2021 Texas Softball

Machinator

Texas also doesn't NEED a catcher (with Mary having an extra year but Shipman has 2 more years) but Shea's mom wants her at Texas

2021: 304, 9 doubles, 8 HR, 39 RBI and 3-3 SB, .991 fielding and 7 CS
2020 (shortened): .403, 7 2B, 2 HR, 16 RBI, .981 fielding and 3 CS
2019 (in only 22 games): .328, 5 2B, 3 HR, 20 RBI, 1.00 fielding

Honestly, she's a take for her defense and power.  Have her switch off with Mary at catcher, with the other at DP, and Sully at 1B. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

With Molly graduating and (the above) rumor that Sully may be gone, I would not be surprised if Texas goes for the Tennessee duo of Callie Turner (LHP) and Shipman (C). 

2021 - 2.28 ERA in 76.2 IP, 7 HR allowed, 31 K / 27 BB.
2020 shortened stats: 2.67 ERA in 91.2 IP, 2 HR allowed, 72 K / 53 BB.  

Texas would like a lefty on the roster, as it returns righties Shea, Day and Ry and has righty Sophia Simpson coming in. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Ryleigh White is in the portal 

Oh shit! That was Mike White's special project. I don't want to hit the panic button or anything because players can leave for a variety of reasons, but since Elish left the team the stability of the program has seemed a bit shaky. I hope Mike can pull the program together these next couple seasons. He may have a polarizing personality with his players idk

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Oh shit! That was Mike White's special project. I don't want to hit the panic button or anything because players can leave for a variety of reasons, but since Elish left the team the stability of the program has seemed a bit shaky. I hope Mike can pull the program together these next couple seasons. He may have a polarizing personality with his players idk

The portal is wrecking programs left and right.  Every top program, including many who were in OKC, are seeing players leave. Not just seniors looking for one final opportunity, but freshman too.  She’s also from NJ so she may have a similar thing as Celeste Taylor - COVID + far from home sort of made things not great? 

Edited by Js1

10 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Good point !    Proud of her gritty performance against OU considering the circumstances.

We seem to be missing that team leader who keeps everyone engaged both on and off the field.    Chelsea Spencer seemed to do that as an assistant coach.    Kept morale high. 

16 hours ago, Js1 said:

The portal is wrecking programs left and right.  Every top program, including many who were in OKC, are seeing players leave. Not just seniors looking for one final opportunity, but freshman too.  She’s also from NJ so she may have a similar thing as Celeste Taylor - COVID + far from home sort of made things not great? 

Sophia Simpson. From talking to some people that are in the know there are a lot of people that think Simpson is the top recruit in the country. 

I was afraid Simpson would scare off one of our pitchers so I was just hoping it wasn't O'Leary. Need to add another grad transfer pitcher but again the problem is talented pitchers want to play. If you land a grad transfer with talent one of O'Leary and Simpson probably aren't going to be thrilled with playing time.

This brings me back to Eric Nahlin's quote on recruiting quarterbacks in the portal era. Something along the lines of "The irony of recruiting top tier QBs is you have to recruit more of them because they scare each other off."  

There's no chance Texas would keep Simpson for longer than a year unless she's either the #1 or #2 arm next season.  Players that talented aren't sitting on the bench and if they are you might as well expect them in the portal. That's just the reality. 

Rotation will be something like: 

#1  (O'Leary or Simpson)

#2 (O'Leary or Simpson)

#3 (grad transfer hopefully)

#4 (Day)

Callie Turner is an interesting one but I would bet good money one of Turner, Simpson or O'Leary would be transferring the following season. All 3 have multiple years left and neither of those arms are going to be alright being "the third wheel" for a couple years. 

Speaking of Sophia Simpson, look at the numbers she put up her SR season. This is hilarious. 

"Simpson capped her high school career with some eye-popping statistics. She posted a 21-0 record with a 0.17 earned-run average and 271 strikeouts. She allowed just 36 hits and 24 walks and surrendered just three earned runs over 119 1/3 innings pitched.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/hs-sports/article/All-Greater-Houston-Softball-Pitcher-of-the-Year-16276340.php#:~:text=Simpson capped her high school,119 1%2F3 innings pitched.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sophia will be a good one, I really hope so.  And Citlaly comes in for 2022. 

