Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

3 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Spent the day on one of my favorite springtime fisheries. Started slow. Most springs, they'll take anything you toss their way, at least for a little while, but they were extra finicky today.

First fish was my best--a shockingly gorgeous fine-spotted cutt that had no business being there. Crushed a white polar minnow. I'd never seen so much bronze when he flashed.

20240320_123243

Close up. Wish I'd had a buddy with me to take better pictures. This guy was toothy af.

20240320_123200

Only caught a couple more on streamers, including a nice hen. But the water was boiling with rises and I tried dozens of dry patterns in hopes of a match.

Finally hit paydirt with an elk hair caddis. It wasn't an exact match (I still got refused 90 percent of the time), but it stirred up enough interest to make it fun, just not heaven.

20240320_141706 20240320_145506

Took a lot of bouldering and bushwhacking to get to this spot. I was beat Caught about a dozen and left early. Getting old.

Man I tell ya. Advised to hike up 3 miles in Colorado to a certain an alpine lake with cuts. Found another hike that was 1.5 up brook and lake trout only. I was exhausted after 8 hours of fishing and 3 miles of hiking. Getting old is right. 

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

See you this summer. I can cut trails.

I’m always looking for good company and help. What else can you offer to an angler? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, troph said:

Man I tell ya. Advised to hike up 3 miles in Colorado to a certain an alpine lake with cuts. Found another hike that was 1.5 up brook and lake trout only. I was exhausted after 8 hours of fishing and 3 miles of hiking. Getting old is right. 

I’m always looking for good company and help. What else can you offer to an angler? 

Beer?

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

See you this summer. I can cut trails.

Hah

Cut trail is exactly what you'd have to do if you went there during summer because the stinging nettle and Scotch thistle are rampant. Getting in and out this time of year is much easier, but the ever-present willow and large basaltic boulders make it an all-season challenge.

Anytime between June and October, you're taking a machete ... and wearing jeans and long-sleeves for the hike in.

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Hah

Cut trail is exactly what you'd have to do if you went there during summer because the stinging nettle and Scotch thistle are rampant. Getting in and out this time of year is much easier, but the ever-present willow and large basaltic boulders make it an all-season challenge.

Anytime between June and October, you're taking a machete ... and wearing jeans and long-sleeves for the hike in.

Duly noted. And bring a goat.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fished the Guad this Am. Landed about 10-15 myself., all 14-20, fat and healthy. Caught most on dries, they were hitting all dries, but maybe most on hoppers, a few on droppers too. There is a sucker spawn so a few on eggs, stone flys, pheaseant tail, RS2 20 etc.

Although to be fair at 40 cfs almost all flies are a wet fly if even half of it is wet. Need rain bad. I've never seen the guad so puny. 80 fish all in 2' of water is something.

• Hook 'Em 2

Current situation heading out for another day of fishing. Just  a little under 3 weeks left on the winter sailfish season, then back home until the last part of June. @troph that’s marlin season and we will be in CR from late June until mid September.

IMG_1516.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Welp slow start. Raised one sailfish and one blue marlin. Caught the sail but jumped the blue off.

edit- and 5 minutes after the post we just raised another blue. Blind bite on the flat rod ballyhoo but didn’t hook up. Good sign though, that’s 2 in less than 2 hours and we’ve only seen 6 all year. As good as the marlin bite was last sailfish season, this year has been really slow for blues but great for sailfish. Definitely the best sailfish season since ‘21.

Edited by justhookit
  • Drool 1

59 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Current situation heading out for another day of fishing. Just  a little under 3 weeks left on the winter sailfish season, then back home until the last part of June. @troph that’s marlin season and we will be in CR from late June until mid September.

IMG_1516.jpeg

we are in colorado all of late june and most of july. would love to come down in august if that's still marlin season and you're around. can't due sept either.

8 minutes ago, troph said:

we are in colorado all of late june and most of july. would love to come down in august if that's still marlin season and you're around. can't due sept either.

August works and yeah that’s still prime season. I’ll shoot you a text.

37 minutes ago, Shot Caller said:

Justhookit - where in CR are you fishing out of? Bucket list for me. Grew up fishing offshore out of Texas (Freeport then SPI)…your slow days rival a damn good day in the GoM. Enjoy your offshore pics and vids!

Yeah we ended up 4/5 on sailfish the other day and 0/2 on blues and I would have been thrilled with that back when I had my boat in Port A. But for here it was by far our worst day of the season. Most days we are getting about 30ish billfish bites, a few days in the high teens and a few days with 45+. Tournament coming up on Saturday and hopefully the fishing picks up again.

