprised, he coyly brushed it off.

Also following the event, Ariel immediately phoned GSP for a 30 minute video interview.  Ariel pressed him a few times about the possibility of a Khabib match, and in as friendly and honest manner as is possible for GSP, he all but gave away the hint that that was originally planned.

All my betting money says that had Khabib not retired in the octagon, Dana would've gifted him the match on the spot. 

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Brutal sport. Apparently he broke it in the first round blocking one of Whittaker’s kicks in the first round. I know this has happened to several fighters, but I can’t even imagine what that would be like. 

took away his blocking, took away his jab and setup... and he didnt complain.  what a fucking trooper.  not a knock against whittaker but now you have to imagine What If...

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

took away his blocking, took away his jab and setup... and he didnt complain.  what a fucking trooper.  not a knock against whittaker but now you have to imagine What If...

I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often. I feel like it lands flush on the forearm pretty often. I would think that would break it.

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often. I feel like it lands flush on the forearm pretty often. I would think that would break it.

supposedly he blocked kick while his arm was extended, rather than tucked up against the head for some absorption

Speaking of broken arms, DC says Khabib did Justin a favor. 

Khabib Nurmagomedov closed out his MMA career in style Saturday with a victory and, according to his teammate, an act of compassion.

Nurmagomedov successfully defended his UFC lightweight championship by finishing Justin Gaethje with a second-round triangle. He used that submission rather than the armbar he initially had set up, American Kickboxing Academy training partner Daniel Cormier said on Monday, because Nurmagomedov did not want to injure Gaethje in front of Gaethje's parents.

"He told me when he was watching the interviews over the course of the week, he saw that Justin said that he would never tap," Cormier, who was an analyst on the UFC 254 telecast, told ESPN's Ariel Helwani on the DC & Helwani program. "He was going to do the armbar, but he had heard Justin saying all week that he would never tap, and he didn't want to hurt him in front of his parents. So he went to the triangle and just kind of put him to sleep."

A fighter who does not tap out while stuck in an armbar or other joint manipulation runs the risk of having the limb broken, while a choke with no tapout renders the fighter unconscious. "If I put him to sleep," Cormier said Nurmagomedov told him, "he'll wake up and everything will be OK."

Speaking of broken arms, DC says Khabib did Justin a favor. 
Khabib Nurmagomedov closed out his MMA career in style Saturday with a victory and, according to his teammate, an act of compassion.
Nurmagomedov successfully defended his UFC lightweight championship by finishing Justin Gaethje with a second-round triangle. He used that submission rather than the armbar he initially had set up, American Kickboxing Academy training partner Daniel Cormier said on Monday, because Nurmagomedov did not want to injure Gaethje in front of Gaethje's parents.
"He told me when he was watching the interviews over the course of the week, he saw that Justin said that he would never tap," Cormier, who was an analyst on the UFC 254 telecast, told ESPN's Ariel Helwani on the DC & Helwani program. "He was going to do the armbar, but he had heard Justin saying all week that he would never tap, and he didn't want to hurt him in front of his parents. So he went to the triangle and just kind of put him to sleep."
A fighter who does not tap out while stuck in an armbar or other joint manipulation runs the risk of having the limb broken, while a choke with no tapout renders the fighter unconscious. "If I put him to sleep," Cormier said Nurmagomedov told him, "he'll wake up and everything will be OK."

I saw that yesterday. I’m calling bullshit.