Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

On 3/11/2024 at 5:59 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Why fluoro--for the faster sink/superior "invisibility"?

I'm using if for invisibility as I am using it for my surf rigs.  Over time I definitely get more bites on the fluro rigs, than the exact same rigs with Mono. I am assuming the bite difference is the "invisibility" of the flurocarbon.  I also use it on my bobber stopper float rigs we use at the jetty and sometimes in the surf (when it's calmer).  It also is a little more durable than mono on the rocks at the jetty, where you are for sure gonna get some abrasion.

After reading what I wrote I thought.. why not just look it up-

Here was the google experimental AI overview - 

Fluorocarbon line is said to be virtually invisible because it has the same light refraction properties as water. This makes it less shiny and less visible in water, which makes it harder for fish to see. Fluorocarbon is a good choice for anglers fishing in clear water or for fish that are pressured and very line shy. 

Fluorocarbon is very tough and more abrasion resistant than monofilament. It becomes invisible because light can pass through it very easily, and when it is on or very close to the bottom it is very difficult to see. However, it can be visible in the light, especially when it's out in the Sun at just the right angle

At the coast I like using #17 or #20 Fluro tied to smaller/lighter braid or mono as leader onto my lures.  On the bigger surf double drop rigs I will use 30#.  But again you sacrifice more bites the heavier (larger diameter) you go, IMHO.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I use #30 braid with a 7' fluoro top shot

I've gone to this when fishing clear water for Bass and it does seem to make a difference. Do you use a double uni knot?

The lake I live on is usually pretty stained so I just roll with 30# Power Pro. The fish all get so much pressure that I probably should use a fluoro leader, but I usually don't bother.

I got out to the fishing club last week. Fished with clients one day and did pretty good. I spent a lot of time re-rigging and un-boogering gear but they had a blast.

Was supposed to take a different guy on Thursday but he better offered me for a sailfish trip so I went out by myself. I think I caught 38 but nothing bigger than 3 lbs. Good for the soul tho. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

I've gone to this when fishing clear water for Bass and it does seem to make a difference. Do you use a double uni knot?

The lake I live on is usually pretty stained so I just roll with 30# Power Pro. The fish all get so much pressure that I probably should use a fluoro leader, but I usually don't bother.

yep, double uni FTW. I've tried the Alberto knot and I think it's marginally better, but I can never remember the steps if I have to re-tie on the boat, so I mostly stick to the double uni

I've used a FG knot too, but I struggle with it unless I'm in my garage out of the wind.

I really prefer to have a knot tying/tie fast tool to do the uni/uni as well. I need more practice to be able to do it quickly while out on the boat.

Alberto knot is easier than uni-uni.  Seven turns up and seven turns down.  Not sure what's so difficult to remember about that.  Uni-uni you are essentially tying two knots.  Alberto is only one. 

FG is a great knot, but it is a pain in the ass to tie with lighter flouro.  Alberto is much easier to tie and only slightly thicker.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll have to look more into the Alberto. I know I've tied it before while watching a video, but it's been a while.

[mention=2205]Born to Run[/mention] what kind of UV glue setup do you have? That sounds handy.
https://www.avidmax.com/loon-outdoors-uv-kit/

The light is strong enough to cure surf board uv epoxy and wader uv patch epoxy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm team Alberto but I kind of want to get one of those FG tools and just do it inside before going out. 
I've gotten to where I can tie the FG while waiting, I use the method where you hold the line in your teeth under tension from the rod tip.

Honestly I love both the FG and the Alberto, especially when I am getting my gear ready to go watching the television.  As they are superior knots as far as smoothness going through the guides.  But I have to admit that when the wind is blowing I nearly always go double Uni.  Simply as I've been tying it so long that I can do it basically by feel if need be.

What I really needed this weekend was a knot that made the fish want to bite in 30 MPH winds. 😉

• Like 1