I fish out of Marina Pez Vela in Quepos. Los Suenos about an hour north of here is good too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah we ended up 4/5 on sailfish the other day and 0/2 on blues and I would have been thrilled with that back when I had my boat in Port A. But for here it was by far our worst day of the season. Most days we are getting about 30ish billfish bites, a few days in the high teens and a few days with 45+. Tournament coming up on Saturday and hopefully the fishing picks up again.
I fish out of Marina Pez Vela in Quepos. Los Suenos about an hour north of here is good too.

That’s awesome! I can’t imagine 45+ billfish bites. Like you said, that’s a great day in the gulf. I remember being ecstatic going 2/4 on blues in a day. We fished out of the Sea Ranch and did a lot of the Texas tourneys.

Was in Port Mansfield last week and weekend for a tournament.  It was really nice Thursday.  Windy on Friday.  And really windy on tournament day. We caught a lot of fish, but not the right size to win anything.

I love fishing down there.  Fished two artificials.  Gulp white shrimp under a popping cork.  And a topwater.  Redfish were killing the topwaters in the flats.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2024 at 10:31 PM, Shot Caller said:

That’s awesome! I can’t imagine 45+ billfish bites. Like you said, that’s a great day in the gulf. I remember being ecstatic going 2/4 on blues in a day. We fished out of the Sea Ranch and did a lot of the Texas tourneys.

The last time I fished CR we caught 8 and I thought it was an epic day. Caught a really large sail trophy pic worthy and since I hadn’t ever caught one they let me get the pic. The rest we left in the water.  I went home so effing happy. 45+ ??? Wouldn’t know what to do.

Was in Port Mansfield last week and weekend for a tournament.  It was really nice Thursday.  Windy on Friday.  And really windy on tournament day. We caught a lot of fish, but not the right size to win anything.
I love fishing down there.  Fished two artificials.  Gulp white shrimp under a popping cork.  And a topwater.  Redfish were killing the topwaters in the flats.

PM is great fishing both inshore and offshore since it’s so out of the way…pristine actually. We used to fish PMFT back in the day too. I remember one of my dad’s salty friends saying he found a gold doubloon after a storm and I thought he was full of sh*t. Turns out they occasionally was ashore after storms or dredging from those 1654 Spanish fleet wrecks.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

The last time I fished CR we caught 8 and I thought it was an epic day. Caught a really large sail trophy pic worthy and since I hadn’t ever caught one they let me get the pic. The rest we left in the water.  I went home so effing happy. 45+ ??? Wouldn’t know what to do.

What to do?  Sleep when done.  That would be exhausting.  Best fishing day I ever had we caught three swords at day break and then went three for nine on blue marlin during the day out near Nansen and Boomvang in the Gulf.  There were 3 of us fishing and we were dead tired when done.

I cannot imagine 45 billfish.

Edited by Frank Drebin

5 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I cannot imagine 45 billfish.

Don’t think sails are as bad, and the light gear helps. Have a buddy that fishes down there 1-2x a year and they’ve had a couple 35+ days over the last few trips.  Unreal.  Thing is, sails no longer do it for them.  Which would suck imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Shot Caller said:

PM is great fishing both inshore and offshore since it’s so out of the way…pristine actually. We used to fish PMFT back in the day too. I remember one of my dad’s salty friends saying he found a gold doubloon after a storm and I thought he was full of sh*t. Turns out they occasionally was ashore after storms or dredging from those 1654 Spanish fleet wrecks.

I fish there once a year in an invitational tournament some friends of mine put on.  They are all from the Valley and grew up fishing the Lower Laguna Madre. I am basically dead money.  I am a pretty good angler compared to most.  These guys are ridiculously good.  But it is a really good time, and I love the LLM.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Don’t think sails are as bad, and the light gear helps. Have a buddy that fishes down there 1-2x a year and they’ve had a couple 35+ days over the last few trips.  Unreal.  Thing is, sails no longer do it for them.  Which would suck imo. 

My view is as things stop working for you it’s important to be more responsible for the full catch. Hard to do off shore but I’m sure catching a sail when you set up the rig, you figure out where to go and how to hunt for them is way more satisfying. In the end most of us tourist fish for pelagics, that’s a very narrow fishing experience and 95% of the fishing is done by someone else. I compare it to a Colorado vacation float trip for trout versus soup to nuts doing it yourself. Night and day difference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, troph said:

My view is as things stop working for you it’s important to be more responsible for the full catch. Hard to do off shore but I’m sure catching a sail when you set up the rig, you figure out where to go and how to hunt for them is way more satisfying. In the end most of us tourist fish for pelagics, that’s a very narrow fishing experience and 95% of the fishing is done by someone else. I compare it to a Colorado vacation float trip for trout versus soup to nuts doing it yourself. Night and day difference. 

