2021 Texas Softball

Machinator

Man.  Whatever it is, that is just weird.  Fucking bizarre.

I don't think there's any possibility that she was a locker-room cancer before she left.  She probably made herself PNG by leaving, though.

And maybe that set up enough mutual resentment to have her transfer in-conference.

I can't remember, does the sit-out rule still apply to in-conference transfers?  I guess last year was her sit-out?

ETA:  answering own question, no there's no more sit out rule.

Also, OSU media with the "(yes you read that correctly)."  Lol wtf.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I don't follow Ultimate College Softball as much anymore because it's full of Daily Texan style MAGA posters lately that threadjack everything into Biden/masks/Trump/the most overhyped, overrated, over talked about player ever in Brooke Vestal.  But there is a bit of a consensus from even the Texas-hating posters that Elish was a bit of a diva/locker room cancer.  The last minute decision to enter the portal, after most teams had picked who they wanted to fill their needs, read that she wanted to come back and Mike White wasn't that interested, so there may be truth to that. 

It may have been chemistry, it may have been money, it may have been that Texas was satisfied with O'Leary/Day/Czech/Simpson/Hulon and was worried Miranda coming back for a year, after abandoning the team right before the start of the 2021 season, would mess with what he and his staff had spent the last 9 months working on with the pitching staff + the development of Czech and Simpson. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there was just a lot resentment among the team leaders (Jefferson, Iakopo, Burke) about Miranda coming back after she left them all out to dry 9 months ago - claiming it was about COVID, moving to Alabama with her gf and then trying to come back to the team after the summer transfer portal madness. 

It's an extremely young team (15 freshman and sophomores + 1 junior transfer and only 6 seniors and juniors) and how they view the program in their early careers probably matters a lot.  

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don't follow Ultimate College Softball as much anymore because it's full of Daily Texan style MAGA posters lately that threadjack everything into Biden/masks/Trump/the most overhyped, overrated, over talked about player ever in Brooke Vestal.  But there is a bit of a consensus from even the Texas-hating posters that Elish was a bit of a diva/locker room cancer.  The last minute decision to enter the portal, after most teams had picked who they wanted to fill their needs, read that she wanted to come back and Mike White wasn't that interested, so there may be truth to that. 

It may have been chemistry, it may have been money, it may have been that Texas was satisfied with O'Leary/Day/Czech/Simpson/Hulon and was worried Miranda coming back for a year, after abandoning the team right before the start of the 2021 season, would mess with what he and his staff had spent the last 9 months working on with the pitching staff + the development of Czech and Simpson. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there was just a lot resentment among the team leaders (Jefferson, Iakopo, Burke) about Miranda coming back after she left them all out to dry 9 months ago - claiming it was about COVID, moving to Alabama with her gf and then trying to come back to the team after the summer transfer portal madness. 

It's an extremely young team (15 freshman and sophomores + 1 junior transfer and only 6 seniors and juniors) and how they view the program in their early careers probably matters a lot.  

Fair enough.  She sure seemed outwardly to be a team leader when she was here.  Guess you never can tell.  And I guess when someone is that productive, everyone puts up with a lot of shit.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fair enough.  She sure seemed outwardly to be a team leader when she was here.  Guess you never can tell.  And I guess when someone is that productive, everyone puts up with a lot of shit.

I have no doubt she was a team leader - we were a bit lost without her in 2021 and went through a lot of growing pains.  Her 2020 was on pace to be a First Team AA type of season for her before COVID. 

I think her ditching the team last minute diminished her in the eyes of her teammates.  And then leaving Austin for the whole spring season and summer and then trying to come back last minute wasn't a good look.  If she had every intention of coming back to the team from the start, I think it would be different and she'd have been welcomed back.  She could have stuck around in Austin in 2021, trained/worked out privately, supported the team by being at games during the 2021 season - but she didn't do any of that.  She ran off to Alabama.  She didn't even go home - which would have been understandable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Seems there is lots of hurt feelings in the program over her leaving but in reality, she's not a bad person and was one hell of a leader on this team before the vid was released. She did us and coach a favor by following him. Now, he will adjust and find the right players for his sensitive team.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Seems there is lots of hurt feelings in the program over her leaving but in reality, she's not a bad person and was one hell of a leader on this team before the vid was released. She did us and coach a favor by following him. Now, he will adjust and find the right players for his sensitive team.

what vid?  

Her leaving, after the year she had in 2019, was just weird and very uncharacteristic of a player going into their senior year.  The comment about Covid, to me, just don’t make sense.  Leaving to be with her gf, again, doesn’t make sense, to me…only to come back a few months later.  I just think something wasn’t smooth with her and the other players, when she left.  I may be, and could be totally wrong…just looking at how it all played out.   But, she is gone…and without a doubt, we’ll be facing her when league play begins.  There’s bad blood, for sure.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:50 AM, Js1 said:

I don't think Elish is a bad person but she did Texas dirty. She was within her right to use the Covid excuse but Texas needed Elish last season more than anything. Texas was building the roster based on the idea she would be back for 1 more year and then gone. 

The staff did a damn good job adding arguably the top HS arm (Simpson) and one of the top transfer arms in (Czech). I'm really not worried about pitching at all with O'Leary, Simpson and Czech. That's a top 10 rotation in the country. 

I would be interested if Elish wanted to return to Texas because it really is a bullshit move to put that on the staff after bailing on them. You bail on Texas, Texas spends a full year putting together another elite pitching staff, and then you just say "hey let me be the top arm again" like it's nothing. Nah, that's bullshit. We would definitely lose a couple of these arms too if Elish came back and personally I would prefer the potential of 2 more years of O'Leary, 4 more years of Simpson, and 3 more years of Czech. 

