Ex-Middle School Teacher Accused of Raping Boy After Mom Found Her Nude Photos on His Phone

fakebusiness

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I dunno.

First off, she's obviously mentally ill in some respect.  Prison isn't going to help that, at all.  It's going to make it worse, more than likely.

Second, in terms of shock value aspect of punishment, for an educated, white-collarish person (as opposed to a hardened criminal that has had no home life and has none to return to and little possibility of creating one), no more than five years should be adequate. Longer than that gets further and further into complete life destruction.

Third, there is some notion that paraphilias like pedophilia (if this is that), are "incurable."  I'm not sure I buy the "science" there.  In any case, that is the best argument for a lengthy term of imprisonment, on the theory of incapacitation.  However, full incapacitation would require a life sentence, or perhaps one long enough (>30 years) to "age" her out of her impulses and tendencies.  And that type of sentence for this type of crime is probably not going to pass Eighth Amendment cruel and unusual punishment scrutiny.

It's a tough call, but sentences based on outrage are probably long-term counterproductive. And society ends up paying that price, not just the defendant.

We as a society need to do a better job with people whose crimes are pretty obviously the product of mental illness.

I didn't recommend a prison length, and I didn't post out of outrage, except perhaps for the jackass who questioned whether she should go to prison.

She's a child molester.  That should carry jail time.  Period, end of story, there is no counterargument except perhaps in a case of serious mental illness, in which a different type of incarceration is warranted.  I'm pretty liberal when it comes to my thoughts on prison and criminal penalties, but in this case, no.  We old-boys-club this kind of shit too often.  The facts are this:  in general 8th grade boys are LESS emotionally mature than 8th grade girls.  Smiling and remembering a permanent hardon doesn't really lead us to a rational evaluation of the crime.  Sorry, but this was a crime (assuming true), and she deserves time behind bars.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I didn't recommend a prison length, and I didn't post out of outrage, except perhaps for the jackass who questioned whether she should go to prison.

She's a child molester.  That should carry jail time.  Period, end of story, there is no counterargument except perhaps in a case of serious mental illness, in which a different type of incarceration is warranted.  I'm pretty liberal when it comes to my thoughts on prison and criminal penalties, but in this case, no.  We old-boys-club this kind of shit too often.  The facts are this:  in general 8th grade boys are LESS emotionally mature than 8th grade girls.  Smiling and remembering a permanent hardon doesn't really lead us to a rational evaluation of the crime.  Sorry, but this was a crime (assuming true), and she deserves time behind bars.

That's fair.  I wasn't really accusing you of outrage.  That's just the typical reason for people advocating long sentences.  I was kind of generalizing outwardly from your point.

I submit that there is a difference between "old-boying" a sentence or a charge and rational sentencing.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I went to middle school with a 16 year old 8th grader. He wasn’t stupid, he just kept missing too many days of class to work on his family farm during the busier periods. I think he was a sophomore when he turned 18 and said forget it and quit to farm full time. 

he was a good candidate for an alternative education that was industry or trade focused, but we don’t do that in America. 

We had a 16-year-old 8th grader on our football team. About 6'2, 180, and fast, so we had him at tailback. He was pretty dominant but he was the kind of guy who would just fumble in the open field with nobody within ten yards of him. 

Having Desean Jackson at running back would give you an advantage, I’d agree