Official NBA Christmas Day Thread

HornOnTheBayou

24 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Trading for him in a vacuum was fine, given that the Mavs gave up nothing of value to get him. But they brought him in knowing full well that they'd have to immediately max him out to keep him happy after 1.5 good seasons and before playing one second for Dallas.

It sucks, but hard to blame them with as many free agent strikeouts as they've had over the years.

I was never a fan of the trade. Porzingis is broken and can't be counted on at all. It's the equivalent of Jerry taking risks on these players in the draft for the Cowboys. Low risk, high reward but the reward never comes. We have seen how good he can be when he plays but the constant theme of this Dallas team is "Wait until Porzingis is healthy" and how good they will be when he gets back. Even when he comes back, he will be load managed to death (and rightfully so). Not a guy you can count on. 

I just never got why people thought the Knicks got fleeced. Sure, Dennis Smith Jr isn't some great player but they were desperate to get rid of Porzingis and did.

11 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

IMO, the NBA gets it wrong in their draft evals more than any other sport. They love potential more than production, it seems. Or maybe they just have more high profile draft busts. 

Depending on what part of the draft a team is picking I somewhat agree with this sentiment. Productive older college players are best to take late in the 1st round or early second, however protentional is the land where most of today's stars were discovered. Someone like Donovan Mitchell wouldn't have been drafted where he was if not for the potential he demonstrated in pre-draft workouts.  Same could be said of most of Kentucky's guys drafted over the last decade. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

This Google ad that keeps airing that is using a clip of Kobe and his daughter in it to try and sell me shit is actually irritating me to the point that I'm considering switching back to iOS and trying to get off of Google entirely. I'm not trying to be reminded of one of the saddest things that happened this year every 40 minutes you classless pricks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Just saw the numbers on the Nets-Celtics game.  I see I made the right decision. Some nice scotch, a good wine, and beef Wellington cooked to perfection. 

Glad KD is back, he will take the East if he can stay healthy. 

Anything else you want to add to your story .... ?

18 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Nope........ a wonderful evening with wonderful people vs. watching my Celtics get the shit kicked out of them. 

Could be a blessing in disguise. Ainge probably knows he needs to shake it up a bit (at least - he should). Better to figure that out now rather than after a 2nd round exit. The Celtics are a team full of very good players with maybe half of a great one in Tatum - and I only say that because he's relatively unproven. I'm not sure what there is out there to go after but it's time to get the wheels turning. Kemba being back should help a bit but your 1-3 is just not championship caliber - even though your 4-6 definitely is and has been for awhile.

Meanwhile, Nets already have the 2nd best title odds (tied with MIL). That's bananas.

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Dude I was coming here to make the exact same point. His sarcasm and understated humor hits just the right tone for the broadcast. 

He's perfectly unapologetic. I don't agree with everything he says and he can be annoying but he at least has interesting shit to say and brings good energy.

18 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I was never a fan of the trade. Porzingis is broken and can't be counted on at all. It's the equivalent of Jerry taking risks on these players in the draft for the Cowboys. Low risk, high reward but the reward never comes. We have seen how good he can be when he plays but the constant theme of this Dallas team is "Wait until Porzingis is healthy" and how good they will be when he gets back. Even when he comes back, he will be load managed to death (and rightfully so). Not a guy you can count on. 

I just never got why people thought the Knicks got fleeced. Sure, Dennis Smith Jr isn't some great player but they were desperate to get rid of Porzingis and did.

Because they absolutely did.  NY gave up a Unicorn and potential Perennial All Star, plus THJ, plush Trey Burke for basically trash and 2 Mid 20's First rounders at best most likely. Oh and DSJ who's proven to be not a very valuable player at all.

That's a trade Dallas has to do every time.  Even with KP's injury issues, we've seen just how potent he makes them, and even with his Max, he's worth it.  THJ had a career year next to Luka and we saw Bubble Burke(yes I know he didn't do much after his trade and was let go, but Dallas brought him back because they saw him in practice and knew what he could do)

I know you have an unnatural hate of any player how has the audacity to get hurt ever...but you really gotta climb off the ledge with this.