This is someone who easily has triple digit sails, and they probably getting close on blues.  Grew up fishing the Marlin tournaments.  It’s (big) blues or bust for them, for whatever reason.  I always personally loved them.  And tuna.  And trout.  

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

This is someone who easily has triple digit sails, and they probably getting close on blues.  Grew up fishing the Marlin tournaments.  It’s (big) blues or bust for them, for whatever reason.  I always personally loved them.  And tuna.  And trout.  

Yeah but who is doing the real fishing? Until they are up at 1am the night before getting the rigging just right - or owning the boat and paying the crew to do that - then they aren’t really fishing.  

and I say that with all due respect as a pelagic tourist who has caught plenty of bounty fish all over the western hemisphere and has also spent time with an owner and saw what really goes into pelagic fishing the night before.

Yeah but who is doing the real fishing? Until they are up at 1am the night before getting the rigging just right - or owning the boat and paying the crew to do that - then they aren’t really fishing.  

and I say that with all due respect as a pelagic tourist who has caught plenty of bounty fish all over the western hemisphere and has also spent time with an owner and saw what really goes into pelagic fishing the night before.

That brings up memories of offshore tournaments on our boat. Long days and short nights. Waking up at 3-4, leave the dock at 430 to clear the jetties at 5 to put lines in at 7 AM sharp. Lines out at 4-5 PM and hauling ass back in to wait in line at weigh station and fuel, then clean everything. Wouldn’t trade those memories though. When I was in HS / early college, we were “sponsored” by one of the beer distributors…snuck a few
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, troph said:

Iirc they got heavy into bills in the 70’s, family and friends as crew. The old man is almost 80 now, so yeah he’s not captaining the boat anymore, or hunting bills in the gulf for that matter.  They’ve downsized their SF (to a smaller one) and chase pelagics down in Mexico and CR now.  For many years it wasn’t uncommon to have 2-3 captains from that family tree running boats fishing the big tournaments here (Poco, legends, TIFT) at any given time.  Salty, salty family on both sides. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Iirc they got heavy into bills in the 70’s, family and friends as crew. The old man is almost 80 now, so yeah he’s not captaining the boat anymore, or hunting bills in the gulf for that matter.  They’ve downsized their SF (to a smaller one) and chase pelagics down in Mexico and CR now.  For many years it wasn’t uncommon to have 2-3 captains from that family tree running boats fishing the big tournaments here (Poco, legends, TIFT) at any given time.  Salty, salty family on both sides. 

That’s cool. They deserve to get bored. The rest of us have a lot more fishing to do before we are entitled to be bored. The power of humility, gratitude and appreciation is real. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, troph said:

That’s cool. They deserve to get bored. The rest of us have a lot more fishing to do before we are entitled to be bored. The power of humility, gratitude and appreciation is real. 

Make no mistake, I’m sure he’s happier than he lets on.  I chalked it up to what it’s like when you hook a red while fishing Baffin in Feb.   Off my line carp, I’m here for the sows.  On legit 30+ fish days I’m sure you’re looking for something new to bite.  I assume because I’ve never been a part of something like that. 

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Make no mistake, I’m sure he’s happier than he lets on.  I chalked it up to what it’s like when you hook a red while fishing Baffin in Feb.   Off my line carp, I’m here for the sows.  On legit 30+ fish days I’m sure you’re looking for something new to bite.  I assume because I’ve never been a part of something like that. 

That’s why we fly fish. 

18 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

A 10# sow is tough enough on a corky, I don’t have enough years left to make that happen on a fly.   Hell it took me 20 years to break 30” on conventional tackle. 