Callie Turner makes sense because we just graduated our lefty grad transfer.  We won't have one on roster next year and I think every staff needs one.  I'm so hesitant to go into the season with 1 proven pitcher, 1 freshman, and Day.  We are long past the days of an actual pitching "rotation" with 3 main pitchers to go in your three game conference series and then someone to do your mid-week games. 

If there's a comparable SR or GT in the portal that's a lefty - yes, let's get her.  

9 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Sophia Simpson. From talking to some people that are in the know there are a lot of people that think Simpson is the top recruit in the country. 

I was afraid Simpson would scare off one of our pitchers so I was just hoping it wasn't O'Leary. Need to add another grad transfer pitcher but again the problem is talented pitchers want to play. If you land a grad transfer with talent one of O'Leary and Simpson probably aren't going to be thrilled with playing time.

This brings me back to Eric Nahlin's quote on recruiting quarterbacks in the portal era. Something along the lines of "The irony of recruiting top tier QBs is you have to recruit more of them because they scare each other off."  

I understand that for CFB QB recruiting, because there's only 12-15 games per season, but the thing is - you play 60+ games in college softball (normally, fuck COVID).  There's PLENTY of playing time for 3 pitchers.  Riding one or two for 60+ games is really fucking hard.  Hell, even 3 pitchers + Day, you probably are looking at O'Leary getting 20-25 starts, Simpson getting 15-18 starts, a grad transfer or third pitcher getting 13-15 starts and Day getting 5-6 midweek games or really bad competition in a tournament setting.

I'm hesitant to go into the season with 2 + Day, because one extended injury and we are fucked. 

Here's how many pitchers started games for the 8 teams in the WCWS:

• UCLA - Garcia got 18 starts, Faraimo got 19 starts and Azevedo got 12 starts (54 games)
  • OU - Juarez got 26 starts, Saile got 18 starts, and freshman Nicole May got 13 starts (60 games)
  • FSU - Sandercock got 26 starts, Arnold got 23 starts and Watson got 12 starts (63 games)
  • Alabama - Fouts got 32 starts, Kilfoyl got 16 starts and Goodman got 8 starts (61 games)
  • Arizona - Denham got 26 starts, Bowen got 16 starts and Lopez got 12 starts (56 games)
  • OSU - Eberle got 31 starts, Maxwell got 19 starts and Simunek got 7 starts (60 games)
  • JMU - Odicci got 22 starts, Humphrey got 15 starts and Bermudez got 8 starts (45 games)
  • Georgia - Avant got 32 starts, Cutting/Mathis got 8 starts, and two pitchers had 5 and 4 starts (57 games)

For comparison - Shea got 25, Jacobsen got 17 and White got 7 (Day got 5) in 57 games. 

There's no reason why we can't find a grad transfer or third pitcher in the portal if Mike is honest with them - you may only get 12-15 starts, but you will play.  Look at OU for that example - O'Leary getting the most starts, a transfer pitcher with experience getting 15-18 and Simpson getting a dozen or so to acclimate to college is the ideal way to get far in the postseason. 

I just don't feel comfortable with Shea getting 30 starts, freshman Simpson getting 20 starts and the rest go to Day.  Feels like we are sort of out of the "freshman ace is going to pitch A LOT" era - the portal means you can acclimate her to the game early, so she's effective by the time you get to OKC.   

Day also had a worse ERA than Simpson.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

I understand that for CFB QB recruiting, because there's only 12-15 games per season, but the thing is - you play 60+ games in college softball (normally, fuck COVID).  There's PLENTY of playing time for 3 pitchers.  Riding one or two for 60+ games is really fucking hard.  Hell, even 3 pitchers + Day, you probably are looking at O'Leary getting 20-25 starts, Simpson getting 15-18 starts, a grad transfer or third pitcher getting 13-15 starts and Day getting 5-6 midweek games or really bad competition in a tournament setting.

