Convince me not to buy a Glowforge

7 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

For $6,000, I'll build you a nicer cardboard globe than in the video, and I'll paint some of the countries on it too.

I'm so freaking good at painting continents. Sometimes I go outside the lines. I know I'm not 'sposed to but I like being myself.

We have a Epilog Helix with a 50w CO2 laser at work for engraving equipment nameplates.  It cost a bit more than $6k.  My designer runs it and we may have run a government job or three through it before.  It also has the rotary 3rd axis for engraving on curved surfaces.  Engraved yeti cups for enveryone.

I was on the kickstart preorder list for years with Glowforge, ultimately canceled it due to delays dragging on and there being other options on the market (Epilog and Trotec are two - not saying they're better, just that you should look around and compare for yourself). The big thing with the 'baby lasers' is you need to understand the limitations of what it can and can't do, and have realistic expectations for your projects.

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

You could get like 600 hand forged tomahawks for that price. Or like 300 fancy ones and use them to smoke a new bowl out of a different hawk for almost every day of the year.

OT, but the tomahawk thread is how I discovered Shag/Surl 

• Like 1