Official NBA Christmas Day Thread

HornOnTheBayou

I have never been more excited for a NBA Christmas than this year. Was going to go up and watch it with my father. Only person I was meeting with was an admin assistant who was working from home. Well of course her mother went out, got exposed so we are all locked down waiting on test results. They felt bad I had to cancel and invited me to their ranch. Well shit, they hate sports...... I will watch the first game, miss the damn Celtics-Nets game which is the one I was most excited about, and make the best of it. So comes down to NBA basketball or Christmas Dinner with a hot admin and her rich parents? Decisions, decisions, decisions... 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
23 minutes ago, ztejas said:
Stop. I can't do this with you today. Just enjoy the games.

You seem grumpy this morning. Merry Christmas!

Lol. You knew what you were doing. Hope Zion is showing you how ridiculous of a question that was. 

Lol. You knew what you were doing. Hope Zion is showing you how ridiculous of a question that was. 

Shrug. It's a legit question. One is proven, one has MVP talent but is unproven with injury and conditioning concerns. I know you get caught in the trap of letting ESPN tell you how to feel about things, but it's a much closer question that the screaming guys on TV would have you believe. I'd probably take Zion because of his ceiling but I'd be torn. As would a lot of NBA execs. Bird in the hand.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

They have to find a way to get Zion involved on offense. I know SVG doesn't want to bog down into iso ball but you gotta get creative and get him in the game.

Fortunately it looks like they've figured out that just dumping the ball to Zion in the post is close to elite offense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Shrug. It's a legit question. One is proven, one has MVP talent but is unproven with injury and conditioning concerns. I know you get caught in the trap of letting ESPN tell you how to feel about things, but it's a much closer question that the screaming guys on TV would have you believe. I'd probably take Zion because of his ceiling but I'd be torn. As would a lot of NBA execs. Bird in the hand.

No NBA exec would think twice. If he can play even 70 games a season Zion's floor is basically top 10-12 player in the league and his ceiling is best player in the league.

36 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

If you have the choice of having Zion or Bam right now, and they play their career out on your team, who do you go with?

Bam. 

I don't Zion will ever be who fans want him to be.

No NBA exec would think twice. If he can play even 70 games a season Zion's floor is basically top 10-12 player in the league and his ceiling is best player in the league.

Exactly why I would chose Bam. When you are hoping a guy can consistently play 70 games..ehh

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I like Zion as much as anyone but the emphasis on him is way overdone.    They asked the other day when he could be the best player in the league   Utterly ridiculous to even talk like that.   He's not the best player on his team.  He's not the best player from his draft class. He's not even the best 20 yr old from Duke right now.   Just let him grow

• Like 1

Yeah nobody doubts that Zion has unlimited potential. It's really an exercise on how you value the known vs. the unknown. Most GMs would be hard pressed to dump an almost guaranteed decade of all star big man play on both ends of the court for a pure potential guy with big question marks.

15 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Bam. 

I don't Zion will ever be who fans want him to be.

Exactly why I would chose Bam. When you are hoping a guy can consistently play 70 games..ehh

14 minutes ago, d2o said:

I like Zion as much as anyone but the emphasis on him is way overdone.    They asked the other day when he could be the best player in the league   Utterly ridiculous to even talk like that.   He's not the best player on his team.  He's not the best player from his draft class. He's not even the best 20 yr old from Duke right now.   Just let him grow

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah nobody doubts that Zion has unlimited potential. It's really an exercise on how you value the known vs. the unknown. Most GMs would be hard pressed to dump an almost guaranteed decade of all star big man play on both ends of the court for a pure potential guy with big question marks.

Lol. We'll see how these takes hold up this season. Give it a few weeks and I'm guessing it won't be a debate at all anymore. 

Zion has legit 30/15 potential and he isn't far off from realizing that. Sure, IF he stays healthy is an IF, but you take that chance 10 times out of 10. Bam is awesome. He will never be an MVP candidate or best player on a title team. There are 5 guys like Bam for every player like Zion.

Edited by ztejas

Lol. We'll see how these takes hold up this season. Give it a few weeks and I'm guessing it won't be a debate at all anymore. 
Zion has legit 30/15 potential and he isn't far off from realizing that. Sure, IF he stays healthy is an IF, but you take that chance 10 times out of 10. Bam is awesome. He will never be an MVP candidate or best player on a title team. There are 5 guys like Bam for every player like Zion.

I generally agree, but

"He will never be best player on a title team. There are 5 guys like Bam for every player like Zion."

This is shock jock hyperbole. He was arguably the best player on a team that was 2 games from a title last year. The guy is 23.

I don't think he's MVP level. Agree with you there.

I think my final answer as Zion. Despite my guy ztejas' gnashing of teeth it's a valid debate with merit on both sides. But the most direct way to rings is a generational superstar. The 2004 Pistons only happens so often. I think I'd gamble on Zion and his knees and love of cajun food.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

This is shock jock hyperbole. He was arguably the best player on a team that was 2 games from a title last year. The guy is 23.

It really isn't. The point is that there are very few guys like Zion. For every prospect like Zion you get a handful of Embiids, Goberts, Aytons, Bams, Vucevics. All of those guys are or will be perennial all stars. Zion has the chance to be a perennial 1st team All-NBA type player. 

32 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Bam has an incredibly higher floor than Zion. 

Do you mean in how much production you're going to get? Sure. In terms of playing ability - there's no way. Zion right now is already a better player. I mean he had what - 31 and 15 today? and it seemed like just a ho hum day for him.

And just because there are injury concerns with Zion doesn't mean there aren't potential injuries for Bam. He already missed games in the Finals last year. He could tear his ACL next week and this would be a different discussion. He's 2 years older to boot.

33 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Also, Eric Bledsoe fucking sucks.

Yeah. He's actually awful. Complete and utter addition by subtraction for any team in the league. He shouldn't get minutes for anyone but this is the NBA where you see the floor simply based on prior accomplishments.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It really isn't. The point is that there are very few guys like Zion. For every prospect like Zion you get a handful of Embiids, Goberts, Aytons, Bams, Vucevics. All of those guys are or will be perennial all stars. Zion has the chance to be a perennial 1st team All-NBA type player. 

Do you mean in how much production you're going to get? Sure. In terms of playing ability - there's no way. Zion right now is already a better player. I mean he had what - 31 and 15 today? and it seemed like just a ho hum day for him.

And just because there are injury concerns with Zion doesn't mean there aren't potential injuries for Bam. He already missed games in the Finals last year. He could tear his ACL next week and this would be a different discussion. He's 2 years older to boot.

Strictly injury. He’s a big risk. I mean, anyone could get run over by a bus tomorrow obviously, but this guy is playing with fire man. It could definitely burn him. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I should also add I’m worried about his weight. 

I am too. You'd be a fool to not be concerned. I saw him out there today and thought "I thought he slimmed down?". His upside is just too huge for me to entertain giving him up for anyone around the same age, really. Short of Luka. 

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

who sucks more, wiggins or bledsoe

Was just thinking this. And it has to be Bledsoe. At least Wiggins is in a position where they need him to jack shots up. He might look better with Draymond back, too.

I mean Wiggins is at least boarding and not turning the ball over. Bledsoe was 2/10 with 5 TOs today. It's really difficult to not be better than that.

Edited by ztejas

33 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

How did the Bucks watch him play everyday and decide he needed $70mm over 4 years? The league hasn't changed that much since he signed that contract.  What did he ever do to deserve it? 

They were looking at what the did in Phoenix and paid for that potential.