To each his own.  My top 5-10 fishing experiences are all on a fly rod. 11-15 probably conventional off shore but give me another 5 years and those will drop further, after that it’s back to the fly rod. And I’ve barely scratched the surface. No permit, caught but haven’t landed 12-14 pound bonefish you have not heard a reel scream until you’ve seen a large bone take off, caught but haven’t landed a 50 lb tarpon and the fucker jumped 3 feet into the air before it through the hook, caught a heavy weight GT which is a catch of a lifetime, caught a 28-30 inch red, caught a slot from 60 feet away with a perfect cast and the momentary skill of a pro, and more reds and trout than I can count, almost all I saw them before they saw me and I targeted them. I’ve hit the mother load of 10+ trout in 30 mins on a fly rod more than once but first with Hollywood, on a fly rod is an incredible way to hunt fish. Add barbless hooks and it’s even more satisfying - and this part cannot be overstated - releasing a fish after a fight almost unharmed just startled is the holy grail imo. And I started  fly fishing at 43-45 years old. There’s always time. You get bored it’s the next level. The draw is inexplicable. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, troph said:

To each his own.  My top 5-10 fishing experiences are all on a fly rod. 11-15 probably conventional off shore but give me another 5 years and those will drop further, after that it’s back to the fly rod. And I’ve barely scratched the surface. No permit, caught but haven’t landed 12-14 pound bonefish you have not heard a reel scream until you’ve seen a large bone take off, caught but haven’t landed a 50 lb tarpon and the fucker jumped 3 feet into the air before it through the hook, caught a heavy weight GT which is a catch of a lifetime, caught a 28-30 inch red, caught a slot from 60 feet away with a perfect cast and the momentary skill of a pro, and more reds and trout than I can count, almost all I saw them before they saw me and I targeted them. I’ve hit the mother load of 10+ trout in 30 mins on a fly rod more than once but first with Hollywood, on a fly rod is an incredible way to hunt fish and I started at 43-45 years old. There’s always time. You get bored it’s the next level. The draw is inexplicable.

You’re describing what topwater fishing is to me.  Watching that wake come up behind and then the toilet bowl flush into a 30” sow, or the hand grenade that goes off when that upper slot red somehow wraps their stupid bottom feeding mouth around the back end of that spook.  Caught a >100# YF on a popper and spinning reel, after watching them soar into the sky when they missed it.  Chicken dolphin on single hook spooks around weed lines.  I bet I could catch 20x the fish if I didn’t insist on fishing one lure 95%+ of the time.  But when it’s on, there’s nothing like it (for me). I’ve got a shoulder I got to get figured out because it’s keeping me off the water for far too long. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You’re describing what topwater fishing is to me.  Watching that wake come up behind and then the toilet bowl flush into a 30” sow, or the hand grenade that goes off when that upper slot red somehow wraps their stupid bottom feeding mouth around the back end of that spook.  Caught a >100# YF on a popper and spinning reel, after watching them soar into the sky when they missed it.  Chicken dolphin on single hook spooks around weed lines.  I bet I could catch 20x the fish if I didn’t insist on fishing one lure 95%+ of the time.  But when it’s on, there’s nothing like it (for me). I’ve got a shoulder I got to get figured out because it’s keeping me off the water for far too long. 

The 8 foot sailfish I caught? The first jack I caught that took 45 mins to land (I was a teenager)? Tuna screaming with the line, marlin jumping (didn’t land)? More dorado and wahoo than I can count, multiple limits caught in half day trips - reds / trout, trophy trout and trophy reds, I mean I could go on and on, all on conventional tackle all take a back seat. Sorry, I get you like what you like, but the skill and effort catching on a fly especially with barbless hooks is next level.  You should try it will rock your world.

Edited by troph

fattyflattie - can you share the boat name? Curious if we know them. Our boat was the Wahoo. BHYC A dock in Freeport and then took her to SPI and we fished all those tourneys.

New here but have lurked forever on all the old sites. Dad was a silver spur way back when and then ran swift boats in Vietnam.

Back to reality for us poors.

My dad’s brothers kid was in town for his parents’ 60th anniversary party. Last night at around cake cutting time looked at him and said “pick you up at 5am? I know all your tackle is back home but I got you covered.”

So I did spend the remainder of the evening re-spooling 6 reels and gearing up.

Moon and tide was all wrong, wind howling straight up the ship channel so we retreated to the LA marsh which you know I love dearly.

Got into a pod of 28”-34” reds up in a duck lake and had a ball. Then from 30 feet away this 7 footer chases down my cousin’s cork and eats the hook. I cut the line about 5’ above the first knot.

949308e74972ff6501a5274c865a45ce.jpg

I’ve been fishing for 48 years and I’ve never encountered a more aggressive gator. He sat right by the Boat for a half hour like my dog begging for scraps. He wouldn’t shoo, was probably a she. Maybe defending her nest? Seriously freaked me out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

My dad’s brothers kid was in town for his parents’ 60th anniversary party. Last night at around cake cutting time looked at him and said “pick you up at 5am? I know all your tackle is back home but I got you covered.”

