Some Longhorn Names I'd Long Forgotten

Augustus

On 1/26/2021 at 9:16 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

Got damn y'all are old. But at least I know who Bobby "fuck the lions" Layne is. 

Cody Johnson was fucking awesome. He was a brick wall. 

First time I saw Memorial Stadium was during the Bobby Layne era.

Later on about 60+ years ago I remember when Layne was busted for DWI in downtown Austin. Dude loved the hard, fast living.

Good lord. 
When we began to truly turn on Carl Reese in earnest on Hornfans, DD Lewis was one of the biggest complaints. His instincts were shit and he was largely useless outside of randomly landing on fumbles. There were so many people shrieking "trust the corchez!!!!!??" everytime one of us would write a new rant on Mugging Linebackers or the lack of LB development. It became a hysterical topic, and as this was unfolding, Katy was becoming more and more intertwined with Mack and Sally, and getting more and more controlling of the site's content.
It was during this period when a new week of photos from the prior game were released by the UT AD. Those would get subsequently linked to or posted on HornFans. One of the photos had a TB, with the ball, running directly to the right in the photo. Meanwhile, DD Lewis, directly across the LOS was in full sprint to the left, directly away from where the play was going. It was fucking hilarious.
I copied the image, wrote a thread title that said "A Picture Is Worth 1000 Words" and simply posted the photo without comment. The howling from the Reese/DDL defenders, including Tyrone Jones, who posted on the site, reached a very loud roar. There were 300 responses in less than 20 minutes. People making threats at one another, multiple people calling me a motherfucker for posting to which I didn't even add verbiage. Just a bonkers fucking thread. Texas must have lost that game from the prior weekend, thinking about the reactions now.
Katy ended up removing the photo and locking the thread. She then sent me a scathing PM about how sweet DD Lewis is and how hard Reese works and that I'd become mean-spirited. I'd hung out with her some by then and was like "oh come on Katy", and she then got super pissy and threatened to suspend for posting a fucking photo. The photo ended up also getting removed from the UT site, magically. Campus Loop(y), an echeese level shithead, became a moderator on the FB board shortly thereafter. That period is when the downfall of Hornfans began and posters started splintering to other sites, or attempting new sites. Probably 2003/2004. It all beget Shaggy, then Surly. 

Yeah dd lewis's name brought back some whiplash type memories. Carl Reese and mugging linebackers. Reid boyd. Oof.

10 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Here's a couple of names circa 1960. Duke Carlisle and Jimmy Saxton.

Emmet Augustus “Duke” Carlisle III is a former American football player who started as a quarterback and defensive back for the Texas Longhorns in the early 1960s. He was the starting quarterback on Texas' first National Championship team in 1963. In his final game, he set the NCAA record for most yards per pass completion in a bowl game and three Cotton Bowl records on his way to being named the game's Offensive MVP. He still holds the Cotton Bowl record for most yards per pass completion.

Saxton, (May 21, 1940 – May 28, 2014) was an All-American football and College Hall of Fame player for the University of Texas and a finalist for the 1961 Heisman Trophy. He played one year of professional football, winning one AFL Championship with the 1962 Dallas Texans.

I recall Saxton as a skinny 165 lb scatback. Seems like his career was cut short when he was laying on the ground on his back and some big ass defensive lineman decided to come down full weight knees-first on his chest. 

Saxton was literally knocked out of the TCU game in 1961 by a frog that kicked him in the back of the head when the play was over as he was starting to get up after a nice gain. That was Texas’ only loss (0-6) that season. It cost us the game and a national championship that year. The Horns went on to beat #5 Ol’ Miss in the Cotton Bowl and wound up ranked #3 in the AP @ 10-1.

Side note: At the Cotton Bowl, Mississippi Governor Ross Barnett presented the University of Texas with a giant Lone Star flag, which began the tradition of unveiling for display its successors at each home game (+OU & bowl games) today. 

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Nope, I knew Teresa.... also a nice young lady.

Theresa taught at Lamar for a long while from when it was a Junior High to when it is a Middle School.

Off the top of my head...

Matt Davis... his sister Holly Davis (who was a stone cold fox) taught there as well. 
Richard Walton... his mother was good friends with the Lamar principal.

Robert Reed... taught me never to eat more than 3 pieces of pizza. 
Chris Carter.... had drama class with him. Cool ass dude.

Duane Vacek. Enough time has passed. I smashed his girlfriend at the time. Met her on the Riverside shuttle. Hairy bush... when that was a glorious thing. Don’t care, had sex. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

First time I saw Memorial Stadium was during the Bobby Layne era.

Later on about 60+ years ago I remember when Layne was busted for DWI in downtown Austin. Dude loved the hard, fast living.

Holy shit. First, it's crazy that you actually got to see Bobby Layne, but also you might be immortal. God rest his soul. I read he was a hard partier. One of kind that guy. 

22 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That period is when the downfall of Hornfans began and posters started splintering to other sites, or attempting new sites. Probably 2003/2004. It all beget Shaggy, then Surly. 

Hornfans at its peak was a damned good message board. Unfortunately, the ownership of the site treated it more as their personal hobby than a business or an open discussion forum. I got my permaban for wishing Bob Stoops would sit in his idling car in his garage post-2008 BCS screwing. 

In contrast, I am pretty sure immamac just wants to watch the world burn.

Boone Powell

Jason Burleson

Tyson King