I'm hesitant to go into the season with 2 + Day, because one extended injury and we are fucked. 

Here's how many pitchers started games for the 8 teams in the WCWS:

• UCLA - Garcia got 18 starts, Faraimo got 19 starts and Azevedo got 12 starts (54 games)
  • OU - Juarez got 26 starts, Saile got 18 starts, and freshman Nicole May got 13 starts (60 games)
  • FSU - Sandercock got 26 starts, Arnold got 23 starts and Watson got 12 starts (63 games)
  • Alabama - Fouts got 32 starts, Kilfoyl got 16 starts and Goodman got 8 starts (61 games)
  • Arizona - Denham got 26 starts, Bowen got 16 starts and Lopez got 12 starts (56 games)
  • OSU - Eberle got 31 starts, Maxwell got 19 starts and Simunek got 7 starts (60 games)
  • JMU - Odicci got 22 starts, Humphrey got 15 starts and Bermudez got 8 starts (45 games)
  • Georgia - Avant got 32 starts, Cutting/Mathis got 8 starts, and two pitchers had 5 and 4 starts (57 games)

For comparison - Shea got 25, Jacobsen got 17 and White got 7 (Day got 5) in 57 games. 

There's no reason why we can't find a grad transfer or third pitcher in the portal if Mike is honest with them - you may only get 12-15 starts, but you will play.  Look at OU for that example - O'Leary getting the most starts, a transfer pitcher with experience getting 15-18 and Simpson getting a dozen or so to acclimate to college is the ideal way to get far in the postseason. 

I just don't feel comfortable with Shea getting 30 starts, freshman Simpson getting 20 starts and the rest go to Day.  Feels like we are sort of out of the "freshman ace is going to pitch A LOT" era - the portal means you can acclimate her to the game early, so she's effective by the time you get to OKC.   

Day also had a worse ERA than Simpson.

Thanks for info.  Simpson's legit but didn't get to see her pitch.  Day threw a ton senior year HS with little backup- soft spot, home town girl.   Saw Emma Strood (LSU commit) pitch and wow.  Simpson played (I believe) same travel club as Strood and apparently clear number 1.  Excited to see us progress.  My daughter has opted out of the travel/select.  Sad but still love the game.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Czech was a top 50 recruit in the '20 class with a 3.14 ERA as a true freshman. 

That's a good get for your 3rd arm/starter. 

NC State fired their pitching coach. So I’ll trust in Mike

On 6/23/2021 at 11:13 AM, Js1 said:

Texas also doesn't NEED a catcher (with Mary having an extra year but Shipman has 2 more years) but Shea's mom wants her at Texas

2021: 304, 9 doubles, 8 HR, 39 RBI and 3-3 SB, .991 fielding and 7 CS
2020 (shortened): .403, 7 2B, 2 HR, 16 RBI, .981 fielding and 3 CS
2019 (in only 22 games): .328, 5 2B, 3 HR, 20 RBI, 1.00 fielding

Honestly, she's a take for her defense and power.  Have her switch off with Mary at catcher, with the other at DP, and Sully at 1B. 

I doubt Texas ever wanted Shipman with Cimusz coming in. Extra Innings has Cimusz as the #12 overall recruit. 

Texas didn't sign all these top recruits to put them on the bench and then have them transfer in a year. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I doubt Texas ever wanted Shipman with Cimusz coming in. Extra Innings has Cimusz as the #12 overall recruit. 

Texas didn't sign all these top recruits to put them on the bench and then have them transfer in a year. 

Field umpire required to run with the batter in case words are said?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 10:52 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

the stability of the program has seemed a bit shaky

White coming with half a lineup's worth of transfer starters was probably a really big pig for the then-current players to swallow.

Until the roster turns over from Clark players, there's probably going to be some instability.

Guess a good time to talk about a potential SEC move.

Holy shit, what a conference.   It'll be softball on steroids.  

OU, Texas, LSU, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Alabama.   

Texas is gonna struggle initially - we're already well behind OU and a shade behind OSU in the Big 12 and we will be moving to a much stronger conference. 

• Like 1