Moon and tide was all wrong, wind howling straight up the ship channel so we retreated to the LA marsh which you know I love dearly.

Got into a pod of 28”-34” reds up in a duck lake and had a ball. Then from 30 feet away this 7 footer chases down my cousin’s cork and eats the hook. I cut the line about 5’ above the first knot.

I’ve been fishing for 48 years and I’ve never encountered a more aggressive gator. He sat right by the Boat for a half hour like my dog begging for scraps. He wouldn’t shoo, was probably a she. Maybe defending her nest? Seriously freaked me out.
They've always been around, but man they have gotten more frequent and problematic. Give em the rivers and upper deltas, once they get in the bay and get aggressive, I'm all for someone letting one slip from thier pistol.*
I don't carry on the water, so if you cut off my wade my only recourse is a topwater to your face.
But fuck gators. I'm cool enough with sharks; it's their home. And they don't lay on the bottom waiting to ambush mammals.

And regarding all the various styles of fishing mentioned on this thread recently, write me in as a fan of ALL of it. Offshore trolling, deep dropping, snapper fishing meat hauls, swording, bay fishing, trophy trout, putting kids on a limit of reds, catching ladyfish and Jacks, running trotlines for catfish on a river, dock trout under the lights, fly fishing in all it's forms including lowly guad stocked fish and wild fish way up in the mountains. Tenkara on small waters. Rainbows, Browns, Brookies, and Cuts. Salmon, freaking jigging for Halibut. From flying gaffs to fish the size of my hand- I love it all, and I learn everyday and I always leave a trip with something else I want to try the next time and with part of my soul repaired.

Guad Report. Put my son and another new angler on em this am; both caught around 4-5 up to 18-20. The bigger fish put it on em. I had around 15 , but mostly guided them. I definitely got the adreline shakes on the two bigger fish I netted because I wanted them to land those fish so bad, especially after my son broke off a pig early and lost a second one on sloppy technique. It was more fun by far than if I had the rod in my hand. I could have probably landed 40 fish if solo. Got hot, and it shut down. Low crowds, great Sunday! Love having that fishery so close. Still no luck with the mouse pattern; need to leave earlier. 645 was too late. Fish mostly wanted small Grey and brown nymphs like Stone flys, pheaseants, Rs2s etc. Very few rises on various dries. Streamers didn't produce. Carp the size of schoolbuses were spawning shallow. Kinda cool. Deer, Eagle, Turkey.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

During droughts I’ve seen them parked every 200’ in a bayou. Hundreds of them.

I sweatergawd this one was waiting for me to break out a pack of hot dogs or something.
Guessing yall don't wade much over there. We didn't when I fished Calc back in the early 90s

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

What a crock!!!!

3 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

She obviously was hoping you'd climb up on the bow and practice your side-side technique while Miyagi patiently continued to fish.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I’ve never been able to find it again but I once saw a vid that was supposedly taken in the LLM over some small island. Dozens and dozens of BIG lizards swimming around in about 2-3’ of clear water, and laid up all over this tiny barren sandbar, really.  I figured it would be a bit too salty down there, but I see them all over cedar bayou and whatnot so who knows. Guy who took the vid wouldn’t say exactly where it was as they didn’t want them disturbed.  

Used to be a couple honery gators back in Fish Pond.  Always creeped me out. 

On 4/12/2024 at 9:09 AM, Shot Caller said:

fattyflattie - can you share the boat name? Curious if we know them. Our boat was the Wahoo. BHYC A dock in Freeport and then took her to SPI and we fished all those tourneys.

New here but have lurked forever on all the old sites. Dad was a silver spur way back when and then ran swift boats in Vietnam.

Will send DM when I get back to laptop 

• Hook 'Em 1

They are available and AA flies direct from PHX, Dallas and LAX. Itchy trigger finger… rooster fish, dorado, sail, marlin, all on the fly rod. 

My breathing currently resembles a roll in the hay. I think I gotta do this. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

They are available and AA flies direct from PHX, Dallas and LAX. Itchy trigger finger… rooster fish, dorado, sail, marlin, all on the fly rod. 

My breathing currently resembles a roll in the hay. I think I gotta do this. 

I’ll put you on a marlin on fly and you will probably piss your pants. At Hobby now, hopefully Port A by midnight. Long day we caught the puddle jumper out of Quepos at 9:30 this morning. I’ll be in touch this week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1