On 9/16/2021 at 9:50 AM, Js1 said:

The last minute decision to enter the portal, after most teams had picked who they wanted to fill their needs, read that she wanted to come back and Mike White wasn't that interested, so there may be truth to that. 

I think this is likely true. When Elish opted out last year I'm pretty sure she had no intention of returning to college softball. She wasn't even discussing softball on social media and seemed like she just wanted to be with her GF. 

Right before school started she probably got the itch to play again and thought she was going to have a guaranteed roster spot back at Texas again. 

Based on her instagram it looks like she's still in Alabama with her GF so I don't think she's even enrolled at OSU yet. Probably waiting until the Spring. This seems like it was a very last minute decision to start playing again.

On 9/20/2021 at 12:38 AM, texasstrong12 said:

I don't think Elish is a bad person but she did Texas dirty. She was within her right to use the Covid excuse but Texas needed Elish last season more than anything. Texas was building the roster based on the idea she would be back for 1 more year and then gone. 

The staff did a damn good job adding arguably the top HS arm (Simpson) and one of the top transfer arms in (Czech). I'm really not worried about pitching at all with O'Leary, Simpson and Czech. That's a top 10 rotation in the country. 

I would be interested if Elish wanted to return to Texas because it really is a bullshit move to put that on the staff after bailing on them. You bail on Texas, Texas spends a full year putting together another elite pitching staff, and then you just say "hey let me be the top arm again" like it's nothing. Nah, that's bullshit. We would definitely lose a couple of these arms too if Elish came back and personally I would prefer the potential of 2 more years of O'Leary, 4 more years of Simpson, and 3 more years of Czech. 

Agree on the pitching stuff, but Miranda is legit at the plate too.  We definitely missed (will miss) that.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 11:48 AM, Js1 said:

Why do you assume the team is sensitive?  That's weird. 

No one thinks she's a bad person. 

I wouldn't say I think she is a bad person, but I do think she is/was a cancer in the locker room and a me first person. She skipped town on her teammates to chase a piece of ass across the country. There is no way her teammates were going to be okay with her just waltzing back onto the team.

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

I wouldn't say I think she is a bad person, but I do think she is/was a cancer in the locker room and a me first person. She skipped town on her teammates to chase a piece of ass across the country. There is no way her teammates were going to be okay with her just waltzing back onto the team.

I can totally agree with that. 

I also think it is important to remember that these are females we are talking about. My daughter was a D1 softball player and I know how they work. They are very team oriented and supportive of one another, but have very little patience for drama and BS. When this all originally went down, my daughter told me right away that she would never welcome a teammate back after they quit on the team.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Curious that everyone is saying she's not a bad person.

Sure, good people do bad things.  But I don't think we have enough information to judge her either way.

It's not up to me to decide she's a bad person overall based on this.  I don't know her.  

Is she a selfish, shitty teammate? Appears so, or she would have stayed in Austin and supported her coach and teammates from the stands in 2021 instead of abandoning them in January and running off to play girlfriend. 

Does the late entry into the portal and subsequent transfer appear to mean Mike and/or the team said no thanks to her return?  Sure looks and feels like it.  You don't decide not to bring back an All-American pitcher unless there's a reason.  Mike recruited her, Mike brought her from Eugene to Austin.   There had to be something there to warrant her entry into the portal instead of a "Returning to Texas for one more year" announcement. 

Edited by Js1

17-1 final in a planned 10 innings. Looks like every pitcher got time. Only the frosh Simpson gave up a run. 

Burke and Cantu homered. Looks like everyone played and all over the field. 

Edited by Js1

Today’s fall ball game is at least a real D-I team. Texas State at 2pm. Let’s see if this hitting anything pitching is for real 

Looks like the final 3 home games for fall ball are on LHN, including today. The other game is at aggy 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yeah Hulon had a rough outing, but Horns win 7-4 in 10 innings

It’s a full 10 so we play out the bottom of the 10th. We “win” 7-4 but we also “won” 5-0 in 7 innings 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

Oh well maybe I spoke too soon then. Fall ball anything goes!

There’s no real rules.

Texas State used the same pinch runner for 2 batters in the 9th. She went to first base to run right after she scored. 😂

We’ve been playing all fall without Mary. So feels good, offensively, to be so good. I worry about her not getting in-game defensive reps.  I don’t think she’ll be catching much, so unless she’s DP, she needs reps at third 

Might as well try to start and piece out the schedule during fall ball:

February 17-20 - St. Pete Clearwater Elite Invitational (TBD on opponents and schedule)
March 18-19 - LSU in Austin (1 game on the 18th and a DH on the 19th)

A couple huge additions in recruiting. 

Kayden Henry (#3 recruit in extra inning)

Victoria Hunter (#17 recruit in extra inning)

Mike White is eventually going to win big here. This is how you recruit. By the '23 recruiting class this will primarily be a roster of 5 star caliber players. White recruits like Elliott and will eventually produce the same type results with this type talent. 

Edit: Just saw that JS beat me to this. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We are going to likely “lose” to aggy but the 6-8th innings are all situational.  6th had each team start with a runner on 1st. 7th - runner on second. 8th - runner on third. 

Aggy led 1-0 after 5 before situational innings 

Tied 1-1 after top 7

3-1 aggy after 7

Edited by Js1

The entire 10th was bases loaded situations to open each inning. Texas took advantage with 4 runs to go up 8-6.  O’Leary comes in and slams the door on aggy’s bases loaded, no outs situation. 

Texas “wins” 8-6 in a planned 10 innings 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The entire 10th was bases loaded situations to open each inning. Texas took advantage with 4 runs to go up 8-6.  O’Leary comes in and slams the door on aggy’s bases loaded, no outs situation. 

Texas “wins” 8-6 in a planned 10 innings 

Hell yea!   Thanks for the updates.