MS Office

Burt

Anyone know where I can find a lifetime version for a reasonable price?  I purchased it for my old PC in 2017 through my government agency for $10, but now the best offer I can get through them is $50, but its a yearly subscription.  Fuck subscriptions. You'd think the gov. would offer to pay for it since I've been working at home since March 16th!

2 minutes ago, bluto said:

Students aren’t eligible on that deal, staff and faculty only it appears

it was originally linked as a shop for alumni as well

also, texas exes members are supposed to have access to the campus computer store where perpetual license for office is 30$

also, texas exes members are supposed to have access to the campus computer store where perpetual license for office is 30$
Has anyone tried rolling up into the campus computer store and doing that?

53 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

that dude has too shitty of a rep. I would stay away.

i haven't bought a license off ebay in 2 years. i guess MS is asking ebay to crack down. i just did a search and there was only 2 offers < $10. there was always at least 10-15 every time i searched. maybe shit's changed.

On 12/12/2020 at 10:47 AM, gsoda3 said:
On 12/10/2020 at 9:23 AM, 52-80 said:

Has anyone tried rolling up into the campus computer store and doing that?

They will tell you to do it online, all digital copies these days. If you have a UTexas email through the legacy/alumni program, you should be able to sneak it through the eligibility check, but don’t hold me to that. Worst they will do is refund your money. 

My info may be bad, I do not work on the personal side of the house.

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 9:23 AM, 52-80 said:

Yeah, alumni for Hardware mostly. Most of the software deals are tied to University agreements. But as I said above, enforcement is pretty lax as MSFT/UT/CCS doesn’t really care.

Reduced functionality versions of Office are all available online for free.  I would at least use this until you discover you need the full version.

The good news is, if you don't need the full suite of Microsoft 365 tools, you can access a number of its apps online for free -- including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, Outlook, Calendar and Skype. Here's how to get them:

Go to Office.com.

Login to your Microsoft account (or create one for free). If you already have a Windows, Skype or Xbox login, you have an active Microsoft account.

Select the app you want to use, and save your work in the cloud with OneDrive.

With having a UT.edu email address, does that qualify for student discounts for MSFT, or do they know that alumni have those addresses as well?

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Reduced functionality versions of Office are all available online for free.  I would at least use this until you discover you need the full version.

With having a UT.edu email address, does that qualify for student discounts for MSFT, or do they know that alumni have those addresses as well?

UT System did away with the student perpetual version, as they provide all students with an O365 subscription. The perpetual option offered through the agreement is for faculty/staff. However, typically its all an automated eligibility check unless something goes wrong, in which a human looks at it.